The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Annual rant about poor NFHS test question writing

It is a continuing mystery to me why the NFHS cannot do a better job of writing test questions. Feel free to disagree, but this is as I see it.

This year's examples:
  • A team's warm-up area could legally be behind the bleachers out of the umpire's view. T/F.
This one has already been discussed here, but besides not being addressed in the rule book (only implied at best), this one has the odd problem of how does the umpire rule on something that is out of his view? Silly question.
  • An appeal must be made on the last play of the game before all infielders leave the field. T/F.
I'm pretty sure they did not intend to ask if we need to save up all appeals and make them on the last play of the game or that the last play must always be appealed. I'm pretty sure they meant to ask "Any appeal on the last play of the game must be made before all infielders leave the field." This from an educational organization?
  • Obstruction is called on F2 when she is about to receive the ball while blocking home plate, and comes in contact with the runner sliding into home. T/F.
I'm pretty sure they mean the answer to this to be TRUE, but it is not true in all cases. What about an illegal slide? Sloppy question writing.
  • R1 is on first base; B2 is at bat with an 0-2 count and no outs. B2 swings at a third strike that is dropped by the catcher. B2 runs toward first base. As R1 is diving back to first base, B2 is hit in the back with F2's throw to first base and the ball goes out of play. What is the result of the play? (Multiple choice answers).
This is a HTBT play, since they were not definite enough in their question writing so as to remove the element of judgment. If, in the umpire's judgment, there was no play on R1, there was no interference. Sure, the benefit of the doubt should go to the defense, but the correct answer as written is HTBT.
  • Prior to the start of the game at the pregame conference, the head coach shall be responsible for verifying which of the following?
    A. That the lineup card is correct.
    B. That all players are legally equipped.
    C. That players and equipment are in compliance with all NFHS rules.
    D. B and C only.
    E. All of the above.
Another poorly written question. I'm sure they mean for A, B, & C to be the correct answer, but they offer "All of the above" as the answer. "All of the above" is logically impossible. Again, this from an educational organization?
  • The score of a forfeited game is 7-0 unless the offending team is behind; then the score remains as recorded. T/F.
Well, as written the answer is FALSE, but I'm sure the answer key would say the answer is TRUE. They leave out the condition that for the score to be the score as recorded, it must also be a regulation game. If the offending team is behind 1-0 in the 1st inning, then the score is 7-0.

In addition, we have the following totally irrelevant questions for an umpire:
  • A player is designated in the scorebook by name, jersey number and by fielding position. T/F
  • The catcher is charged with an error on a third strike, passed ball that permits the batter to reach first base. T/F
Why the bleep do I care?

Last edited by Dakota; Tue Mar 15, 2016 at 04:21pm.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
  • Obstruction is called on F2 when she is about to receive the ball while blocking home plate, and comes in contact with the runner sliding into home. T/F.
I'm pretty sure they mean the answer to this to be TRUE, but it is not true in all cases. What about an illegal slide? Sloppy question writing.
Not to mention that "Obstruction is called" is a presumption.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2016, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Hey the basketball questions are just as bad......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
This is always interesting. as the two sports I work, softball and volleyball, are both the only two sports in NYS that do NOT subscribe to NFHS rules and practices. Our state softball group, as you well know by now, uses ASA JO rules as a base with our own mechanics, and we (I should say they) write our own test. It is much more literate, and it is HARD. A very good prep for the season.

Volleyball logically uses the NCAA book as a base, and then they add a few local modifications. The test is open book, and is still difficult. Again, a good prep for the season.

Both state groups, by the way, are at loggerheads with the state over this, which would prefer both groups be NFHS. The rumors are that there a connection with some of the state officials and NFHS that is not exactly above the board, and that's all I will say about THAT!
Old Wed Mar 16, 2016, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
It is a continuing mystery to me why the NFHS cannot do a better job of writing test questions. Feel free to disagree, but this is as I see it.
Yes and I don't disagree.

