The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Hockey (https://forum.officiating.com/hockey/)
-   -   Delayed call for bench minor? (https://forum.officiating.com/hockey/51521-delayed-call-bench-minor.html)

JoeT Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:55pm

Delayed call for bench minor?

Hockey officials -

I'm a basketball coach and former basketball official, but I have a hockey question. I've downloaded the NHL rule book, but the game I was watching where this came up was a youth game (no idea if there are different rules covering this.)

Simply: should the penalty call for a bench minor be delayed if the other team has the puck?

Specifically, team A allows too many men on the ice. The official notices the infraction while team B is on a breakaway. Does the official blow his whistle to stop play immediately, or does he delay the call (raised hand) until team A secures control?

Thanks!

Joe

Rich Mon Feb 09, 2009 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeT (Post 577036)
Hockey officials -

I'm a basketball coach and former basketball official, but I have a hockey question. I've downloaded the NHL rule book, but the game I was watching where this came up was a youth game (no idea if there are different rules covering this.)

Simply: should the penalty call for a bench minor be delayed if the other team has the puck?

Specifically, team A allows too many men on the ice. The official notices the infraction while team B is on a breakaway. Does the official blow his whistle to stop play immediately, or does he delay the call (raised hand) until team A secures control?

Thanks!

Joe

A bench minor is whistled at the same time as any other minor penalty in the NHL.

(I am not a hockey official, BTW, just a guy who watches a LOT of hockey on TV, so give my opinion the weight it deserves -- just above none.)

7in60 Thu Feb 19, 2009 09:39pm

"Too many men" is usually not called unless the extra man affects the game by touching the puck or interfering with an opposing player. If one team had an extra man on the ice and the other team had a breakaway, the penalty would not be called until the offending team touched the puck. By that time the situation may have sorted itself out.

jicecone Thu Feb 26, 2009 02:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7in60 (Post 581372)
"Too many men" is usually not called unless the extra man affects the game by touching the puck or interfering with an opposing player. If one team had an extra man on the ice and the other team had a breakaway, the penalty would not be called until the offending team touched the puck. By that time the situation may have sorted itself out.

This penalty is treated the same as any other delayed penalty. Once the Referee notices the infraction he will raise his hand until the offending team has gained possession and control of the puck. At that time the Referee will stop play and assess the penalty.

If a linesmen notices the infraction, he will report it to the referee at the next stoppage of play.

Once the infraction occurs there is no "sorting itself out". The penalty is assessed. If the non-offending team scores, this negates one minor penalty then being served or the minor penalty that would have been assesed.