The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 12:47pm
Administrator

Questiona about working the Plate in Slow Pitch Softball.

When I was in college (early to mid-1970s) I played on my fraternity's intramural slow pitch softball team. The university in question required (for liability reasons) that catchers and plate umpires (the umpires were college students) wear masks. I could understand this from a liability stand point.

Fast forward to 1993 (I had already been officiating H.S. basketball since 1971 and college basketball since 1974) when I became a H.S. baseball and fast pitch softball umpire. At that time I did not umpire slow pitch softball because it did not interest me, and it still does not interest me except for a certain level of slow pitch softball.

When Mark, Jr., started officiating basketball (2007) and umpiring H.S. baseball and fast pitch softball (2008), I had been involved in Special Olympics Basketball for over 20 years. When Mark started umpiring we became involved in umpiring S.O. Softball which uses ASA Slow Pitch Rules.

S.O. Softball requires the catcher to wear the same equipment that fast pitch catchers wear. Even after 8 years of umpiring S.O. Softball, neither one of us are comfortable behind the Plate without a mask (and we both wear glasses while umpiring).

Last night Mark had a foul ball whizz past his head. He is young (25 years old) and has quick reflexes, but I, the ball old geezer, whose reflexes are good but not as good as those of one who is 25 years old, just may not get out of the way in time.

This leads to our question about working the Plate: Would it be gauche for us to wear a mask when we are behind the Plate?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

I have heard of SP umpires that wear a mask, but not very many. In fact I could count them on one hand and have fingers left over.

I would think that you may get some grief and a lack of respect from some, if not most of the testosterone fueled SP players out there and that may make it a bit more difficult to umpire the game, but if you feel more protected and confident wearing a mask, go for it.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 02:17pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I have heard of SP umpires that wear a mask, but not very many. In fact I could count them on one hand and have fingers left over.

I would think that you may get some grief and a lack of respect from some, if not most of the testosterone fueled SP players out there and that may make it a bit more difficult to umpire the game, but if you feel more protected and confident wearing a mask, go for it.

Andy:

Fortunately for us, the only slow pitch we umpire is Special Olympics which does not have players who still think they are playing in the Major Leagues. Special Olympics sports are a special brand of athletics that if one has not had a chance to experience then by all means contact your nearest S.O. office and volunteer. I truly believe that one will not regret it.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
When I was in college (early to mid-1970s) I played on my fraternity's intramural slow pitch softball team. The university in question required (for liability reasons) that catchers and plate umpires (the umpires were college students) wear masks. I could understand this from a liability stand point.

Fast forward to 1993 (I had already been officiating H.S. basketball since 1971 and college basketball since 1974) when I became a H.S. baseball and fast pitch softball umpire. At that time I did not umpire slow pitch softball because it did not interest me, and it still does not interest me except for a certain level of slow pitch softball.

When Mark, Jr., started officiating basketball (2007) and umpiring H.S. baseball and fast pitch softball (2008), I had been involved in Special Olympics Basketball for over 20 years. When Mark started umpiring we became involved in umpiring S.O. Softball which uses ASA Slow Pitch Rules.

S.O. Softball requires the catcher to wear the same equipment that fast pitch catchers wear. Even after 8 years of umpiring S.O. Softball, neither one of us are comfortable behind the Plate without a mask (and we both wear glasses while umpiring).

Last night Mark had a foul ball whizz past his head. He is young (25 years old) and has quick reflexes, but I, the ball old geezer, whose reflexes are good but not as good as those of one who is 25 years old, just may not get out of the way in time.

This leads to our question about working the Plate: Would it be gauche for us to wear a mask when we are behind the Plate?

MTD, Sr.
Never been hit by a batted ball in SP. I use the same mechanics as in FP. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Never been hit by a batted ball in SP. I use the same mechanics as in FP. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Ditto..all the years I worked it, all the levels....and I'm just a little bigger than you....
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
Ditto..all the years I worked it, all the levels....and I'm just a little bigger than you....
You have an advantage, you scare the ball
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

My $.02.

As a general rule, I think umpires should be free to wear whatever they feel they need to be comfortable. At the same time, I think there are way too many that are judgmental about umpires that choose to wear LESS than others, and are comfortable with that.

All that said, I also have never been challenged by a batted ball in slowpitch; at any level, even if Special Olympics. Pitched balls that bounce; hell, yeah. Foul balls, foul tips; just like fastpitch, in the slot, up as tight as the catcher allows, and dropped to a set, never even been close.

