The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Courtesy Runner

Here is a situation that happened in my game today. I was on the bases. In the 5th inning Home team changes pitchers. When the Pitcher position comes back up to bat, the starting pitcher, re enters the game. When she reaches base, the coach puts in a courtesy runner for her.

My question is, does this person count as the pitcher if she did not end the last inning on defense in the Pitcher position.

My partner allowed the CR and the game went on without any issue. When the game continued the team in question subbed for the pitcher again.
Old Mon Apr 04, 2016, 08:51pm
High Five Master

In this situation, no, she was not the pitcher. It was the player who last played the position on defense. Ergo, a courtesy runner was not legal in this case.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Blue Devil, I thought so, but didn't want to stick my nose in, since I work very little Fed ball all year long.

Now, if the pitcher had been re-entered into the game, after the starter was on base, could they courtesy run for her then?
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 01:34am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
Thanks Blue Devil, I thought so, but didn't want to stick my nose in, since I work very little Fed ball all year long.

Now, if the pitcher had been re-entered into the game, after the starter was on base, could they courtesy run for her then?
No as the pitcher of record has to get on base by her own merits.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I think all rule books treat this the same.

Also #1, the player used as CR may run for the batting earlier pitcher, but as a substitute and may no longer be a CR.

Last edited by CecilOne; Tue Apr 05, 2016 at 10:16am.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 09:50am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I think all rule books treat this the same.

Also #1, the player used as CR may run for the batting earlier pitcher, but as a substitute and may no longer be a CR.

Also #2, it seems to me that if the mistake is discovered after the fact, that player would then be treated as having been a substitute.
Not quite accurate in #2. If a courtesy runner is entered but is not allowed to do so, she is treated as an Illegal Substitute. When discovered, she is ruled Out and restricted to the bench. I do not believe a coach can retroactively report her as an actual substitute runner for the player she ran for.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Not quite accurate in #2. If a courtesy runner is entered but is not allowed to do so, she is treated as an Illegal Substitute. When discovered, she is ruled Out and restricted to the bench. I do not believe a coach can retroactively report her as an actual substitute runner for the player she ran for.
You are correct of course, too late is too late, guess I was thinking about immediately or about our great victory last night.
I deleted #2 from my post.