Don't overthink the questions and you should be fine.
Old Wed May 04, 2016, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Deliberately tricky wording about rare occurrences.

It is not obstruction if an errant throw pulls the first base player without the ball into the path of the batter-runner, and impedes her progress.
a. True
b. False
Explanation 2-36; 8-4-3
OK, if only attempting to catch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
A pitcher is required to pitch until the first batter facing her has completed her turn at bat or the side has been retired.
a. True
b. False
Explanation 8-9-2

------------------------------------------------------------------

Very Ambiguous

R1 is on first base; B2 is at bat with an 0-2 count and no outs. B2 swings at a third strike that is dropped by the catcher. B2 runs toward first base. As R1 is diving back to first base, B2 is hit in the back with F2's throw to first base and the ball goes out of play. What is the result of the play?
a. B2 is awarded second base; R1 is awarded third base.
b. B2 is declared out for interference; R1 remains at first base.
c. B2 is declared out for interference; R1 is awarded second base.
d. B2 has struck out; R1 remains at first base.
e. B2 has struck out and is charged with interference; R1 is declared out as the runner closest to home.
Explanation 8-6-16c Penalty

As discussed, it could be INT if judged so as hindering fielder’s catch, HTBT.
The throw was late enough that R1 had time to advance, react, then return to dive back.

Last edited by CecilOne; Thu May 05, 2016 at 09:24am.
Old Wed May 04, 2016, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

It's a good thing we umpire actual plays in real time instead of words on paper.
Old Thu May 05, 2016, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Nonsense questions

For purposes of an appeal, when a runner passes a base she is considered to have touched it.
a. True
b. False
Explanation 8-3-4
What does “purposes of an appeal” mean, if not that it is a missed base if appealed.

The DP and the FLEX are locked into the same position in the batting order.
a. True
b. False
Explanation 3-3-6g

The “explanation" only says the FLEX in the wrong position is illegal substitution.
The DP and FLEX are not shown in the same position, the FLEX is on line 10 and can move to the DP line.
Although everyone is "locked" in the batting order.
Old Thu May 05, 2016, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

a. True
b. False
Explanation 3-3-6g

The “explanation" only says the FLEX in the wrong position is illegal substitution.
The DP and FLEX are not shown in the same position, the FLEX is on line 10 and can move to the DP line.
Although everyone is "locked" in the batting order.[/QUOTE]

Since the flex is not technically in the batting order (2-7-1) at the start of the game, they are listed in the 10th position on the lineup(3-3-6b), but are not an offesive player. And since the FLEX can only legally bat for the DP (3-3-6d&e) than I think the statement that they are locked to the same position in the batting order is easily True.

2-7-1
ART. 1 . . . Batting Order. The batting order is the official list of starting offensive players presented in the order in which they are to bat and recorded on a lineup card.
3-3-6b
b. The name of the player for whom the DP is batting (FLEX) will be placed in the 10th position in the lineup.
3-3-6d
d. The DP may be substituted for at any time by a legal substitute or the FLEX may play offense for the DP. In either case, the DP will leave the game. If replaced by a substitute, the DP position remains in the lineup. A starting DP may re-enter one time, provided the DP returns to the original position in the batting order.
Old Thu May 05, 2016, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post

a. True
b. False
Explanation 3-3-6g

Although everyone is "locked" in the batting order.
Since the flex is not technically in the batting order (2-7-1) at the start of the game, they are listed in the 10th position on the lineup(3-3-6b), but are not an offesive player. And since the FLEX can only legally bat for the DP (3-3-6d&e) than I think the statement that they are locked to the same position in the batting order is easily True.

