The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 27, 2014, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

rate of pay

I filled in for a crew a couple weeks ago as HL for a varsity game. Round trip mileage as over 200 miles. I got my game check today for $60. I had 50 in gas. They want me to do another one about the same distance from home. I called the AD to inquire as to what I can expect for compensation if I accepted the game, He did not respond. Could you guys give me some idea what you typically get for games and mileage? Typically, here in central and northern Mich AD's pay around $300 for a 5 man crew and $20-$30 for gas. Thanks for your input
Old Sat Sep 27, 2014, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

In ND: $74 game fee for each official, 56 cents/mile for the driver, 6 cents per mile for each rider (not the driver) if the round trip is more than 100 miles.

So, your trip would be $86 for each of the 4 riders; $74 for the driver plus $112 mileage.

It's common practice for the driver to provide food for the crew since he gets mileage which usually covers the gas. The riders fee gives each crew member something for a snack along the way. Most of our trips don't exceed 100 miles round trip.

The fees are set by the state association and are the maximum a school can pay. All of our ND schools pay the maximum. We do some games in Minnesota and the schools there have the freedom to pay what they want but the schools near us in Minnesota pay the ND rate.
Old Sat Sep 27, 2014, 09:21pm
Chain of Fools

Varsity pay for NC is $76.00 flat. We just got a $6.00 increase this season.

We have regional supervisors that assign us. No crew/school negotiations here.
The furthest we travel on Friday is probably 85-90 miles, one way.

The crew is expected to chip in for gas to the driver but most do not accept it in my present group.

If I were in your shoes, unless I was trying to break into a full time varsity position, I would either turn it down or ignore the call if it was on my cell. Expecting to pull a reserve official that distance is ridiculous. Surely there are closer ones to the location they can contact.
Old Sat Sep 27, 2014, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thought I had it bad driving 30 miles for a game.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2014, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

In Washington (state) we get $38 per official for middle school (3-man), $44 per official for Frosh and JV (4-man), and $54 for Varsity(5-man). There is $2 extra for being the referee.
Mileage is negotiated by the state officials association with the state athletic association. It is based on driving distance and the cost of gas when the season begins.
This season the state average is around $17 per official, (for me locally it is $14). Average "in-town" trips are around 15-20 miles, for long distance trips only 1 official is paid for driving. These trips cost around $50-$75. For the few trips involving ferry trips (There are a few schools on the San Juan islands) ferry tolls are also reimbursed, as well as other costs if the trip is overnight. Mileage is the same for all levels.

Jasper
Old Sun Sep 28, 2014, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

We get a flat fee. Right now that highest fee is $71. It might be higher for some private school leagues which do not pay the same as many public schools. Do not get me started on why this is.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 28, 2014, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Since you are a "business" the IRS allows you to take a 56 cents per mile deduction so you write off $112 off your game fee and on paper you lost money on this game.
Old Sun Sep 28, 2014, 01:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
Since you are a "business" the IRS allows you to take a 56 cents per mile deduction so you write off $112 off your game fee and on paper you lost money on this game.
Tom:

To further add to your comment:

Ten years ago I tracked our expenses for all of our cars for one calendar year. I kept track for oil changes, new tires, insurance, new brakes, gas, etc. The result was that my total expenses per mile was 63% of the IRS allowed mileage deduction. My conclusion was that unless one is putting a new replacing and engine every other month and fuel injectors on the other months, always (with the apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) take the IRS mileage deduction.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Sep 28, 2014, 02:09pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
with the apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley
Former SOCON supervisor Dallas Shirley? I was a team manager at WCU back in those days. (Well some of them anyway)

2010 Hall of Fame - J. Dallas Shirley - SoConSports.com—Official Web Site of The Southern Conference
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 07:42am
Official & ***** Member

Here, it's $75 per official game fee (varsity), plus $8 travel per official, regardless of where the game is played. If the $40 (or $56 for 7-man) doesn't cover the actual mileage (we use a rate of $0.50/mile round-trip), our local association makes up the difference.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

It's screwy here in WI. We get anywhere from $55 to $70 depending on where we're at....and very few conferences pay mileage. That's 5 man crew here.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Totally agree. 170 mile round trip for me for 60.00. 3 hours windshield time, 3 hour game(3 OTs) home by 12:30am. Compensation plans need to be addressed.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I agree that the amount of pay does not seem proportionate to the amount of time spent in travel and working the game. However, if you know the normal amount of pay for the area, and milage is normally only paid to one official, then why did you bother the AD? This simply comes down to are you willing to work the game for the $60 you are normally paid?
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

In Southeastern PA it is $72 flat rate for varsity in the league that I work in. Some leagues in my area pay as high as $75 and some as low as $69.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2014, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

I like money as much as the next person. However, I did not choose this avocation to increase my net worth. I had Friday off but one of my assigners needed someone to work with a crew headquartered a ways away. I drove an hour each way for $60.

So be it.