The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
High School game... Do you guy to the gym dressed or not? Why or why noy?
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I go dressed because

a) it's too damn cold to go outside not dressed
b) don't want to risk getting arrested.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I go dressed because

Don't think that is what he had in mind.

It depends for me. If it is rec ball on weekends, I go dressed for the game but wear a jacket (which is rather warm in Texas the first part of the season). Primarily because the only place I would have to change is in a public restroom. If it is a HS game through the association or JH with the independent assignor I work for, I change at the school because I will have access to a locker room/officials room.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Our contract with the schools state that we have to wear a coat, dress shirt and slacks, tie. A turtleneck may be substituted for the dress shirt and tie. On really cold days or snow days we can skip the sports coat or suit coat and wear a heavy parka. Woman are similar dressed/business dressed but no tie.

Some of us have taken to just buttoning the top shirt button and no tie. I don’t like that myself. What I do is wear a dark colored undershirt that compliments my dress shirt, this when I where a V-neck sweater over my dress shirt while wearing a sports coat.

Last minute call to do a game, you get what you get.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bludevil1221
If its a high school game I like to dress at the gym because it makes me feel more professional to come to school dressed nice then show up on the court in my uniform.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bludevil1221
High School game... Do you guy to the gym dressed or not? Why or why noy?
For lower-level games, especially in the afternoon, I often go in uniform. For those games, it's often hard to find a gym manager to let you into a locker room even if you do have some time to spare. For J.V. or Varsity, I can't think of a time when I haven't put my uniform on at the game site.
No "suit and tie" type requirements around here..just wear something that's neat and clean.

Z
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Dress at the school. You look more professional than if you arrive in uniform. Also, when you arrive in uniform, the ADs and coaches will wonder if you just worked 5 rec games and are tired. Also, your uniform will stay clean.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 04:56pm
Livin' The Dream

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Our contract with the schools state that we have to wear a coat, dress shirt and slacks, tie. A turtleneck may be substituted for the dress shirt and tie. On really cold days or snow days we can skip the sports coat or suit coat and wear a heavy parka. Woman are similar dressed/business dressed but no tie.

Some of us have taken to just buttoning the top shirt button and no tie. I don’t like that myself. What I do is wear a dark colored undershirt that compliments my dress shirt, this when I where a V-neck sweater over my dress shirt while wearing a sports coat.

Are you kidding me? Telling you what to wear BEFORE a game.
Who cares? Who sees you? If you are there in plenty of time before the game, there is no one in the gym yet. And, if you shower after the game, which I highly recommend, everyone is gone by then!
My God, take the time to go over the case book instead of deciding what the heck to wear!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm,

"Are you kidding me? Telling you what to wear BEFORE a game.
Who cares? Who sees you? "

Well let's see. Several of us actually work varsity basketball. Several of us work (or have worked) in associations where we are asked to view the officials working a JV game before your game.

Let's see:

When you get the gym and tell the AD you are in attendance so he does not have to worry, he/she will see you.

When you go to the locker room from the the stands to dress (whatever your personal timing is to prepare).

Players amy also see you enter a dressing area.

I think you should re-think your statement.

Many, many officials are seen by many, many people.

Oh yes, I forgot one more thing:

In preparing for a game many like to start at home packing their bag, this carries over into the professionism of wearing correct "regular" clothes.

I think you popped-off a little quickly.

(The Original) Tee
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 05:27pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I go dressed because

ROFLMAO!!! Good one Dan!
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tw1ns
Quote:

Are you kidding me? Telling you what to wear BEFORE a game.
Who cares? Who sees you? If you are there in plenty of time before the game, there is no one in the gym yet. And, if you shower after the game, which I highly recommend, everyone is gone by then!
My God, take the time to go over the case book instead of deciding what the heck to wear!!!!!!!!!!!

[/B]
It is called professionalism where I'm from. Coaches have commented on it when they attend our association’s meetings and the ADs require it.

What is the big deal? I have to dress this way for work as do most of us. Members of the military do come in their uniforms.

[Edited by RecRef on Feb 20th, 2003 at 08:27 PM]
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Some of us have taken to just buttoning the top shirt button and no tie. I don?t like that myself. What I do is wear a dark colored undershirt that compliments my dress shirt, this when I where a V-neck sweater over my dress shirt while wearing a sports coat.

