The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 28, 2016, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Warm-up Pitches

NCAA rule set.
In a game yesterday the home team was up by 7-0 going to the top of the 7th. The starting pitcher (#11) comes out and throws 2 warm-up pitches then the head coach substitutes(#24) for the right fielder(#13) then makes a defensive switched right fielder(#24) to pitcher, pitcher to RF. Now #24 throws 5 warm-up pitches. Do we have anything?

Does this apply?
10-19-3 A player other than the pitcher of record throws a warm-up pitch.

EFFECT—For a first violation, the umpire shall issue a warning to the offending coach. Subsequent violation by the same team shall result in ejection of the head coach.

Later (the same inning) they switch back #11 to pitcher (we gave her 3 warm-up pitches.)
Old Thu Apr 28, 2016, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

The rule you are looking for is 8.5.2. The pitcher is legally in the game as the pitcher of record after the substitute is reported, and she throws either (1) a warm-up pitch; or (2) a pitch to the first batter if she is not entitled to warmup pitches.

In my opinion, #11 became the pitcher of record for that inning with the first warmup. (8.5.2.1 allows us to remove a pitcher from the position without the requirement to actually throw a pitch or face a batter.) #24 is a legal replacement since she was legally reported before she threw pitches, and gets 5 warmups. (8.5.2.2) When #11 returned to pitch in the same inning, she should not have been granted any warmup pitches. (8.5.2.3)

Last edited by teebob21; Thu Apr 28, 2016 at 03:01pm.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2016, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks that seems sound.
Old Sun May 01, 2016, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Further information from an email from Vicki.

This pitcher has not pitched in this half inning, so she would get her warm-up pitches.

Vickie

Vickie,
I would like to get clarification on a situation that we had in a game this past week.

Bottom of the 7th pitcher of record throws 2 warm-up pitches. Defensive coach has a substitution, the substitute comes in to pitch and the pitcher of record goes to play defense in right field. After a number of batters the defensive coach calls time and brings the right fielder (previous pitcher) back in to pitch. Is the returning pitcher allowed any warm up pitches when she returns to pitch?

We have looked at rule 8.5.2 but still wasn't sure since she hadn't actually pitched to a batter. Thanks for your time.

Vickie Van Kleeck
NCAA Softball Secretary Rules Editor
Old Sun May 01, 2016, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the followup from Vicki, Scooby.

Since we talked about this...I had it happen yesterday. Substitute is entered to pitch in the 5th inning. She throws 2 warmup pitches, and on the second, misjudges the return throw from the catcher and is hit in the head with the ball. The trainer deems she needs to receive treatment and cannot play at this time.

The original pitcher re-entered, took 5 warmup pitches, and finished the game.