Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 02:11am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
You can't swing a dead cat in here without hitting a moderator.
Well, Steven, you can't

I'm not sure that political posts are such a great idea or not ... but if we are going to have political (or other random topics) discussions here in the Off-Topic section it's definitely going to stoke the fire.

When the mods participate it upsets the balance a bit ... they can say whatever they want, but can also admonish / discipline other users. I think that when we are discussing officiating that never turns into a big deal — but in this setting it could.

Bottom line: Play nice! There's no reason to get personal or attack someone else, regardless of what we are discussing.

Steven — I'm not sure whether or not your comment to Bob about moderating qualifies as a personal attack (that's why I was alerted to this thread) ... but it certainly is mean and unnecessary. Bob did a great job, especially considering that he was the sole moderator —*if there is any blame for the poor moderating then (or now), it rests with me — so feel free to email me any complaints

Bob is welcome back anytime — I took over all of the moderator duties for a short time to (1) see how much of a pain in the *** it really was to manage and (2) to force myself to get some other moderators lined up because I knew the job was too much for one person. (So, Bob, anytime you want back in the fray just say so -- I imagine you may be enjoying your time off though )

OK ... that is enough of a diatribe for now ... I gotta get back to coding!
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Well, Steven, you can't

I'm not sure that political posts are such a great idea or not ... but if we are going to have political (or other random topics) discussions here in the Off-Topic section it's definitely going to stoke the fire.

When the mods participate it upsets the balance a bit ... they can say whatever they want, but can also admonish / discipline other users. I think that when we are discussing officiating that never turns into a big deal — but in this setting it could.
(I just can't come up with a line under my name as good as Brad's. Every time I see it, I go back and watch the video. "Get away from me, Steve. Get away from me, Steve." It's just priceless.)

I agree with this. I was a bit uncomfortable with the topic, which is why I haven't personally participated. I feel that if I'm going to have a lot of power at the board I also have to have a lot of discretion and sometimes not say some things I'd like to say. It's also why the only comment that was deleted was one that crossed way over the line of good taste (it was just offensive and I'm sure the person who posted it would even agree in a sane moment) and I left some of the other comments in place that would probably get deleted on the other forums.

That said, gang, I think we've all had way too much fun here and I'll just lock it up.

Bob, I can easily set you up if you wish to join in on the fun. Just drop me a note.
Old Mon Nov 19, 2012, 07:39am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
(I just can't come up with a line under my name as good as Brad's. Every time I see it, I go back and watch the video. "Get away from me, Steve. Get away from me, Steve." It's just priceless.)

I agree with this. I was a bit uncomfortable with the topic, which is why I haven't personally participated. I feel that if I'm going to have a lot of power at the board I also have to have a lot of discretion and sometimes not say some things I'd like to say. It's also why the only comment that was deleted was one that crossed way over the line of good taste (it was just offensive and I'm sure the person who posted it would even agree in a sane moment) and I left some of the other comments in place that would probably get deleted on the other forums.

That said, gang, I think we've all had way too much fun here and I'll just lock it up.

Bob, I can easily set you up if you wish to join in on the fun. Just drop me a note.
"Get away from me, Steve!" is actually a pretty good one! LOL

I love discussing politics (as some of the mods will attest to now that we are on Facebook together!) ... however, there is a time and a place ... for me that place is not here —*it corrupts things a little bit instead of just being about officiating. I'd rather have this be a place where we come together with a common goal and common interests. Even just focusing on officiating we have some heated discussions!

For a lot of people officiating is about fun. It's a hobby. An avocation. The vast majority do not do it to support themselves financially ... it's about their enjoyment of being involved in the game and the camaraderie of other officials.

My goal has always been to have this site be an extension of that ... so let's do whatever is best to keep things fun and enjoyable for all.
Closed Thread