The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 01, 2016, 11:17am
High Five Master

Stopping the game, listening and giving professional responses to questions, with rules based knowledge should be indication enough that I'm paying attention and giving him due consideration.

Some of these things are just another way for someone to be offended which have nothing to do with offensive behavior. But that's just me, I'm one that lets kids and coaches call me by my first name and I know that really sets others off and they patently do not allow it. I don't see that as respect or lack there of either.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
I have worn glasses since I was 7 years old. So, naturally I have prescription sunglasses. Most of the time at games, I try to wear my regular specs at the conference, and then change to the sunglasses. I figure this way, the coaches understand that I am not dissing them during a game by not taking the sunglasses off. Not that it really matters....
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Stopping the game, listening and giving professional responses to questions, with rules based knowledge should be indication enough that I'm paying attention and giving him due consideration.

Some of these things are just another way for someone to be offended which have nothing to do with offensive behavior. But that's just me, I'm one that lets kids and coaches call me by my first name and I know that really sets others off and they patently do not allow it. I don't see that as respect or lack there of either.

I'm not thrilled with the being called by the first name thing, a certain lack of professionalism there....One thing I do is call the girls 'ladies' instead of 'girls' - gives the players a certain amount of respect, I believe.

If you want to do a sport where the powers that be have arrogance, try volleyball. Their pre and post game mechanics are terrible as far as talking to the coaches and players are concerned. I, and most of my fellow ignore them anyways, but still....

A lot of officials - especially the leadership - tend to forget that sportsmanship is a two way street.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
I'm not thrilled with the being called by the first name thing, a certain lack of professionalism there....One thing I do is call the girls 'ladies' instead of 'girls' - gives the players a certain amount of respect, I believe.

If you want to do a sport where the powers that be have arrogance, try volleyball. Their pre and post game mechanics are terrible as far as talking to the coaches and players are concerned. I, and most of my fellow ignore them anyways, but still....

A lot of officials - especially the leadership - tend to forget that sportsmanship is a two way street.
What do you ask to be called by then?
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 08:04am
High Five Master

As far as the name thing goes, I take it as more a form of respect that coaches and players (most of the time catchers) will learn and remember my name. Anyone can call me blue or ump or sir or whatever generic term that most take as respect. I appreciate them taking time to learn and remember my name
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
I..One thing I do is call the girls 'ladies' instead of 'girls' - gives the players a certain amount of respect, I believe.
I think "ladies" is patronizing, especially teens and under, maybe condescending. There is nothing wrong with the accurate word for young females.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

As far as sunglasses are concerned, most person to person communication is non-verbal, and eye-to-eye contact is a part of that. I don't want to be perceived as this guy,

so, I take my sunglasses off (when I remember... ).

As far as how I am addressed, I prefer to keep a demeanor of approchable yet professionial. In most games, it doesn't really matter that much, but in certain games (e.g. between rivals, in the high school playoffs, in championship tournaments), appearing to be too familiar with one side and not the other can lead to issues.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have worn glasses since I was 7 years old. So, naturally I have prescription sunglasses. Most of the time at games, I try to wear my regular specs at the conference, and then change to the sunglasses. I figure this way, the coaches understand that I am not dissing them during a game by not taking the sunglasses off. Not that it really matters....
I'm talking about regular sunglasses, not script or glasses with photo-grey lens. Then again, I would like to think that wouldn't have to be something that would have to be explained..
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 01:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm glad that you approve of my Oakley prescription half-jackets which, by the way, look exactly like a pair of non-prescription Half Jackets.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As far as the name thing goes, I take it as more a form of respect that coaches and players (most of the time catchers) will learn and remember my name. Anyone can call me blue or ump or sir or whatever generic term that most take as respect. I appreciate them taking time to learn and remember my name
Addressing an umpire by their position is no different than an umpire referring to a player or coach by their position. It has always been Coach, Pitcher, Catcher, Short, #17, etc. Responses are always Yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, no ma'am.

At council meetings, I would run into coaches or players who I would also see on the field. At the meetings, it was Steve, Kirk, whatever and they would address me a Mike. But on the field, it was always Blue, Umpire and Coach.

And then there is the possible problem of undue friendliness on the field that may be perceived by others as bias that could influence the umpire's action on the field.

JMHO
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm glad that you approve of my Oakley prescription half-jackets which, by the way, look exactly like a pair of non-prescription Half Jackets.
Not a........never mind, waste of keystrokes
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 03:10pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

And then there is the possible problem of undue friendliness on the field that may be perceived by others as bias that could influence the umpire's action on the field.

Give me a break. Influence calls bc we are on a first name basis? And if someone has ever percieved that and tried to make it an issue, it came with a one way ticket to the parking lot. We cannot be part of the problem on this kind of stuff. Nip these kinds of issues in the bud and they won't become problems.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Give me a break. Influence calls bc we are on a first name basis? And if someone has ever percieved that and tried to make it an issue, it came with a one way ticket to the parking lot. We cannot be part of the problem on this kind of stuff. Nip these kinds of issues in the bud and they won't become problems.
Happens all the time and I've seen it and heard the complaints even at a national level as an umpire and UIC. I find it hard to believe that you don't believe the "homer" mentality still isn't around the game.

You are right, nip it in the bud by not providing the fodder. That is the only way you can control perception.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

I've not done HS games long enough or frequently enough to have developed relationships with the coaches. There may be 2 exceptions. One is a JV coach that I played softball with many years ago. The other is a varsity coach who also runs a couple of invitational tournaments during the summer that I've worked with. This season, I'm scheduled to only work the varsity coach's team in a scrimmage next Tuesday. Since we're supposed to get snow on Monday and have daytime high temps in the mid-30s on Tuesday, it will likely get postponed.

Otherwise during introductions, I'm Mr. L and my partner is Mr. X. Most coaches undoubtedly forget our names about 3 minutes later. From there, "blue" or "ump" is fine.

About the only time I'll use "girls" to address team members is if it's 10U and I haven't done many of those (knocking on wood here). I do use "ladies" and hear a lot of coaches using that term as well. Coaches also use the gender-neutral (these days) "guys" when pulling the team together. And some do use "girls" as well.

I address coaches as "coach" in any HS or tournament games. In our rec leagues, because I've met with team captains and league officers in pre-season meetings and help critique/draft various bylaws drafts, it's more on a first name basis. Things are much less formal and only get formal when someone doesn't care for a particular call.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2016, 10:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I prefer to nip it in the bud by not humoring coaches and their paranoia. I hire varsity officials in 9 sports for 24 schools and I never hear any stuff like this about the assignments I make.

When the tail wags the dog...