The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Not for me. I assign a side to each team. I'll usually hold it up, with me looking at the edge, and say: "you are the side you see" and flip it with my thumb and index finger (not just my thumb). If a team gets to the plate meeting first (and it's a youth tournament), I may ask which side she would like.

Pet Peeve with a funny story: why do people have to say "heads" or "tails"? My state flipping coin has a flag on one side and the ASA umpire logo on the other. When I allow a player to choose a side, I'll ask: "would you like the flag or the umpire" (while showing both sides). I make a joke in clinics - "strangely enough, all women players say 'flag'". It gets the usual mix of groans and laughter. I repeated that story to a women's SP team waiting to play (we switch fields due to time, and I was called into service as the UIC). The team thought it was a funny story; when it was time for the actual flip, I look at the dugout and said: "what do you want?" and they all said "the umpire!" I think they lost the flip.
I have rarely ever had to do a coin flip for softball (Rec League championship game once), but I do coin flips for other sports regularly.

Yes, I've had lots of instances where I have had to re-flip. I generally say prior to the coin flip, if I drop it, or it fails to flip, we will do it over.

For Rec League Volleyball I assign the captain on my left side heads and my right side tails. Everyone knows which they are looking for. I do this for flag football as well. This avoids the situations where a team doesn't know who is calling, or I hear a mumbled call.

For HS VB, where we have a designated calling team, I have the team call the toss prior to me flipping it. I have the other team repeat what she called, so everyone knows what was called, then I flip the coin.

I've learned from mistakes how to eliminate many of them.