The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Wednesday, February 23, 2005
Coach apologizes for sending in 'goon' vs. St. Joe's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Temple coach John Chaney suspended himself Wednesday for one game and apologized for putting a player in against Saint Joseph's a day earlier for the sole purpose of rough play and quick fouls.

Chaney offered the self-imposed one-game suspension after meeting with Temple president David Adamany and athletic director Bill Bradshaw. He will be replaced on the bench by assistant Dan Leibovitz for Saturday's game against Massachusetts.

"I would like to apologize to Saint Joseph's University, its fans, student-athletes and head coach Phil Martelli for my reprehensible behavior during Tuesday night's game," Chaney said in a statement. "I spoke with coach Martelli today to voice my apology to him and his team."

Chaney said he was not surprised by reaction to Tuesday's home game.

"I'm either good or bad in some people's eyes," Chaney said in a brief telephone interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday. "There's no gray area. I apologized to the people that matter most."

Adamany also reacted to some Temple students spitting in the direction of St. Joe's players and cheerleaders. He said the first few rows of the student section at the Liacouras Center would be empty for Saturday's game as a reminder they should uphold the standards of good sportsmanship.

Upset by what he thought were illegal screens by Saint Joseph's that were not being called by the officials, Chaney turned to seldom-used 6-foot-8, 250-pound Nehemiah Ingram to "send a message."

Ingram started throwing his arms around and tossing elbows, once connecting hard to the chin of Hawks center Dwayne Jones, and had a hard foul on John Bryant that left him sprawled on the court for several minutes.

Ingram fouled out in four minutes, his average playing time for a game this season. He has played in 14 games, averaging 0.4 points and 0.9 rebounds.

Chaney said after the game he was going to send in a "goon."

"Ingram was not the only person I put in there," Chaney said Wednesday. "I put three or four players in there and were telling them to make hard fouls."

Chaney, called for a technical in the second half after berating the officials, said he never wanted his players to hurt anyone.

"I believe that I was certainly responsible and that I victimized my athletes by telling them to make hard fouls without telling them how a hard foul should be committed," he said.

Atlantic 10 commissioner Linda Bruno supported Chaney's decision to suspend himself.

"Coach Chaney's behavior was uncharacteristic of the way he runs his program and I expect that a similar occurrence will not happen again," Bruno said.

Chaney's only other career suspension came in 1994. Temple suspended the Hall of Famer for one game after he threatened to kill then-Massachusetts coach John Calipari at a postgame news conference.

Chaney complained on Monday during an Atlantic 10 conference call that the Hawks were guilty of setting illegal picks and warned he would send in a "goon," to protect the Owls (13-11, 9-4 Atlantic 10).

"My student-athletes are in no way responsible for my actions last night," said Chaney, 721-294 in 33 seasons.

Bryant complained of a sore right elbow on Wednesday and needed X-rays. He will have an MRI on Thursday and was listed as doubtful for Saturday's game against Rhode Island.

"I grew up watching Chaney, I still admire him, but I don't really understand the situation fully," Bryant said Wednesday. "It was just weird. It didn't really hit me until now. Last night, I was up all night. I couldn't sleep."

Normally mild-mannered Pat Carroll of the Hawks started jawing with Ingram during the game.

"He hit DJ a couple of times and then he hit me coming off a screen," Carroll said Wednesday. "I wasn't hoping for any fights to come out of this thing, but you have to stick up for your teammates."

Saint Joseph's clinched a share of its fifth straight Atlantic 10 title with the 63-56 victory.

"I accepted the apology ... there is nothing more that I can do," Martelli told ESPN Radio on Wednesday. "Listen, it's very disappointing because the welfare of the players is all of our responsibility and for whatever the reason last night they chose not to consider the welfare of my players."
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Philadelphia Inquirer

Chaney apologizes, suspends himself

By Ray Parrillo

Inquirer Staff Writer

Once John Chaney got his famous temper under control and calmed down long enough to consider how his actions had transformed Tuesday night's Temple-St. Joseph's game at the Liacouras Center into an ugly example of college basketball, the 73-year-old Owls coach realized he had to take action.

So he did.

Against himself.

