The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   First time in 16 years... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/101414-first-time-16-years.html)

jmkupka Mon Jun 06, 2016 07:09am

First time in 16 years...

… I've ever made this call. Please let me know if you consider it ticky-tack BS (as the OC did). R1 on 3B, tagging up on a fly ball. Positioned behind the bag, and as she's timing the catch she rocks back & comes completely off the bag (4-5 inches, no more). "OUT!"

This is PONY, covered under 9.8.w (looked it up after the game). I'm guessing there's an ASA equivalent, intended to prevent a running start.

Again, never saw it happen before, prob because I don't think I ever had a girl set up behind the bag before...

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 06, 2016 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 988226)
… i've ever made this call. Please let me know if you consider it ticky-tack bs (as the oc did). R1 on 3b, tagging up on a fly ball. Positioned behind the bag, and as she's timing the catch she rocks back & comes completely off the bag (4-5 inches, no more). "out!"

this is pony, covered under 9.8.w (looked it up after the game). I'm guessing there's an asa equivalent, intended to prevent a running start.

Again, never saw it happen before, prob because i don't think i ever had a girl set up behind the bag before...

asa 8.7.v

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Mon Jun 06, 2016 08:50am

Sounds good to me!

SNIPERBBB Mon Jun 06, 2016 09:07am

8-20 in nfhs

Dakota Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniperbbb (Post 988229)
8-20 in nfhs

8-6-20 ;)

teebob21 Mon Jun 06, 2016 05:35pm

Ticky-tack? Yes, possibly. The correct call? Also, yes.

IMO: The game revolves around "ticky-tack" calls of a few inches, whether on the plate or the bases. To borrow one of Andy's phrases, don't go looking to pick boogers, but we have to enforce the rules. Taking a position off the base and behind it on a fly-ball tag-up is an out.

SNIPERBBB Mon Jun 06, 2016 05:44pm

If you dont want to get called for stuff, dont make it obvious. Thats one of the things that is quite obvious.

jmkupka Tue Jun 07, 2016 08:41am

One of the amusing side-complaints I heard was, "How did he possibly see that?"

Well, for one thing, my attention was on that foot, for the tag-up.

All I needed was a DC (who knew the rule) take me to task for not calling it. Not gonna leave myself open to that.

robbie Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:05am

I agree with being ready to make the call - However, in ASA is it an umpire call?

I only do NSA and it must be appealed (like leaving early.)

jmkupka Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:57pm

no appeal, runner is out.

MD Longhorn Wed Jun 08, 2016 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 988269)
I agree with being ready to make the call - However, in ASA is it an umpire call?

Yes... calling players out when they are out is an umpire call. :)

jmkupka Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:53am

FWIW, I made the out call as soon as she lifted her foot back... the ball was still coming down.

AtlUmpSteve Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 988269)

I only do NSA and it must be appealed (like leaving early.)

Just for giggles, please check the NSA rule book (I don't have one, don't do that association); is it defined as one of the designated "appeals" in the rule book, does it say that in this specific rule (rather than being added as an additional appeal); or were you simply told to treat it that way?

I only ask, not to doubt you (I don't know you); it seems like a stupid cause to create a major rules adjustment to the defined "appeals".

MD Longhorn Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 988293)
FWIW, I made the out call as soon as she lifted her foot back... the ball was still coming down.

Honestly (not that it mattered), but if you did that, I believe you were premature. Things could have happened after that instant that would render the offense no longer an offense. (Most significantly, the runner not going home)

CecilOne Wed Jun 08, 2016 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 988296)
Honestly (not that it mattered), but if you did that, I believe you were premature. Things could have happened after that instant that would render the offense no longer an offense. (Most significantly, the runner not going home)

Or, being back on the base before the catch/touch???