I think this is really excessive to be required. If someone doesn't regularly wear suits in thier career, this can be very burdonsome. I would never think it reasonable ask someone to spend 10-20x a game fee to buy clothes to show up in, particularly at the rates we get paid..Or to expect someone to change clothes from their professional day job where such attire would only draw jokes.

I know many people who show up in various levels of attire from jeans/t-shirts all the way to suits. I know several of the best in our area that regularly make the state tourney that arrive at games in jeans. It doesn't seem to impact their ability to officiate nor the coaches/ADs perception of thier ability to officiate. The coaches around here are certainly more intelligent than to think that a suit makes the ref a better ref.

Me, I'm usually in jeans and a nice shirt, sometimes dockers or something similar. The requirement of wearing of suits/ties in my profession was elminated about 20-30 year ago when they realized that it didn't add to the ability of the engineers to do the work.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Feb 21st, 2003 at 12:37 PM]
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 01:46pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

Some of us have taken to just buttoning the top shirt button and no tie. I don?t like that myself. What I do is wear a dark colored undershirt that compliments my dress shirt, this when I where a V-neck sweater over my dress shirt while wearing a sports coat.

I think this is really excessive to be required. If someone doesn't regularly wear suits in thier career, this can be very burdonsome. I would never think it reasonable ask someone to spend 10-20x a game fee to buy clothes to show up in, particularly at the rates we get paid..Or to expect someone to change clothes from their professional day job where such attire would only draw jokes.

I heartily echo the word excessive. I am thankful to live in a rural (redneck) area where such restrictions are probably unheard of. I personally farm for a living (if you can call this living) and have been known to get off a combine, run by my house and change, and beat it to the games. This is not something to be proud of, but I'm sure that I have called a game or two at times with a little grease left stuck somewhere on my person. As long as it's not in my eye, I still know a travel when I see one.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 01:58pm
Livin' The Dream

Re: Hmmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
"Are you kidding me? Telling you what to wear BEFORE a game.
Who cares? Who sees you? "

Well let's see. Several of us actually work varsity basketball. Several of us work (or have worked) in associations where we are asked to view the officials working a JV game before your game.

Let's see:

When you get the gym and tell the AD you are in attendance so he does not have to worry, he/she will see you.

When you go to the locker room from the the stands to dress (whatever your personal timing is to prepare).

Players amy also see you enter a dressing area.

I think you should re-think your statement.

Many, many officials are seen by many, many people.

Oh yes, I forgot one more thing:

In preparing for a game many like to start at home packing their bag, this carries over into the professionism of wearing correct "regular" clothes.

I think you popped-off a little quickly.

(The Original) Tee

"Several of us" up there on your pedestal, "actually work VARSITY games." Oh my gosh. Excuse me. Maybe because I don't have a thousand posts don't ASSUME (....of you and me) I don't work Varsity games.

I work Varsity games. And can you believe it, I am actually working tournament games!!!!!!

There may be a difference in your sitch and mine. I usually do 2 Varsity games a night, girl/boy so we are there BEFORE anyone else and we don't have to sit in the stands and wait for the "dreaded" JV game to get done. But I don't think it would make a difference what I would wear.

Let's just say I don't show up in a tank top and cut off jeans. I wear what I wear to work, Dockers and a collared shirt.

I am sure the AD is more interested that you are at the game, rather than what you are wearing. Who do you think let's us in our locker room?

My Uni is on a hanger with my officials jacket over the top, and I carry a bag with my essentials in it.

And as far as my "professionism" as you put it, or "professionalism" as I would put it, doesn't matter if I am wearing my correct "regular" clothes I always make sure I am being as professional as possible.

Tim, I have re-thought my statement and I have not changed my mind. I hope I didn't "pop-off" too bad this time.

[Edited by tw1ns on Feb 21st, 2003 at 01:17 PM]
Old Fri Feb 21, 2003, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

I am in the same association as RecRef and our Policies and Procedures section of our association's Official's Handbook spells out the dress code. I have noticed over the past couple of years as the workplace dress code (my government office included) has gone to "business casual", more and more of our officials have dressed that way. On many occassions, I have worn a knit shirt (dressy polo type) with a sport coat. I am working the clock tonight for a varsity doubleheader and I wore a suit today -- going straight to the gym from work. The schools also want us to wear our "stripes" when we do the clock. The main benefit to wearing a suit is that my wife tells me that I look so sexy in a suit. Of course she normally tells me that as I am leaving late for work, rather than when I get home at night. Hmmm, maybe that is the problem.