The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 09:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Refs more likely to penalize taller players?

09:01 AM ET 02.08 | Research on the apparent human tendency to associate size with power and aggression has shown that football referees are notably more likely to penalize taller footballers when they tangle with less lofty opponents, potentially bad news for the 6ft 7in Peter Crouch but a boon for fellow striker Jermain Defoe, who is a foot shorter. A study of more than 100,000 fouls in domestic, European and international football showed that the greater the height difference between the players involved then the more chance the referee will adjudicate in favour of the shorter one.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

This is fairly common in youth leagues, especially in girls' games.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I would have supposed that's a fact. Especially when two players go for a header, the taller/stronger one is more likely to "foul" the smaller player. I think it's fair that the refree rather decides for the smaller player, that's just a little compensation for the physical advantage.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkin View Post
Yeah, I would have supposed that's a fact. Especially when two players go for a header, the taller/stronger one is more likely to "foul" the smaller player. I think it's fair that the refree rather decides for the smaller player, that's just a little compensation for the physical advantage.
Fair my a55. A referee is to insure that no player gains an advantage not intended by rule. Trying to "equalize" between players of different physical size is "political correctness" run a muck. Do not penalize big or small players for where or how they inadvertently contact each other solely due to size differentiations.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2010, 07:09am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Do not penalize big or small players for where or how they inadvertently contact each other solely due to size differentiations.
Concur.

I have to explain this a lot on the basketball court when A1 (the "little guy") runs into B1 ("the big guy") and there is no foul called. No advantage caused by A1.