The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 13, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Play that happened last night:

Adult Softball - USSSA

1 out, runners on 2nd and 3rd. Batter hits deep fly ball to left field. Left fielder makes incredible catch at the fence. Runner on 3rd tags up, scores easily. Runner on 2nd thought the ball was dropped, so he has already touched 3rd, rounded it, then realized the ball was caught. He goes back to second, without retouching 3rd. He is thrown out going back to 2nd - 3rd out. As of now, the run counts because its a timing play, not a force out, correct? The question is, what if the defense appeals the runner missing 3rd on the return to 2nd? Does the run still count?
Old Sat Sep 13, 2003, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ahudgins21
The question is, what if the defense appeals the runner missing 3rd on the return to 2nd? Does the run still count?
That is still a timing play and not a force play. The run would count.

If when rounding third before retreating, the trailing runner passed the preceeding runner, that would have caused the trailing runner to be immediately out with no appeal and with the ball remaining live.
Old Sat Sep 13, 2003, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ahudgins21
Play that happened last night:

Adult Softball - USSSA

1 out, runners on 2nd and 3rd. Batter hits deep fly ball to left field. Left fielder makes incredible catch at the fence. Runner on 3rd tags up, scores easily. Runner on 2nd thought the ball was dropped, so he has already touched 3rd, rounded it, then realized the ball was caught. He goes back to second, without retouching 3rd. He is thrown out going back to 2nd - 3rd out. As of now, the run counts because its a timing play, not a force out, correct? The question is, what if the defense appeals the runner missing 3rd on the return to 2nd? Does the run still count?
It's not possible to have a force out anytime that, at the time of the pitcher, there is a vacant base between the runner in question and the batter.

Old Sat Sep 13, 2003, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

ahudgins21,

No force, you had open base between -

forget it....checked answers, Mike already got it.

Welcome to the board

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Besides the vacant base, keep in mind that, unlike in baseball, in ASA softball "whenever the first out of multiple outs is made by the batter, all forces are eliminated." So there can't be any kind of force after a fly out, or after the batter-runner has been put out on the bases.* And there can be no force outs on preceding runners after a following runner has been put out.

*Of course, it might be possible to concoct a crazy situation in which a runner runs the bases in reverse order and creates a force on himself.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

"*Of course, it might be possible to concoct a crazy situation in which a runner runs the bases in reverse order and creates a force on himself."

The runner would be out for making a travesty of the game.

Bob
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"*Of course, it might be possible to concoct a crazy situation in which a runner runs the bases in reverse order and creates a force on himself."

The runner would be out for making a travesty of the game.

Bob
Not necessarily. A runner is out if the umpire believes they are running the bases in the reverse order to make a travesty of the game.

It is possible that a runner could begin retreating after touching a base to which they were forced. For example, bases loaded, one out. B5 hits a long fly to center and all runners go. As he is rounding 2B, R4 sees F8 dive for the ball and, believing it was caught (it wasn't), reverses his path, retouches 2B and heads back toward 1B. Even though R4 legally touched 2B, when the runner reverses his direction, the force is re-established when he passes the base to which he was originally forced.

You're not going to call the runner out for running the bases in the reverse order, but if the defense gets the ball back to 2B while R4 is still between 1B & 2B, he will be declared out on the force.

Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
, unlike in baseball, in ASA softball "whenever the first out of multiple outs is made by the batter, all forces are eliminated."
All codes, both BB & SB, if the batter-runner has been put out, no runners may then be forced out, by definition.

The only execption I can think of would be Pony SB, in which a BR (or any other runner) is declared out for removing her helmet, but by rule any forces in effect at the time of removal of the helmet remain.

Roger Greene
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
The only execption I can think of would be Pony SB, in which a BR (or any other runner) is declared out for removing her helmet, but by rule any forces in effect at the time of removal of the helmet remain.
Also in ASA (Rule 3-5E.1 EFFECT).
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

All codes, both BB & SB, if the batter-runner has been put out, no runners may then be forced out, by definition.

