The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   rate of pay (https://forum.officiating.com/football/98444-rate-pay.html)

MRD Sat Sep 27, 2014 08:06pm

rate of pay

I filled in for a crew a couple weeks ago as HL for a varsity game. Round trip mileage as over 200 miles. I got my game check today for $60. I had 50 in gas. They want me to do another one about the same distance from home. I called the AD to inquire as to what I can expect for compensation if I accepted the game, He did not respond. Could you guys give me some idea what you typically get for games and mileage? Typically, here in central and northern Mich AD's pay around $300 for a 5 man crew and $20-$30 for gas. Thanks for your input

Forksref Sat Sep 27, 2014 08:27pm

In ND: $74 game fee for each official, 56 cents/mile for the driver, 6 cents per mile for each rider (not the driver) if the round trip is more than 100 miles.

So, your trip would be $86 for each of the 4 riders; $74 for the driver plus $112 mileage.

It's common practice for the driver to provide food for the crew since he gets mileage which usually covers the gas. The riders fee gives each crew member something for a snack along the way. Most of our trips don't exceed 100 miles round trip.

The fees are set by the state association and are the maximum a school can pay. All of our ND schools pay the maximum. We do some games in Minnesota and the schools there have the freedom to pay what they want but the schools near us in Minnesota pay the ND rate.

HLin NC Sat Sep 27, 2014 09:21pm

Varsity pay for NC is $76.00 flat. We just got a $6.00 increase this season.

We have regional supervisors that assign us. No crew/school negotiations here.
The furthest we travel on Friday is probably 85-90 miles, one way.

The crew is expected to chip in for gas to the driver but most do not accept it in my present group.

If I were in your shoes, unless I was trying to break into a full time varsity position, I would either turn it down or ignore the call if it was on my cell. Expecting to pull a reserve official that distance is ridiculous. Surely there are closer ones to the location they can contact.

NJ Official Sat Sep 27, 2014 09:25pm

Thought I had it bad driving 30 miles for a game.

stratref Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:33am

In Washington (state) we get $38 per official for middle school (3-man), $44 per official for Frosh and JV (4-man), and $54 for Varsity(5-man). There is $2 extra for being the referee.
Mileage is negotiated by the state officials association with the state athletic association. It is based on driving distance and the cost of gas when the season begins.
This season the state average is around $17 per official, (for me locally it is $14). Average "in-town" trips are around 15-20 miles, for long distance trips only 1 official is paid for driving. These trips cost around $50-$75. For the few trips involving ferry trips (There are a few schools on the San Juan islands) ferry tolls are also reimbursed, as well as other costs if the trip is overnight. Mileage is the same for all levels.

Jasper

JRutledge Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:08pm

We get a flat fee. Right now that highest fee is $71. It might be higher for some private school leagues which do not pay the same as many public schools. Do not get me started on why this is.

Peace

Tom.OH Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:16pm

Since you are a "business" the IRS allows you to take a 56 cents per mile deduction so you write off $112 off your game fee and on paper you lost money on this game.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Sep 28, 2014 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom.OH (Post 940759)
Since you are a "business" the IRS allows you to take a 56 cents per mile deduction so you write off $112 off your game fee and on paper you lost money on this game.

Tom:

To further add to your comment:

Ten years ago I tracked our expenses for all of our cars for one calendar year. I kept track for oil changes, new tires, insurance, new brakes, gas, etc. The result was that my total expenses per mile was 63% of the IRS allowed mileage deduction. My conclusion was that unless one is putting a new replacing and engine every other month and fuel injectors on the other months, always (with the apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) take the IRS mileage deduction.

MTD, Sr.

HLin NC Sun Sep 28, 2014 02:09pm

Quote:

with the apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley
Former SOCON supervisor Dallas Shirley? I was a team manager at WCU back in those days. (Well some of them anyway)

2010 Hall of Fame - J. Dallas Shirley - SoConSports.com—Official Web Site of The Southern Conference

CT1 Mon Sep 29, 2014 07:42am

Here, it's $75 per official game fee (varsity), plus $8 travel per official, regardless of where the game is played. If the $40 (or $56 for 7-man) doesn't cover the actual mileage (we use a rate of $0.50/mile round-trip), our local association makes up the difference.

Sturno Mon Sep 29, 2014 09:23am

It's screwy here in WI. We get anywhere from $55 to $70 depending on where we're at....and very few conferences pay mileage. That's 5 man crew here.

KevinP Mon Sep 29, 2014 09:28am

Totally agree. 170 mile round trip for me for 60.00. 3 hours windshield time, 3 hour game(3 OTs) home by 12:30am. Compensation plans need to be addressed.

IAUMP Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:01am

I agree that the amount of pay does not seem proportionate to the amount of time spent in travel and working the game. However, if you know the normal amount of pay for the area, and milage is normally only paid to one official, then why did you bother the AD? This simply comes down to are you willing to work the game for the $60 you are normally paid?

PA Wingman Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:59am

In Southeastern PA it is $72 flat rate for varsity in the league that I work in. Some leagues in my area pay as high as $75 and some as low as $69.

SE Minnestoa Re Mon Sep 29, 2014 01:07pm

I like money as much as the next person. However, I did not choose this avocation to increase my net worth. I had Friday off but one of my assigners needed someone to work with a crew headquartered a ways away. I drove an hour each way for $60.

So be it.