Chaney yesterday issued an apology and imposed a one-game suspension on himself that will take effect Saturday when Temple plays Massachusetts at the Liacouras Center.

"I would like to apologize to St. Joseph's University, its fans, student-athletes and head coach Phil Martelli for my reprehensible behavior during Tuesday night's game," Chaney said in a statement. "I spoke to Coach Martelli [yesterday] to voice my apology to him and his team. Temple University president Dr. David Adamany called to express my apology to St. Joseph's University president Father Timothy Lannon."

Early in the second half of the game won by St. Joe's, 63-56, Chaney followed through on a threat he made on Monday to put a "goon" into the game if the officials refused to penalize the Hawks for what Chaney perceives as the use of illegal screens. He claimed his players could be injured by such moving screens.

St. Joe's led, 37-31, when Chaney was called for a technical foul for complaining to the officials about moving screens. He had to be restrained by assistant coach Dan Leibovitz and some Temple players. Chaney then inserted seldom-used Nehemiah Ingram into the game and the 6-foot-8, 250-pound senior almost incited a brawl, wielding high elbows that connected with the Hawks' Dwayne Jones and Pat Carroll. Ingram's most egregious act was when he knocked John Bryant to the floor after Bryant scored on a layup.

Bryant left the game with an elbow injury and was unable to resume playing. Martelli said last night that X-rays taken yesterday on Bryant's elbow were inconclusive and that the 6-7 senior was scheduled to have an MRI exam. Martelli said Bryant was doubtful for Saturday's game at Rhode Island.

Ingram, who has played only 54 minutes all season and committed 21 fouls, fouled out after playing only four minutes.

After the game, Chaney entered the media room after ranting at Atlantic Ten Conference commissioner Linda Bruno that he wanted no more A-10 officials working Temple games. He showed no remorse when told of Bryant's injury.

"That's what happens. That's what happens," he said. "I'm a mean, ornery SOB, you understand? When I see something wrong, I try to right it." He added that he had put Ingram into the game to retaliate against the Hawks for employing moving screens.

The conference was reviewing the incident and considering sanctions against Chaney when the Hall of Fame coach issued a public apology and announced his self-imposed suspension.

"We're more than satisfied by the action taken by Coach Chaney," Bruno said last night from Cincinnati, where she attended the George Washington-Xavier game. "It's not easy for someone to publicly admit he's wrong."

A contrite Chaney yesterday went to Adamany's office, admitted he had made a mistake, and issued apologies to parties from both universities.

"I regret the terrible stigma that I have put on the Temple University men's basketball team and my student-athletes by my actions during Tuesday night's game with St. Joseph's," Chaney said in a statement. "My student-athletes are in no way responsible for my actions [Tuesday] night. Finally, I would also like to apologize to the Atlantic Ten Conference and in particular commissioner Linda Bruno for my behavior.

"I must be accountable for my actions, and in that respect I have imposed a one-game suspension from coaching my team. I would also like to apologize to the Temple University community, the student body, faculty, staff and alumni of our great institution for my actions. These actions are not indicative of what I represent, and I regret them immensely."

In another statement, Adamany expressed concern for Bryant and chastised fans in the Temple student section for cheering as Bryant lay on the floor in front of them. Adamany said the rows nearest the court will remain empty for Saturday's game as a sign of apology to St. Joseph's and a reminder to Temple students that they should show better sportsmanship.

"We are deeply concerned about the misbehavior of some Temple students in the first rows of the student section at the Liacouras Center toward Mr. Bryant when he was down," Adamany said in the statement. "Temple has a proud tradition in sportsmanship and good behavior in all its intercollegiate athletic programs, and Coach Chaney's actions today remind us of that tradition. When any of us violate those traditions, we must take full responsibility for our words and actions. Coach Chaney's apology and self-suspension set an example."

Martelli refrained from discussing Chaney's tactics, saying that his main concern was Bryant's health and that he regretted the controversy had overshadowed a significant victory for St. Joe's, which became the second team in A-10 history to finish first during the regular season for five consecutive years.

"I'm disappointed that all the uproar overshadowed a very significant achievement by a fine group of young men," Martelli said.

