The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Son's Senior Night

Last Monday was my son's Sr. night. Rare occasion that they played the JV game first. Ref on fan side jumps to get out of the way of a player and when he comes down he yells out. He popped his groin. I'm sitting on sideline wearing a tie and waiting on the V game and the Sr/Parent introduction and pictures. I see the AD on his cell phone. Then he and 2 coaches talk. AD starts over towards me. I get up and walk towards him. Before he can ask me if I'd do the game, the visiting coach points at me and says, "Get him. He'll do it." I explain that I have a son who is a Sr and will be playing almost the entire game. He says, "I know that. But you'll be fine." So, I get the picture made, fly off for home, get back and do the game.

I loved the comments from some of the visiting parents. "They've got a father who's a ref, but he's a Methodist preacher. He'll be OK." When I ran on the field and the visiting fans saw who I was they recognized me from doing their game earlier in the week. "Oh it's him. He's good. He'll be OK."

Thank God it was a total blow out from the word go. Would have rather been on the sides cheering, but was kind of neat to be on the field for his last regular season game of his HS playing time.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 10:21pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Last Monday was my son's Sr. night. Rare occasion that they played the JV game first. Ref on fan side jumps to get out of the way of a player and when he comes down he yells out. He popped his groin. I'm sitting on sideline wearing a tie and waiting on the V game and the Sr/Parent introduction and pictures. I see the AD on his cell phone. Then he and 2 coaches talk. AD starts over towards me. I get up and walk towards him. Before he can ask me if I'd do the game, the visiting coach points at me and says, "Get him. He'll do it." I explain that I have a son who is a Sr and will be playing almost the entire game. He says, "I know that. But you'll be fine." So, I get the picture made, fly off for home, get back and do the game.

I loved the comments from some of the visiting parents. "They've got a father who's a ref, but he's a Methodist preacher. He'll be OK." When I ran on the field and the visiting fans saw who I was they recognized me from doing their game earlier in the week. "Oh it's him. He's good. He'll be OK."

Thank God it was a total blow out from the word go. Would have rather been on the sides cheering, but was kind of neat to be on the field for his last regular season game of his HS playing time.
Yer good and yer lucky! I assume you were talking to Him in the car.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

If you mean my son, nope. He was driving his own truck. I didn't talk to him onthe field, except to answer his question about how much time was left, but I did have the Captain to tell him to "get that shirt tucked in."
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 12:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If you mean my son, nope. He was driving his own truck. I didn't talk to him onthe field, except to answer his question about how much time was left, but I did have the Captain to tell him to "get that shirt tucked in."
Uh, no.
I was talking about praying before the game.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
To be honest, rev, I have kind of some mixed feelings about that. On one hand, I would like to be able to help out. On the other hand, it's my son's Senior Night and he's not going to have another high school Senior Night. I think I would have gracefully declined due to that.

If they were doing a 3-man system, it would have been no problem for them to go to a 2-man for that game. Is that what the circumstance was like?

Congrats on being there in any way for your son, though!
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

It was 2-man.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Uh, no.
I was talking about praying before the game.

Yep, but it was in the truck, not the car!
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 02:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Yep, but it was in the truck, not the car!
A truck ?
Better yet.