The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Rate The Crews........

Just wondering if anyone wants to give their opinions as to the best ( or worst crew) that they saw the last two days and was there anyone that they were surprised to see the last two days.......
Old Fri Mar 29, 2013, 11:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

I really think the crew that worked the Michigan-Kansas game was outstanding. Everything they had I could understand or agree with. They got the obvious and called what needed to be called. But I will admit that was the only game I watched from pretty much beginning to end. Every other game I watched bits and pieces of the game.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 02:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Although I didn't like the final score, I did appreciate the officiating in the Louisville-Oregon game. It seemed to me that they let the little stuff go and were very consistent from start to finish on their calls. I don't know how a crew could be better than that. They let the players decide the outcome of the game and that's the way it's supposed to be.
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Overall. Absolutely terrible. I cant believe that travel violations are not being called. Too many times, the defense is called for a foul after the offensive player travels. Its hard to watch and when a player's arms accidently connects with a player above the shoulder they have to stop the game and go to the monitor. That sucks.
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 06:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
Overall. Absolutely terrible. I cant believe that travel violations are not being called. Too many times, the defense is called for a foul after the offensive player travels. Its hard to watch and when a player's arms accidently connects with a player above the shoulder they have to stop the game and go to the monitor. That sucks.
Just so you know the rule does not distinguish if an elbow is accidental or not, it is not allowed in most situations. If the coaches do not like that rule, they will change it. They created this monster in the first place.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 11:02pm
Archaic Power Monger

I need to log some more games in my Laz-e-Boy before I can even think about rating these crews...
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 11:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I need to log some more games in my Laz-e-Boy before I can even think about rating these crews...
Haven't seen much this year. Haven't really been that interested, to be honest.

That might explain the performance of my brackets.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

My honest opinion

I've seen a ton of calls I have not agreed with so far this tourney season (men and women).

The above mentioned Baylor-Louisville game is the most controversial.

My biggest complaint about the tourney has not been with the officiating, it is with the rules.

How many times have we witnessed a team without a timeout remaining getting extra time while the officials review how much time is on the clock. This rule has the potential to significantly alter the ending of a game.

The handling of clock issues should be the same as rule 5-10 of the NFHS book. Spending 2 minutes to determine if the clock should read 2.3 or 2.4 remaining is ridiculous when it gives a team what amounts to an additional time out to set up a play they otherwise would not have a chance to set up if the element of human error was still allowed.

If the officials know an error occurred then they should be allowed to review, which has happened a couple times this tourney (like a full second off the clock for example), but when we are talking about the margin of human error) roughly .14 for reaction time we are to nit picky.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:12am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I've seen a ton of calls I have not agreed with so far this tourney season (men and women).

The above mentioned Baylor-Louisville game is the most controversial.

My biggest complaint about the tourney has not been with the officiating, it is with the rules.

How many times have we witnessed a team without a timeout remaining getting extra time while the officials review how much time is on the clock. This rule has the potential to significantly alter the ending of a game.

The handling of clock issues should be the same as rule 5-10 of the NFHS book. Spending 2 minutes to determine if the clock should read 2.3 or 2.4 remaining is ridiculous when it gives a team what amounts to an additional time out to set up a play they otherwise would not have a chance to set up if the element of human error was still allowed.

If the officials know an error occurred then they should be allowed to review, which has happened a couple times this tourney (like a full second off the clock for example), but when we are talking about the margin of human error) roughly .14 for reaction time we are to nit picky.
Blame the coaches and ADs who write the rules. Maybe they like that free time out.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Blame the coaches and ADs who write the rules. Maybe they like that free time out.
No problem with doing that. It seems like the NCAA (the coaches, and AD's as well) speak out of both sides of their mouths. One one side they complain about the "speed of the game", then at the same time they make rules like this which amount to taking an extra few timeouts during the game.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No problem with doing that. It seems like the NCAA (the coaches, and AD's as well) speak out of both sides of their mouths. One one side they complain about the "speed of the game", then at the same time they make rules like this which amount to taking an extra few timeouts during the game.
Actually who cares what they say? It is their game and they make the rules. I think this is much to do about nothing and people that have made this suggestion have really no solution. Either you make the players stand in a certain place and you would have people complain when coaches talk to their kids at that moment or you forget a timing mistake and then you have a game lost because that extra second was not added. And trust me, the last part would be worse. Talking to your team means nothing. I guess no one ever made a big deal out of an injury that would create the same situation under the rules.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Actually who cares what they say? It is their game and they make the rules. I think this is much to do about nothing and people that have made this suggestion have really no solution. Either you make the players stand in a certain place and you would have people complain when coaches talk to their kids at that moment or you forget a timing mistake and then you have a game lost because that extra second was not added. And trust me, the last part would be worse. Talking to your team means nothing. I guess no one ever made a big deal out of an injury that would create the same situation under the rules.

Peace
The problem is in most cases were are not talking about a second. We are talking about .1 or .2, not a full second. The rule should be that if the officials have knowledge that the clock failed to stop, or failed to start properly then they can review the play.

Basketball is a game of human error. This takes all level of human error out of the game.

As for the comment it is their game, and they can get the rules. That is only partially true. When the schools are charging what they charge for tickets to the game, and the NCAA charges what they are charging for tickets to the post-season, the game becomes everyone's game, which entitles everyone to an opinion. The simple fact is the NCAA is the most hypocritical organization on Earth.

To use another example from recent times.

The NCAA is very strict on the contact a coach can have with a potential student athlete, or a student athlete enrolled at another school who desires to transfer. At the same time you have a coach who has signed a 10 year contract extension that gets pulled away from his employer after another school contacts him without any permission from his employer. Anywhere else this is a major violation of contract law, but in the NCAA it is simply business as usual.

The NCAA does not give one rats rear end about integrity, they care about the $$$$$$ and that is it. This timing rule isn't about making sure the ruling is correct, it's about building interest in the last seconds of the game. If they have to review the play, which seems to happen every game, it helps build drama for the last few seconds.

The simple fact is the NCAA, the coaches and the television networks are all so corrupted by the $$$$ that they have forgotten what real basketball is, a game of emotion with human error involved.

One final thing. Why is it that they can't review something really important like who the ball touched out of bounds off, but can review if the clock operator failed to stop it on the exact 1/10th of a second. A missed OOB call is much more a factor late in a game than the extra .1 second ends up being.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 09:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
One final thing. Why is it that they can't review something really important like who the ball touched out of bounds off, but can review if the clock operator failed to stop it on the exact 1/10th of a second. A missed OOB call is much more a factor late in a game than the extra .1 second ends up being.
Is this a rhetorical question? You'd getting a better answer if you called the local coach's show. As has been stated, coaches and ADs (and conference commissioners) make up the entirety of the rules committee. Most, if not all, of us here have no way to be privy to the "why" of these rules decisions.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 09:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
As for the comment it is their game, and they can get the rules. That is only partially true. When the schools are charging what they charge for tickets to the game, and the NCAA charges what they are charging for tickets to the post-season, the game becomes everyone's game, which entitles everyone to an opinion. The simple fact is the NCAA is the most hypocritical organization on Earth.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and everyone has an option not to buy tickets or watch the broadcasts.

BUT, not everyone is on the rules committee.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 10:04am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
The simple fact is the NCAA is the most hypocritical organization on Earth.
Haven't you ever heard of Congress?