The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Coach Apologizes

Had a nice situation yesterday. After conclusion of a HS game that went through 2 overtimes and PKs, coach of home team called me over and said, "Bob, I want to apologize for what I said yesterday. It bothered me all night and I'm sorry." Night before I had his team vs another in a game with a partner that, to be honest, was in way over his head but the only guy available that night. We all know that you cannot work the entire field and I didn't try to. Both coaches were tremendoulsy frustrated ... and frankly, I was too. My partner did his best but even after I tried to help him out as much as possible at halftime, he wasn't able to handle this game and blew a bunch of calls. From where I was on the field it looked like things on his end were getting way too mouthy and too physical and that he was trying to explain and reason with kids he should have been carding. Both coaches made some sarcastic remarks but nothing that I heard that was cardable. I think everyone left the game feeling frustrated. When we talked yesterday the coach, whose games I have worked for years, explained that he was sorry .... that he was just frustrated because he knew the other guy wasn't getting the job done and it was hurting the game and his team. I thought it was a show of good sportsmanship to seek me out and come up to me and apologize. I thanked him for the apology, told him I understood and that the previous night's game was ancient history and looked forward to seeing him again soon.