The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

For all the years officiating football my watch has gone on my left wrist and the index finger of my right hand has started and stopped it. I am left handed.

In checking my equipment I tried the watch on my right wrist using my left index finger to start and stop and it felt more natural.

Any comments?
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 07:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Ed, that is up to you.

Are you left handed?

Are you right handed?

Are you ambidextrous?

This question is like asking is a NBA noose better than a finger whistle. You can use which ever method that makes sense to you. If it works for you, that is all that matters. I am right handed and I would feel funny trying to start and stop my watch with my left hand. But then again, I can play video games or type easily with my left. So I guess it is just a matter of habit and custom
for me.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

I'm right handed, and haven't worn a watch in years. Had to go buy one for officiating this fall, and wear it on the left wrist.

But in addition to all the stuff I picked up and posted in the "Sequence of mechanics" thread, if I had to start and stop my watch, too, I think my head would explode! I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but that's just one more thing to do. When I do, I'm sure I'll try right index finger stop and start.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Stick to what you have done in the past. You'll find yourself reaching for the button and it won't be there because it's on the other hand. I carry my flag and bean bag in the front. Bag on right and flag on left. My habit was to throw flag with the left hand and bag with the right. I am sort of both handed but favor my right hand. Well I had the bright idea that since the flag was used more that it made more sense to put it on my right side. Wrong choice. First game last year fumble on the play and out flies the flag. Forgot that I had swithced sides. Had to explain that it was meant to be the bean bag.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
I agree with the others. Whatever is most comfortable for you. I wear the watch on the left wrist because I am used to it and because of the design, it is really better suited for the left wrist.
Also I put my flag and beanbag in my waistband in front with the flag on the right. I am right handed and it is more important (to me anyways) to be more accurate with the throw of my flag then it is with my beanbag. Others may not agree with that because it is habit the other way or to put them in their pockets.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a lefty, and I've always worn my watch on my right wrist.

Of course, with button design being what it is, do whatever lets you get the best "aim" at the start/stop buttons. And, if you should switch sides, you may want to time a few pre-season televised games for practice, just to get used to reaching for the 'wrong' wrist.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

It's personal preference, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Which arm do you wear your down-indicator on?
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Bushref,

It depends on the position you work. If you are the BJ you are responsible for the timing of the 25 seconds and the timeouts. If you are the referee you need to syncronize times with the coaches. Some other positions may not need watches, but it is a good idea for everyone to have one for all possible instances.
Old Fri Aug 27, 2004, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I'm with SoGARef. I don't usually wear a watch and when I do it's one that wouldn't be any good for timing a game so I went out and got a Timex Ironman that is kept in with all my other game stuff and I consider part of my uniform.

Heck, I don't usually carry a yellow hankie but it just might come in handy when I'm wearing those black and white stripes.

-SW---