The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Courtesy Runner (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/101220-courtesy-runner.html)

outathm Mon Apr 04, 2016 08:30pm

Courtesy Runner

Here is a situation that happened in my game today. I was on the bases. In the 5th inning Home team changes pitchers. When the Pitcher position comes back up to bat, the starting pitcher, re enters the game. When she reaches base, the coach puts in a courtesy runner for her.

My question is, does this person count as the pitcher if she did not end the last inning on defense in the Pitcher position.

My partner allowed the CR and the game went on without any issue. When the game continued the team in question subbed for the pitcher again.

BlueDevilRef Mon Apr 04, 2016 08:51pm

In this situation, no, she was not the pitcher. It was the player who last played the position on defense. Ergo, a courtesy runner was not legal in this case.

outathm Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:06am

Thanks Blue Devil, I thought so, but didn't want to stick my nose in, since I work very little Fed ball all year long.

Now, if the pitcher had been re-entered into the game, after the starter was on base, could they courtesy run for her then?

Insane Blue Tue Apr 05, 2016 01:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 985849)
Thanks Blue Devil, I thought so, but didn't want to stick my nose in, since I work very little Fed ball all year long.

Now, if the pitcher had been re-entered into the game, after the starter was on base, could they courtesy run for her then?

No as the pitcher of record has to get on base by her own merits.

CecilOne Tue Apr 05, 2016 09:13am

I think all rule books treat this the same.

Also #1, the player used as CR may run for the batting earlier pitcher, but as a substitute and may no longer be a CR.

Manny A Tue Apr 05, 2016 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 985860)
I think all rule books treat this the same.

Also #1, the player used as CR may run for the batting earlier pitcher, but as a substitute and may no longer be a CR.

Also #2, it seems to me that if the mistake is discovered after the fact, that player would then be treated as having been a substitute.

Not quite accurate in #2. If a courtesy runner is entered but is not allowed to do so, she is treated as an Illegal Substitute. When discovered, she is ruled Out and restricted to the bench. I do not believe a coach can retroactively report her as an actual substitute runner for the player she ran for.

CecilOne Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 985864)
Not quite accurate in #2. If a courtesy runner is entered but is not allowed to do so, she is treated as an Illegal Substitute. When discovered, she is ruled Out and restricted to the bench. I do not believe a coach can retroactively report her as an actual substitute runner for the player she ran for.

You are correct of course, too late is too late, guess I was thinking about immediately or about our great victory last night. :D :D :D
I deleted #2 from my post.