The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Collision at the Plate W/ Video

https://youtu.be/ZiZVvt8tou8

https://youtu.be/o8obIz0tmBo

First attempt to post a video. Here is a collision at the plate. Do you have an ejection? And why or why not? And does rule set make a difference NCAA, NFHS, ASA or others.

Last edited by Scooby; Thu Mar 24, 2016 at 01:07pm.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post

First attempt to post a video. Here is a collision at the plate. Do you have an ejection? And why or why not?
Yes, as best I can tell from the video.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 02:19pm
High Five Master

I'll answer without looking at anything else except videos. I would not have an ejection in either of the two bodies I work, NFHS or Utrip.
Looked like she started to slide then thought better of it and it was just a collision. Contact does not equal malicious, and this for sure does not rise to that level for me.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

In real time, in proper position, I might have an ejection and an out. At full speed, this looks bad with the elbows up & out and the high contact.

However, with the gift of video replay, all I see here is a train wreck on multiple fronts. (1) The runner attempted to slide late, and aborted in anticipation of contact. (2) The forearms came up as a self-protective move. She did not use them to apply extra force to the catcher. (3) The catcher was set low for the coming contact, legally and in possession of the ball, resulting in her getting knocked over like ninepins. (4) There was no umpire at the plate. Video 2 shows U1 heading home late, and in Video 1, PU comes from off-camera behind the play to signal an out.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

I think you could, in good faith, justify either a no call or a malicious contact call.

It all depends on your judgement. I would probably go with a no call and give the catcher an "atta girl" on her way back to the dugout.

My justification to the defensive coach is that I didn't judge the contact to be malicious in nature, player started a slide and made a mid-slide adjustment that caused the contact.

I would, in this circumstance, gladly take a little heat if the defensive coach wanted to give it.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post

First attempt to post a video. Here is a collision at the plate. Do you have an ejection? And why or why not? And does rule set make a difference NCAA, NFHS, ASA or others.
No, I would not have an ejection, but my question is who would? There is no one at the plate to make a call
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

This brings up the more important issue that I address before every game. DO NOT vacate the plate unless you KNOW it is covered. "Rotating" was not designed for infield hits or overthrows. Adjust and cover bases accordingly. Who would think to have U1 run home on an infield hit, overthrow and the ball ultimately getting thrown near his back at 70 mph? Don't be a spot umpire. Don't rely on the manual to explain every situation. If you don't think outside the manual, you'll never learn how to adapt to an actual game situation.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

At worst here is an illegal slide. Would have to have a better angle to read an MC here.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

IMO it is just an ugly slide that resulted in a train wreck. And I question the NCAA mechanics that has no one at the plate for the play?
I guess PU was at 3rd as the manual dictates.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2016, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire@1 View Post
IMO it is just an ugly slide that resulted in a train wreck. And I question the NCAA mechanics that has no one at the plate for the play?
I guess PU was at 3rd as the manual dictates.
I don't know which SEC officials were working this game, but I'm not going to be particularly critical of their original intent here. You can't see it on camera, but I think this PU went a bit too far picking up his possible responsibility at 3B, absent a play...which led to a late read by U1 stranding him 60 feet away. I re-watched Video 1, and the play at the plate happens 5 seconds or less after the BR touches 1B. No one I know can cover the 90+ feet from a calling position behind 1B and move to the point of the plate while staying out of the throwing lane in that amount of time. PU needed to read the play made by F9 a little better.

Last edited by teebob21; Fri Mar 25, 2016 at 01:25am.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2016, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

This is an example of the angles needed on a play. From the original angle of the play, yes I have an ejection. From the first base side view I don't have an ejection. From the position I would be in as a PU covering the play (HS ball), I think I would clearly see the attempted slide and those no eject. Lord knows I had a couple "slides" similar Wednesday in JV ball. Thankfully my game had no collisions.