The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Hockey

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Delayed call for bench minor?

Hockey officials -

I'm a basketball coach and former basketball official, but I have a hockey question. I've downloaded the NHL rule book, but the game I was watching where this came up was a youth game (no idea if there are different rules covering this.)

Simply: should the penalty call for a bench minor be delayed if the other team has the puck?

Specifically, team A allows too many men on the ice. The official notices the infraction while team B is on a breakaway. Does the official blow his whistle to stop play immediately, or does he delay the call (raised hand) until team A secures control?

Thanks!

Joe
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 06:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
Hockey officials -

I'm a basketball coach and former basketball official, but I have a hockey question. I've downloaded the NHL rule book, but the game I was watching where this came up was a youth game (no idea if there are different rules covering this.)

Simply: should the penalty call for a bench minor be delayed if the other team has the puck?

Specifically, team A allows too many men on the ice. The official notices the infraction while team B is on a breakaway. Does the official blow his whistle to stop play immediately, or does he delay the call (raised hand) until team A secures control?

Thanks!

Joe
A bench minor is whistled at the same time as any other minor penalty in the NHL.

(I am not a hockey official, BTW, just a guy who watches a LOT of hockey on TV, so give my opinion the weight it deserves -- just above none.)
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
"Too many men" is usually not called unless the extra man affects the game by touching the puck or interfering with an opposing player. If one team had an extra man on the ice and the other team had a breakaway, the penalty would not be called until the offending team touched the puck. By that time the situation may have sorted itself out.
Old Thu Feb 26, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in60 View Post
"Too many men" is usually not called unless the extra man affects the game by touching the puck or interfering with an opposing player. If one team had an extra man on the ice and the other team had a breakaway, the penalty would not be called until the offending team touched the puck. By that time the situation may have sorted itself out.
This penalty is treated the same as any other delayed penalty. Once the Referee notices the infraction he will raise his hand until the offending team has gained possession and control of the puck. At that time the Referee will stop play and assess the penalty.

If a linesmen notices the infraction, he will report it to the referee at the next stoppage of play.

Once the infraction occurs there is no "sorting itself out". The penalty is assessed. If the non-offending team scores, this negates one minor penalty then being served or the minor penalty that would have been assesed.