The Hawks' win over Temple raised their conference record to 12-1 with road games remaining against Rhode Island and George Washington, the league favorite, and the regular-season finale at home against Fordham on March 5. St. Joe's has defeated Temple six consecutive times, no doubt a source of frustration for Chaney.

Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't Chaney threaten to kill an opposing coach in a fit of anger after a game once? He's about as much of a loose cannon as Bobby Knight is.

Z
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Didn't Chaney threaten to kill an opposing coach in a fit of anger after a game once? He's about as much of a loose cannon as Bobby Knight is.

Z
Calipari at UMASS. Chaney graduates his players, and that's a good thing. But is it enough to give him a pass on the absolutely reprehensible behavior he displays otherwise?
Old Thu Feb 24, 2005, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

Z
Calipari at UMASS.
Too bad he missed, could have been a medal in it for him.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 06:44am
In Memoriam

The follow-up on this one is that the St. Joe's player,John Bryant, that Chaney sent his goon out to get ended up with a broken arm. Looks like the injury will probably put the kid out for the rest of the year too. So.....you have a coach that admits that he deliberately sent a player out to "goon" things up, and the goon that he sent out injured an opponent bad enough to require 8-10 weeks to recover......does anyone else think that maybe the police should be getting involved in this one? Isn't that a planned assault that resulted in bodily harm? What do all our lawyer/refs think about this one?

Personally, I think that this whole scenario is so far over the top that Chaney should be fired for it.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...s-injury_x.htm

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 25th, 2005 at 06:51 AM]
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Calipari at UMASS.
Too bad he missed, could have been a medal in it for him.
I know you hate him, but I don't know why. He's never had any of the bad pub that surrounds some of the other guys we talk about here. Sure he sucked as a pro coach and set the Nets back about a decade, but I don't think that justifies death threats against him.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Angry

It's unbelievable that the commissioner of the A-10 and the President of Temple University haven't taken any action.

Chaney "suspends himself" for one game to cover his a$$ and avoid stiffer punishment.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with the media on this one. Chaney must be suspended for the rest of the year.

It's up for argument if he'd get fired being a 3rd year coach and not a hall-of-famer, but I don't have an opinion on that.

As for pressing charges, I'd hedge against that, but I'd be willing to listen to the arguments for it.

Couple of guys this morning on national radio called the A-10 commissioner, Linda Bruno I think her name is, a "laughingstock." That's just about right.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Chaney just got suspended for the rest of the season. This just came across the radio during a Jim Rome break.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 02:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm not seeing it on ESPN or FOXSPORTS.COM. Are you sure?
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Rest of the Season......

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1999665

Chaney sent player in to foul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- John Chaney was suspended for the rest of the regular season by Temple on Friday for ordering rough play by one of his players, who proceeded to foul out in 4 minutes against Saint Joseph's and broke an opponent's arm.

The Hall of Fame coach had suspended himself for one game Wednesday and apologized for his actions. He will miss Temple's home game against Massachusetts on Saturday and road games against Rhode Island and La Salle, before returning for the Atlantic 10 tournament.

Chaney, angered by what he thought were illegal screen by Saint Joseph's, put in seldom-used 6-foot-8, 250 pound Nehemiah Ingram against the Hawks on Tuesday to "send a message." Ingram fouled forward John Bryant hard, sending him sprawling to the ground and breaking his arm. Jones will likely miss the rest of the season.

Temple president David Adamany announced the suspension in a statement.

"I have advised coach Chaney of this decision and coach Chaney has again expressed his deepest regrets for his actions," Adamany said.

Chaney's only other suspension came in 1994, when Temple suspended him for one game after he threatened then-Massachusetts coach John Calipari during a postgame news conference.

The Hawks (15-9, 12-1 Atlantic 10) clinched a share of their fifth straight conference title, but will likely have to win the conference tournament to earn an NCAA Tournament berth.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 03:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

OOh. So he misses three games rather than one. PULEEZ!
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

So the price of a broken arm is two games?

This kid's career is over but Chaney will be back for the postseason.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Chaney will be fired or forced to resign. Basically, he ordered an assault and battery which will result in Chaney, the university and the goon being liable to the injured player.