The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 02:54pm
Back from the DL

Advantage: Always kick over throw-in?

In an attempt to breathe some life into this site, I offer this situation here:

A-1 is moving the ball close to the touchline, as is found by B-2. The referee holds the whistle for a few seconds, to determine advantage. The ball bounces off B-3 and goes out of bounds for an A throw-in.

Is it always better to give A the DFK over the TI, or is there any reason to simply play on?
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'll help to breathe some life into this site and offer my response to get a discussion going. By waiting a few seconds, hasn't the ref already determined and applied the advantage? Throw-in to A.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

A "few seconds" would still allow the referee to go back to penalize the foul....HOWEVER, unless a significant foul, allowing the throw-in will likely be accepted by the players....
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyref01 View Post
I'll help to breathe some life into this site and offer my response to get a discussion going. By waiting a few seconds, hasn't the ref already determined and applied the advantage? Throw-in to A.
Nope, the referee hasn't determined and applied anything until verbally stating and visually signalling for advantage. All that the referee has done is wait a couple of seconds to see an possible advantage will develop which would benefit the offended team more than receiving an immediate free kick.

In the given situation, I would award the kick since no positive advantage developed on the play. I can't think of a situation in which it would be better to have a throw-in than a DFK.
Old Fri Aug 10, 2012, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Nope, the referee hasn't determined and applied anything until verbally stating and visually signalling for advantage. All that the referee has done is wait a couple of seconds to see an possible advantage will develop which would benefit the offended team more than receiving an immediate free kick.

In the given situation, I would award the kick since no positive advantage developed on the play. I can't think of a situation in which it would be better to have a throw-in than a DFK.
It depends on the team. My son's team would prefer a throw-in if the throw-in were to be taken within 20 - 25 yards of the goal line. He is more accurate with his throw-in than most folks are with a kick from that distance.