The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Rules Committees in Professional Sports.

Hello,

I'm a new member on this board. I signed on this board to see if there are any of you guys that can help with a class assignment. I'm writing a class paper on rules committees in professional sports. I'm planning on concentrating on the NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL. However, I'm willing to include NASCAR, MLS, and Arena if needed.

But, it is hard for me to find some good info on the rules committees on these leagues (with the exception of the NHL). I'm looking for origin of the committees, duties of the committees, procedures, and other related info. I've contacted all four of the major leagues, but they weren't able to give me any really good information that I could use. I'm wanting to know if you guys could point me in the right direction of articles that gave good info about these rules committees. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Morgan
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 09:13pm
Lighten up, Francis.

It sounds like an interesting project, Jeff, but I'm afraid I can't help very much at all. I think that the NFL rules are implemented by the league's "Competition Committee", which I think is composed of owners. I have no idea how the committee members are selected or how many sit on the committee at any time.

Good luck. Hope you find somebody who knows more than I do.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

One tip about MLS: Like every other professional soccer league around the world (that I know of), they use FIFA's Laws, which are made by the International Football Association Board (IFAB). You may find some more information on FIFA's website since they are quite good at publishing manuals, regulations, and guidelines.

Last edited by SethPDX; Thu Oct 23, 2008 at 05:58pm.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks.

Seth, thank you so much for that reply. You have no idea how much that helps.

Does anyone know the process of how Arena's & NASCAR's rules are made? Thanks.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 10:47pm
Archaic Power Monger

Seth's advice regarding FIFA and IFAB are solid. I'd also check out the US Soccer Federation as they publish Advice to Referees and issue interpretations for the USSF sanction.

Might I recommend looking at the National Federation of High School Associations as well? They have a lot of information regarding their various committees and how rule changes are proposed, voted on and considered. The NFHS impacts quite a few more participants than the professional leagues.

Good luck on your paper!
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Actually...

As mentioned in the title, I am doing my paper on rules committees in professional leagues.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 11:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Ah, that I conveniently overlooked. Well if you are able expand or modify your topic, I would at least consider it.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Thanks.

However, the topic is pretty much set in stone. Where are some articles that I could use to verify the info about the MLS, as well as other leagues? I need some articles to cite in the paper.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 01:50pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacker12 View Post
However, the topic is pretty much set in stone. Where are some articles that I could use to verify the info about the MLS, as well as other leagues? I need some articles to cite in the paper.
Are you using IEEE citing? Doesn't matter, just wondering...
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

No, just APA format. I am wanting to find some articles to could have this information in print so that I could cite the sources in the paper. The paper has to be 8-10 pages.
Old Sun Nov 02, 2008, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacker12 View Post
Does anyone know the process of how Arena's & NASCAR's rules are made? Thanks.
Arena Football was invented by Jim Foster (or somebody Jim Foster aquired the idea from, I forgot) with input from various people he consulted. I'm pretty sure Arena Football still has no rules committee, but just dictates their rules from a guy who may take suggestions but ultimately decides on his own -- like Parker Bros. and other makers of proprietary games. They patented the rebounding screen and its method of use to keep the ball in play as applied to football, but that patent's expired by now. Jim Foster originally wanted the entire playing area to be caged in, but they were afraid a player would get his finger caught in the links and sue them so the idea was dropped.

Robert
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
NASCAR does whatever they want in regards to their rules. They don't even publish the book I don't think.

Do a google search for Robin Pemberton or John Darby. Those are the two guys at the top, employed by NASCAR, that make and enforce the rules.

Most NASCAR rules have to do with the car itself, so it wouldn't make much sense for the owner's to be a part of that process.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 03:47pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
It sounds like an interesting project, Jeff, but I'm afraid I can't help very much at all. I think that the NFL rules are implemented by the league's "Competition Committee", which I think is composed of owners. I have no idea how the committee members are selected or how many sit on the committee at any time.

Good luck. Hope you find somebody who knows more than I do.
The competition committee is actually a mix of owners and coaches. I remember Mike Holmgren being so well versed in the rules because he was on the committee that wrote some of the rules.
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 04:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

RUW is correct. Holmgren is knowledgable about the rules, and was on the CC. Not sure if he still is, but I thought that I did hear from Mike Pereria that Jeff Fischer is on the CC right now.