The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Defensive player dives over the top of an offensive lineman prior to the ball being snapped. Obviously he encroached. What about a personal foul penalty? How would you mark off this penalty? Thanks!
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Depending on how server the hit is, Personal foul. 9-4-3-g says that "No player shall make any other contact with an opponent which is deemed unnecessary and which incites roughness."
Enforce as a dead ball 15 yards from succedding spot.

If it is deemed flagarant you should also disqualify the defensive player
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input. Would you also penalize the encroachment? We had this happen in youth football this weekend. The white hat enforced 5 plus 15. I didn't agree with him (I was the Linesman), but didn't say anything to him since he had the head coach screaming at him.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I beleive you do enforce both penalties in order of occurance. So you would first enforce the encroachment and then the personal foul.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

"dives over the top" implies to me NO Contact. In this case "without contact", you only have encrouchment.

There is a slim possibility it is unsportsmanlike but he would have to be a big showboat to throw that one.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Only a PF if he lands on someone (like QB). And yes - this is 2 fouls.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

A couple years ago, the LB tried to time the snap and jumped over the line of scrimmage. He grabbed the QB by the facemask. We penalized both encroachment and a 15-yard facemask foul.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FredFan7
A couple years ago, the LB tried to time the snap and jumped over the line of scrimmage. He grabbed the QB by the facemask. We penalized both encroachment and a 15-yard facemask foul.
I'd say grasping the face mask would constitute contact!
Old Mon Aug 29, 2005, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dumbref
"dives over the top" implies to me NO Contact. In this case "without contact", you only have encrouchment.
I'd like to see a defensive lineman leap over the offense and not make contact with anyone
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JakeD17
Thanks for the input. Would you also penalize the encroachment? We had this happen in youth football this weekend. The white hat enforced 5 plus 15. I didn't agree with him (I was the Linesman), but didn't say anything to him since he had the head coach screaming at him.
This is a good one. Definitely, encroachment. Then I would penalize or warn depending upon the contact. If the contact is especially egregious it could end with a disqualification. If it only slight, the player gets warned along with the coach. Probably, the penalty would be somewhere in that gray zone.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

I also agree that the term "dive over" means that the defender went head first over the lineman and did not touch him or the touching was slight. This is clearly not a hurdling situation if the lineman was in a set position with a hand on the ground. So any contact would be the deciding factor in whether to throw a DB PF flag.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I would say that a "dive over" in and of itself, even if there is some contact, does not necessarily constitute a PF. If the lineman tries, unsucessfully, to anticipate the snap count, I would have a hard time seeing this as flagrant enough to have a PF.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2005, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

I guess you would have to see it. It was a LB, and he came from a couple of yards back. It was really uncalled for. He landed on the back of an offensive lineman in his 3 point stance. He could of really hurt him.