2-7-1
ART. 1 . . . Batting Order. The batting order is the official list of starting offensive players presented in the order in which they are to bat and recorded on a lineup card.
3-3-6b
b. The name of the player for whom the DP is batting (FLEX) will be placed in the 10th position in the lineup.
3-3-6d
d. The DP may be substituted for at any time by a legal substitute or the FLEX may play offense for the DP. In either case, the DP will leave the game. If replaced by a substitute, the DP position remains in the lineup. A starting DP may re-enter one time, provided the DP returns to the original position in the batting order.[/QUOTE]

I know, it was my suspicion about the testers throwing in comparisons to other rule books that got me. Someone shows both on the DP line, or used to.
Old Thu May 05, 2016, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

For purposes of an appeal, when a runner passes a base she is considered to have touched it.
a. True
b. False
Explanation 8-3-4
What does “purposes of an appeal” mean, if not that it is a missed base if appealed.

The answer should be false. The runner who passes a base is considered to have touched that base for the purpose of all rules including awards, but not for the purpose of appeals.
Old Thu May 05, 2016, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------

Very Ambiguous

R1 is on first base; B2 is at bat with an 0-2 count and no outs. B2 swings at a third strike that is dropped by the catcher. B2 runs toward first base. As R1 is diving back to first base, B2 is hit in the back with F2's throw to first base and the ball goes out of play. What is the result of the play?
a. B2 is awarded second base; R1 is awarded third base.
b. B2 is declared out for interference; R1 remains at first base.
c. B2 is declared out for interference; R1 is awarded second base.
d. B2 has struck out; R1 remains at first base.
e. B2 has struck out and is charged with interference; R1 is declared out as the runner closest to home.
Explanation 8-6-16c Penalty

As discussed, it could be INT if judged so as hindering fielder’s catch, HTBT.
The throw was late enough that R1 had time to advance, react, then return to dive back.
Wait wait wait. There are no outs and 1st base is occupied. B2 swings at a third strike SO SHE HAS STRUCK OUT FULL STOP. Anything that happens after that is irrelevant to B2. B2's next destination is the dugout, not 2B.

Am I missing something here? B2 is out and R1 can be awarded 3B on the thrown ball to dead ball territory. Or maybe it's INT, although 8-6-16c says offensive team INT is not applicable to a BR running on the dropped third strike rule. HTBT, of course. This player is NOT entitled to run as a BR under the D3K rule, though; she's out already. Answer: (f), no correct answer but (e) is plausible. A thrown ball has gone out of play, so absent an INT ruling, R1 isn't staying at 1B. (A) is the least correct answer, because it's wrong unless I have completely boned the third-strike rule.

Last edited by teebob21; Thu May 05, 2016 at 04:07pm. Reason: typos and stuff
Old Fri May 06, 2016, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
It's a good thing we umpire actual plays in real time instead of words on paper.
AMEN !!
Old Sun May 08, 2016, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

I've said it before and I'll say it one last time

Retired high school teacher here of 32 years. Actually studied test construction in college and put it work work in my career. The True or False items in sports official's tests often end up as reading tests and not a valid test of an official's ability to make correct calls on the field. A well constructed multiple choice test is more reliable/valid. They are not that difficult to construct. In a perfect world, those are the kind of tests we would be taking. See SAT's and such as an example.
Old Sun May 08, 2016, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Wait wait wait. There are no outs and 1st base is occupied. B2 swings at a third strike SO SHE HAS STRUCK OUT FULL STOP. Anything that happens after that is irrelevant to B2. B2's next destination is the dugout, not 2B.

Am I missing something here? B2 is out and R1 can be awarded 3B on the thrown ball to dead ball territory. Or maybe it's INT, although 8-6-16c says offensive team INT is not applicable to a BR running on the dropped third strike rule. HTBT, of course. This player is NOT entitled to run as a BR under the D3K rule, though; she's out already. Answer: (f), no correct answer but (e) is plausible. A thrown ball has gone out of play, so absent an INT ruling, R1 isn't staying at 1B. (A) is the least correct answer, because it's wrong unless I have completely boned the third-strike rule.
I'm glad I am not the only one who caught this.