Of course this is true, Roger, for straightforward plays. However, in baseball, outs at missed bases can still be considered force outs after the batter has been put out. In ASA, they cannot.

Example:

Abel on 3B, Baker on 1B, one out. Charles gets a hit down the RF line. Abel scores. Baker goes to 3B but misses 2B. Charles is thrown out at 2B. The defense successfully appeals Baker missing 2B. In OBR, Fed, and NCAA baseball, Baker's out is considered a force play, because he was forced at 2B either at the time he missed the base (Fed, OBR) or at the time the play began (NCAA). (See the BRD for a full explanation.) In ASA, Charles's out at 2B removes the force on Baker. In baseball, Abel's run doesn't count. In ASA, it does.

Similarly, Abel on 3B, Baker on 1B, one out. Charles doubles but misses 1B. Baker misses 2B on the way to 3B. The defense first appeals Charles missing 1B and then appeals Baker missing 2B. In baseball, Abel's run does not count. Regardless of the order of appeals, both outs are force outs (or, technically, the BR before reaching 1B). In ASA, the out on Charles removes the force on Baker, and Abel's run would count.

The "crazy play" I had in mind was something like what Mike described.

[Edited by greymule on Sep 15th, 2003 at 02:49 PM]
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Greymule,
I'll have to give you that one. I tend to stop thinking of the batter-runner as a BR after reaching 1st and just consider him a runner. However by definition he/she remains the BR until the play ends.

A thought I can't answer without my books. Would the ASA interp apply in Fed SB in your appeal play?

Roger Greene

Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Question

Are you sure about "In ASA, Charles's out at 2B removes the force on Baker"?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Roger: I'm not sure how Fed rules on that play. I stopped doing Fed before I learned that rule. However, if I had to bet, I'd guess that Fed SB follows Fed BB and not ASA. I suspect that ASA made their own blanket rule to make things easy.

Cecil: I'm sure. ASA casebook play 5.5.2. The "order of appeals" play is covered in 5.5.14.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Are you sure about "In ASA, Charles's out at 2B removes the force on Baker"?
Yes.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule

Of course this is true, Roger, for straightforward plays. However, in baseball, outs at missed bases can still be considered force outs after the batter has been put out. In ASA, they cannot.

Example:

Abel on 3B, Baker on 1B, one out. Charles gets a hit down the RF line. Abel scores. Baker goes to 3B but misses 2B. Charles is thrown out at 2B. The defense successfully appeals Baker missing 2B. In OBR, Fed, and NCAA baseball, Baker's out is considered a force play, because he was forced at 2B either at the time he missed the base (Fed, OBR) or at the time the play began (NCAA). (See the BRD for a full explanation.) In ASA, Charles's out at 2B removes the force on Baker. In baseball, Abel's run doesn't count. In ASA, it does.

Similarly, Abel on 3B, Baker on 1B, one out. Charles doubles but misses 1B. Baker misses 2B on the way to 3B. The defense first appeals Charles missing 1B and then appeals Baker missing 2B. In baseball, Abel's run does not count. Regardless of the order of appeals, both outs are force outs (or, technically, the BR before reaching 1B). In ASA, the out on Charles removes the force on Baker, and Abel's run would count.

The "crazy play" I had in mind was something like what Mike described.

[Edited by greymule on Sep 15th, 2003 at 02:49 PM]
My books are still in the van and I'm feeling lazy enough that I don't want to go check them. However, I do have the softball rules differences book on the 'puter and this type of play is not listed as differing between Fed & ASA. More and more, Fed is moving closer to ASA's rulings and standards - and they should. In baseball, there is no national governing body. But in softball, ASA is the national governing body. ASA, Fed, and NCAA are moving closer with each year's rulebooks and interps - they have each been sitting on the others' rules committees for at least the past 4 years.

Steve M