If you have foul balls whizzing by your head, get in the slot, move up as best the catcher allows, and drop to a set with eyes at the top of the zone. It will not only keep you from being hit, but will help your strike zone to be balls that actually drop thru the zone, not based on where balls land. Don't be the guy standing fully upright and straddling the catcher and plate.

Except Darryl, he can probably never drop to that level. Sorry, azbigdawg, just have to call you out on this.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

If you want to wear a mask, wear a mask. No reason to put your mug at risk if you are concerned. Back in the day, there used to be something we called a "slowpitch mask". It looked a lot like the steel fielder's masks the girls wear sometimes, with leather pads like a FP mask. Most of the SP guys and gals worked games with one.
Old Sat Aug 08, 2015, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
If you want to wear a mask, wear a mask. No reason to put your mug at risk if you are concerned. Back in the day, there used to be something we called a "slowpitch mask". It looked a lot like the steel fielder's masks the girls wear sometimes, with leather pads like a FP mask. Most of the SP guys and gals worked games with one.

MacGregor Softball Mask - Walmart.com

Is this what you are talking about?
Old Sat Aug 08, 2015, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I work about 50 slow pitch games a year, about half of which are 1-man games. So maybe I total 30-35 games on the plate.

I do work the slot. I've never been dinged by a foul ball but have had a few close calls. Sometimes on the flat pitches that some of these guys try to jump on, I barely have time to declare the pitch illegal and they're swinging and fouling the ball back, sometime very close to me. Other times, less accomplished players will try to hit the ball while it's over their heads which can also result in an odd trajectory for a foul ball.

I considered using one of the fielder's masks, but the one I got had a strap that went from the top of the mask to a connecting strap in the back. There was no way to be able to use the mask and wear a cap at the same time.

I've worked with 1 umpire in 10 years that wore a mask in slow pitch. Most of the women catchers do wear a mask.

Still knocking on wood...
Old Sat Aug 08, 2015, 02:27pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotakedown View Post

I have seen this mask before in stores and on websites, but I don't think that one can fit it over a full brim ASA hat. If we go with masks we will probably use the masks we use for baseball and fast pitch softball.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Aug 09, 2015, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotakedown View Post

Similar, but more like a true plate mask. I'll see if I can find a picture online...I don't think they sell them any more. Maybe the mask I saw the "old-timers" wear was actually an old-timer mask.
Old Mon Aug 10, 2015, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

I paid good money for my mask, why would I not wear it? Back in college, I didn't wear a mask and got hit by a foul ball, never going back there again without a mask on. No need to buy a slowpitch mask, just use the fastpitch mask that you already use. I don't care if it makes me look less macho, I've got to go to work in the morning and I'm not going to risk a shot to the head. I'm there to provide a service to the teams/community, not to engage in a macho contest.
Old Mon Aug 10, 2015, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Andy:

Fortunately for us, the only slow pitch we umpire is Special Olympics which does not have players who still think they are playing in the Major Leagues. Special Olympics sports are a special brand of athletics that if one has not had a chance to experience then by all means contact your nearest S.O. office and volunteer. I truly believe that one will not regret it.

MTD, Sr.
Mark....my apologies. I did not pick up from your post that the only SP you worked was Special Olympics.

I have worked SO here in AZ a number of times in the last few years. Our ASA State UIC is a part of the SO State Games Planning team and organizes the entire Softball State Games for SO.

I second your opinion that everybody needs to volunteer and work Special Olympics at least once. The only time I ever had a batter give me a high five after striking out.

Great experience!
Old Tue Aug 11, 2015, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I paid good money for my mask, why would I not wear it? Back in college, I didn't wear a mask and got hit by a foul ball, never going back there again without a mask on. No need to buy a slowpitch mask, just use the fastpitch mask that you already use. I don't care if it makes me look less macho, I've got to go to work in the morning and I'm not going to risk a shot to the head. I'm there to provide a service to the teams/community, not to engage in a macho contest.
I am sorry you machismo is challenged somehow. I don't think anyone has commented from that angle. I would just contend that based on the physics of the game, it is extremely unlikely that you need one. It may have something to do with my height, but I have rarely had a ball come anywhere close to my head, even working the slot. I rarely see them used in SP, and there is a reason for that. Do what you are comfortable with.