The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Around here, most schools do a little "senior night" presentation to their senior athletes at their last home game. Usually it's pretty quick, but sometimes it can drag on for up to 15 minutes if they have a lot of seniors. It's never been an issue until last year. After sitting their for 15 minutes, the visiting coach asked if his team could have a 5-minute warm-up period before we started the game since his team had been sitting for 15 minutes. We granted it (to both teams) and then the home coach started grousing saying that the visiting coach was being "rude." We ended up starting the game about 20 minutes past scheduled starting time.

Anyone encounter that before or have ideas how to handle it?

Thanks in advance,

Z
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Around here, most schools do a little "senior night" presentation to their senior athletes at their last home game. Usually it's pretty quick, but sometimes it can drag on for up to 15 minutes if they have a lot of seniors. It's never been an issue until last year. After sitting their for 15 minutes, the visiting coach asked if his team could have a 5-minute warm-up period before we started the game since his team had been sitting for 15 minutes. We granted it (to both teams) and then the home coach started grousing saying that the visiting coach was being "rude." We ended up starting the game about 20 minutes past scheduled starting time.

Thanks in advance,

Z
I think you handled it just fine!
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I agree. I think you did the right thing. My wish is that local or state associations would tell the ADs to do these types of ceremonies (including normal intros and national anthem) so that they end before game time. Every school does it, and for the last week and a half of the season, every game you go to starts late. It's a pain in the neck.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 12:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
then the home coach started grousing saying that the visiting coach was being "rude." We ended up starting the game about 20 minutes past scheduled starting time.

You gave the home coach extra time,at his request. How can he realistically complain if you grant a lesser amount of time to the request of the visiting coach?

"Fair's fair,Coach"!
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent point, Jurassic.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Jurassic,

A good point. Wish I'd thought of that line at the time. :-)

Z
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance,

Z
I know my AD contacts the opposing AD beforehand. Our timeline goes like this:

end of JV game
senior ceremony
start of 15-minute warmup period
lineups
anthem
tipoff
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
...It's a pain in the neck.
When I go, I'm there for the night. So, I personally don't care if I get home 15 or 20 minutes later. Many of these "senior night" games have a little extra electricity to them...and I'm just happy I have the opportunity to do that game!