The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Warm-up Pitches

I strictly enforce the one-minute between innings or 5 warm-up pitches, whichever comes first.

Haven't had any problem calling Batter Up, even if P got zero warm-ups.

One of the things I now do, is that if P is warming up with a game face on the ground. I automatically deduct one warmup pitch from what I would have given her based on when she started.

If she is out there fairly quick, she gets 4.
If she would have gotten 3, she gets 2.

If P wants to wear a game face and get 5 pitches, she will come out of the
dugout with the game face ON.

I do not inform/announce this, I just do it.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

game face?

Sorry, I missed that in the rule book. I thought umpires were to enforce rules not make them.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

The rule is they have 1 minute between innings. It takes time to put the game face on once the warm-up pitches are done. There is no rule being made up here; just one being enforced more by-the-book than is probably typical.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
I strictly enforce the one-minute between innings or 5 warm-up pitches, whichever comes first.

Haven't had any problem calling Batter Up, even if P got zero warm-ups.

One of the things I now do, is that if P is warming up with a game face on the ground. I automatically deduct one warmup pitch from what I would have given her based on when she started.

I do not inform/announce this, I just do it.

Ok....youre posts are usually good....but this one is crap....

"game face on the ground?" WTH does THAT mean, and WHY would it enter into your judgement of how many pitches she gets?

A lot of pitchers have a routine...some like 2 pitches...some like 4, etc..... if they get out there they get to do their thing..... I will actually give a pitcher longer if she was the last hitter, was on base, etc. Not TOO much longer, but longer.

If they are hustling, they will be close to a minute....no problems...I would say if they arent..THEN put them on the clock a little....no need to be overly officious...

edited to ask "WTH does game face on the ground" mean? Am I missing something?

Last edited by azbigdawg; Mon Apr 30, 2007 at 11:21am.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
game face?

Sorry, I missed that in the rule book. I thought umpires were to enforce rules not make them.
You are right, umpires are to enforce rules, which is what I wrote, and what I believe I am doing.

There are many situations that cause umpires to reduce the number of warm-up pitches that a pitcher may have, all in the spirit of enforcing this rule.

This is clearly a ritual for many of the pitchers who use this product, and it equates to more than one-minute between innings.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
Ok....youre posts are usually good....but this one is crap....

"game face on the ground?" WTH does THAT mean, and WHY would it enter into your judgement of how many pitches she gets?

A lot of pitchers have a routine...some like 2 pitches...some like 4, etc..... if they get out there they get to do their thing..... I will actually give a pitcher longer if she was the last hitter, was on base, etc. Not TOO much longer, but longer.

If they are hustling, they will be close to a minute....no problems...I would say if they arent..THEN put them on the clock a little....no need to be overly officious...

edited to ask "WTH does game face on the ground" mean? Am I missing something?
You are entitled to your opinion, and I am not put out by you referring to my post as crap.

The time it takes to put on this equipment is closer to the time it takes for 2 pitches.

I simply keep my games moving.

Been doing this for almost a full year now, and have not had a single complaint from a coach or a pitcher. Not sure why umpires would get so animated over it.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
5 pitches or 1 minute is the rule.
No legit basis for reducing to 3, if under 1 minute.

Why do some umps have to play "gotcha" or worry about every second later they will get home?

"game face on the ground" - no idea what this means!
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I'd love to put a watch on some of your minutes. Doesn't the time begin from the time the last out was made? I can't see how anyone can throw 5 - they have to huddle and go through all their goofy gyrations and then they take their time throwing. I tell the catcher in the fist inning 5 in the 1st - 3 every inning afterwards uless I tell you differently. I have never ever had a coach or catcher or pitcher complain. Sometimes they only throw one and go down. I'd be willing to bet that by the time they throw 3 it's still more than a minute.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA

I've never seen a pitcher get the total warm-ups allowed completed in 60 seconds.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I was stumped too. Maybe this is in reference to a facemask/helmet worn by the pitcher. She leaves it on the ground during warm-up, then picks it up when its time for a batter.

If so, there is still no reason to change the rules to meet a minor "pet-peave" from an official who obviously has way too much time on his hands. No reason to reduce her amount of pitches if she is still legally within her time limit.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
5 pitches or 1 minute is the rule.
No legit basis for reducing to 3, if under 1 minute.

Why do some umps have to play "gotcha" or worry about every second later they will get home?

Multiple posts with the same question:
The Game Face is a brand name of a protective mask that pitchers and some corners will wear as a protective device.

If under 1 minutes, they get 5 pitches, no question.

I am willing to bet a steak dinner that there isn't a pitcher who out there who has taken all 5 warmup pitches AND THEN put her protective gear on in less than 61 seconds.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why do some umps have to play "gotcha"
WTH is "gotcha"?
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If so, there is still no reason to change the rules
Which rules would those be?

Quote:
to meet a minor "pet-peave" from an official who obviously has way too much time on his hands.
Should I be reading between the lines here?

Quote:
No reason to reduce her amount of pitches if she is still legally within her time limit.
Do I understand you to say that if the pitcher takes 5 pitches, then puts on her protective gear, then the entire infield huddles in the circle for a chat and a cheer, that she is "legally within her time limit?"

My point is that you have one minute between innings. You can choose to spend it however you want, either pitching or what ever else floats your boat.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
I automatically deduct one warmup pitch from what I would have given her based on when she started.

In your original post you made it clear that you had changed the rules to fit your dislike of the pitcher leaving her mask on the ground. You clearly stated, unless I misunderstood, that you automatically deduct one pitch from what she would have gotten originally. I simply pointed out that the rule book gives her 1 minute, despite where her mask is laying. You have no authority as a umpire to deduct from her number of warm up pitches based on wearing or not wearing a mask.

Whether she can accomplish everything she wants to in less than one minute was not your statement or the basis of my argument. The deduction of one pitch from what she would have gotten originally is my point of contention.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I view the one minute rule as a tool to stop unnecessary delay, not a precise time limit as in the time for a basketball team to bring the ball into the front court. Personally, if I notice lolly-gagging, I'll start the mental count. Sure, your games may finish a bit sooner than mine, but if I wanted to speed things up, I could always just call more time outs.

Most pitchers here only take 3 pitches after the first inning. The summer leagues have conditioned them, I think (it is a league rule there: 5 first inning, 3 thereafter.)