The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Recommendations for Shin Guards

Hello all,

I'd like to know what your recommendations are for shin guards. I've been using some modified Diamond iX3 shin guards for 7 years, but they need to be replaced. I modified them by removing the top portion of the guard around the knee area and my knees are completely unprotected. I've only been hit there twice in that time and like the freedom that the open knees give. That being said, I'm starting to do higher level ball and need the knee protection.

I've tried the Davis Shins and didn't really like them. My pants kept going between the shin guard and my leg when I stood from my plate position. Has anyone used the Diamond Featherweight? What about the Schutt AiR-U5?

Thanks for your help!
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I've used 3 sets of leg guards in 10 years. To date, my favorites are the All Star Leg Guard LGU313. They're a low profile but still provide decent protection. They don't have real good lower ankle protection, but they're light and comfortable. And they're a 17" model which fit me better.

You're more likely to get hurt in lower level of ball when pitchers start throwing hard without control and catchers can't catch.

I worked one game with just the soccer type shin guards. Late in the game, the coach changed everybody's positions. This girl came out to warm up a new pitcher and proudly exclaimed that this was her first time catching. The 12-year old pitcher could bring some decent heat. Catcher completely whiffed on a pitch and it hit just below my kneecap. Finished the game, but had bad swelling, had to go to the ER for X-rays, ended up on crutches and missed 2 days of work.

So, protect your knees!
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 09:05pm
High Five Master

I use some Wilson triple knee but I don't know the model number. I'm a huge wuss so I like the triple knee protection. And they have the lower hanging flap that covers your shoes as well. Best part was I got them for $10 at a tent sale at a Play It Again sports, brand new

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
The Davis leg guards have always done well for me. I need to replace my current pair, so reading this will be interesting.
Old Fri Jan 01, 2016, 12:32am
Call it as I see it.

I have used the Davis Shinguard's in the past they where good but the straps always stretched out and would loosen up.
I currently use Diamond Ump-lite Shinguard's

They have done me well including high level ball, I am a bigger guy and they still fit under my Base Pants. I like the 2 strap system.

When I am working high level Men's ball I sometimes where Wilson West Vest Umpire Shinguard's.

Nothing hurts when I get hit with these.

Last edited by Insane Blue; Fri Jan 01, 2016 at 12:36am.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
I have used the Davis Shinguard's in the past they where good but the straps always stretched out and would loosen up.
I currently use Diamond Ump-lite Shinguard's
I have been thinking about getting the UmpLites for a couple years, but I don't like how there is no knee strap. I chafe badly on my calves. How tight do you have to get these so that they don't flop around at the knee?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I have the ones without the knee strap and they work perfectly.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 03:45pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I have been thinking about getting the UmpLites for a couple years, but I don't like how there is no knee strap. I chafe badly on my calves. How tight do you have to get these so that they don't flop around at the knee?
I keep mine some what loose and they work great