The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Do you guys wear...

...different colored shirts depending on the uniform colors of the teams you do? I'm not a soccer guy (loved the sport as a kid, but didn't stay up with it) but was on Honigs recently and clicked over to soccer just to see what you guys wear. I had a football guy I work with (who does soccer) tell me that here in Texas they wear shorts rain, shine, hot, or arctic cold but I was curious how you did the shirts if another team had yellow ones.

Is yellow standard, or is it a life savers deal like with the baseball guys?
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

There are currently four colors allowed by the USSF: Gold, Red, Black, and Blue.

More than a decade ago the referees always wore black and the teams were forbidden to wear that color. Since there was a strong desire by some teams to wear black and apparel manufacturers saw another way to make money, that was changed.

The teams were permitted to wear black and the referees switched to gold as a primary color. Today the latest instruction is that there is no primary color (yet the admin book still says gold is primary); all four are considered equal, and the referee team should select the one that best contrasts with what the teams are wearing. Ideally there should five different colors on the field: the two teams, the two GKs, and the refs. (At the highest levels the teams are required to change if there is a conflict with the referees, but at the lower and most youth levels the referees make the switch.)

PS The shirts come in both long and short sleeve, so I carry EIGHT shirts to matches!
PPS NCAA shirts are a totally different design and working that requires a referee to purchase eight more shirts!