The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 08, 2016, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Offense appeals checked swing

Why is it that the offense can't appeal a ruling that the batter went too far on a checked swing. We allow the defense to appeal, but not the offense. The reason I ask is I had a situation a couple weeks ago where the batter very clearly checked her swing well before offering, but the plate umpire called her for a swinging strike. The offense wanted to appeal, but we can't accept that appeal (not that this umpire would anyway, even if it was allowed). I would have said no swing, had they been able to appeal.

This umpire was one of those I know everything types. He almost tossed one coach for wanting to come ask me about a call I made on the bases where there was a legit reason the coach would have thought the play could be called differently, based on the coaches angle of the play.
Old Sun May 08, 2016, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

If you want equity, that's a legal position. Under softball (and, in fact, baseball) rules, it is an appeal that no swing was a swing. The opposite isn't an appeal, it is challenging judgement.

Why so? Because an umpire shouldn't guess a swing, he is tracking the pitch, and will only call an obvious swing; we have a base umpire that can provide help we missed a swing. Since he only called the obvious swing, no reason to allow an appeal of that; since he left the questionable ones for appeal, that is why this is the ONLY appeal allowed on balls and strikes judgement.

Pretty sure your partners have questioned your judgment, too; don't think you have the right to overturn their calls.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

And the offense can ask for and on an appeal a checked swing. Sit. 0-2 count Plate umpire calls a ball on and the ball gets by the catcher and the batter runs to 1st.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
And the offense can ask for and on an appeal a checked swing. Sit. 0-2 count Plate umpire calls a ball on and the ball gets by the catcher and the batter runs to 1st.
No, the offense cannot ask the umpire to get help on a check swing. As noted above, the umpire doesn't call a swing unless s/he sees a swing.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

If in that case, OC yells "ask for help", and F2 instinctively turns and asks, "did she go?", I guess I can to to my BU...

Sounds like DMC to me.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
If in that case, OC yells "ask for help", and F2 instinctively turns and asks, "did she go?", I guess I can to to my BU...

Sounds like DMC to me.
Say "no, she is still here".

Besides, the BU will look silly in a tutu.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No, the offense cannot ask the umpire to get help on a check swing. As noted above, the umpire doesn't call a swing unless s/he sees a swing.
Why not? If I don't see a swing and the batter gets to first, I've always assumed I could fix that by asking the BU.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Why not? If I don't see a swing and the batter gets to first, I've always assumed I could fix that by asking the BU.
If you "don't see a swing" and did not call it a swing, then a BU can help.

"No, the offense cannot ask the umpire to get help on a check swing. As noted above, the umpire doesn't call a swing unless s/he sees a swing."
is about when it is called a swing by the PU.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
If you "don't see a swing" and did not call it a swing, then a BU can help.

"No, the offense cannot ask the umpire to get help on a check swing. As noted above, the umpire doesn't call a swing unless s/he sees a swing."
is about when it is called a swing by the PU.
That's my take as well. But notices that Irish was replying to a comment that also agreed with us when he said what he said.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
What are you fixing? Why would the offense ask the PU to go for help on a "ball" call?

If an umpire calls the pitch a strike, s/he did so for one of two reasons, s/he saw the batter attempt to hit the pitch or the pitch passed through the strike zone.

By calling the pitch a strike on the swing, it isn't a guess, the umpire must judge that the batter attempted to hit a pitch.
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
What are you fixing? Why would the offense ask the PU to go for help on a "ball" call?
It was mentioned in reply #3. KR told of this a few years ago, at a Central Atlantic Clinic (I believe 2005 or 2006). This exact play happened at MMFP, with the added info of the pitch going into the dugout. PU called a "ball" (no swing), but the offense wanted to appeal the swing because BR would be awarded first base (dropped 3K).

If memory serves me correct, it was brought up as "one of those things we don't have a ruling."
Old Tue May 10, 2016, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
It was mentioned in reply #3. KR told of this a few years ago, at a Central Atlantic Clinic (I believe 2005 or 2006). This exact play happened at MMFP, with the added info of the pitch going into the dugout. PU called a "ball" (no swing), but the offense wanted to appeal the swing because BR would be awarded first base (dropped 3K).

If memory serves me correct, it was brought up as "one of those things we don't have a ruling."
Well, if that were the case, I was there, but don't remember that one. OTOH, do you remember this one that occurred at the same clinic? A scenario of a pop-up on the 1st base line. P was moving to make the catch and checked up because the BR cut him off. Ball landed fair and then rolled foul. Ruling? Forget the INT, it is easier to just rule it a foul ball.

Yeah, all my guys looked at each other and just shook our head
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

?

Can interference be called on a foul ball?
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Can interference be called on a foul ball?
No, because once a ball is foul, the ball is also dead. BUT, a fly ball has no status until caught or touched, and that is the crux of Mike's play.

As described, the ball rolling into foul territory does not exclude the call of interference. The interference happened on a fly ball, preventing the ball from being caught. Once interference happens, nothing else can happen.
Old Wed May 11, 2016, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

If 2 runners are advancing when interference is called on one of them, what happens to the other runner who was advancing?