The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Last night I was at a PCL game between the Rivercats and the Grizzlies. Situation: R2, 2 outs. Line drive single to right, R2 rounds 3B, arrives at the plate just before ball, does not slide, avoids tag, then runs right into PU who is standing on the 1B side of the plate directly in runners path. R2 tries to hold up, but train wreck ensues. F2 stands over the pile with ball in hand, PU is under R2. No signal yet, F2 is standing looking at PU. BR now advances to 2B as F2 is napping. R2 gets up off of PU, and PU signals safe from his back. Catcher is irate, coach is furious, etc. No question to ask, just have never seen a collision like this that involved an umpire. BTW, PU took a few moments to get his bearings, and finished up game with out any problems.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hunter
Last night I was at a PCL game between the Rivercats and the Grizzlies. Situation: R2, 2 outs. Line drive single to right, R2 rounds 3B, arrives at the plate just before ball, does not slide, avoids tag, then runs right into PU who is standing on the 1B side of the plate directly in runners path. R2 tries to hold up, but train wreck ensues. F2 stands over the pile with ball in hand, PU is under R2. No signal yet, F2 is standing looking at PU. BR now advances to 2B as F2 is napping. R2 gets up off of PU, and PU signals safe from his back. Catcher is irate, coach is furious, etc. No question to ask, just have never seen a collision like this that involved an umpire. BTW, PU took a few moments to get his bearings, and finished up game with out any problems.
A risk of 3BE, and some prefer 1BE for this reason, esp. with the throw coming from RF.

I wonder that the runner did not see PU. PU probably does too.

[Edited by mbyron on Aug 15th, 2005 at 02:22 PM]
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

I really think that R2 was so focused on plate and F2 that he did not see PU until he touched home and looked up. He tried to hold up, but PU was maybe 4 feet behind the plate directly in line with the runner. R2 was Freddie Bynum, one of Oakland's prospects. He knelt by the PU until the PU was able to get up. Anyway, I think PU was expecting R2 to slide, not score standing up. It was kind of reminiscent of the Jeremy Giambi/Jeter play in the playoffs a couple of years ago. (Without the collision).

[Edited by Hunter on Aug 15th, 2005 at 04:08 PM]
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hunter
but PU was maybe 4 feet behind the plate directly in line with the runner.
Four feet is generally too close to the action.

Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely too close

If he was only 4 feet from the plate he was definitely too close. He ain't the only one who makes this mistake, but surprised to see it if they are working AAA. Sometimes stuff happens...dang near saw the same thing the other night at Safeco Field from a grizzled vet...

Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

One of Ron Luciano's books has a picture of an MLB umpire (I believe Bill Haller) on the ground on his chest after being runover on a play at the plate he took third base line extended. It has happened before, and will again.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
That is why I always give myself the full circle around home or as much as I can get otherwise. If the backstop is up close to home I will even get back against it.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Close BUT no cigar!

The picture is of the late Lou Dimuro after he was run over by the Yankee's Cliff Johnson.

Lou was atleast 15' from the dish when that contact occurred.

T
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Thanks...my copies of Ron's books have been collecting dust on the shelf for quite awhile...I last read them when I was in college...I just remembered the picture. That is why I posted that "I believe(d)" it was Haller. I certainly wasn't sure. Maybe I thought it was Haller since Ron wrote a lot about him throughout the book.

As for where DiMuro was positioned, I certainly have no clue as to how close/far from the plate he was and did not mean to imply otherwise...I only posted to say that a collision has happened before in MLB and will happen again.

Thanks for the additional info.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

This was even the case at first base, as I think Ron mentions in his books. It was a bang-bang play involving the Cubs and Tom Gorman was at first. The Cubs were batting, Tom got bowled over, and as he was lying on the ground dazed, Leo Durocher came out to argue. Tom asked "Leo is that you?" Leo said yes. tom replied, "Then he's out."