The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 10, 2014, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Ball carriers will often stiff-arm a defender on his face without grasping it.
I'm sure thats what the first two pics show, a stiff arm, the other two pics show the defender seemingly being pulled to the ground by who knows what. If you don't know what you don't call nuttin.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2014, 06:43am
Chain of Fools

Quote:
So, without solid evidence of why the defender is going down no official will call it a facemask. Makes sense. Thanks.
Without solid evidence that a pitcher balked, the first baseman dropped the ball, the ball hit the batter, would you rule a balk, safe, award first base?

Of course the potential offender is Steve Smith so anything is possible
Old Thu Sep 11, 2014, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7682UPN15us

Here's the video....and if none of the deep coverage officials threw anything on it, my guess is it wasn't the facemask he grabbed, maybe under his chin/neck and shoved off...?

From that angle...you have to have nothing....hence, my signature - "Assumption Is The Mother Of All Screw-ups....."

Last edited by APG; Thu Sep 11, 2014 at 09:33pm. Reason: Embed es tu amigo
Old Thu Sep 11, 2014, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturno View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7682UPN15us

Here's the video....and if none of the deep coverage officials threw anything on it, my guess is it wasn't the facemask he grabbed, maybe under his chin/neck and shoved off...?

From that angle...you have to have nothing....hence, my signature - "Assumption Is The Mother Of All Screw-ups....."
Interesting. In BB we strive to make decisions while stopped (not always successfully). In football the officials have to make decisions while moving. I guess that's why replay hit football before it hit baseball. Among other things.
Old Fri Sep 12, 2014, 02:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Interesting. In BB we strive to make decisions while stopped (not always successfully). In football the officials have to make decisions while moving. I guess that's why replay hit football before it hit baseball. Among other things.
Baseball is one of the rare sports where you can do things while standing. Not the case in many other sports like football and basketball.

And in this video I see nothing that stands out as a foul. For one, we cannot see the actual contact with the stiff arm. Hard to make any concrete decision when the officials on the field saw this play life and from better angles.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 20, 2014, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I can count on one fist the number of times I've seen a ball carrier flagged for grabbing an opponent's facemask.
Just saw this called in the Oklahoma/West Virginia game early in the 4th quarter.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Sep 20, 2014, 09:46pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Just saw this called in the Oklahoma/West Virginia game early in the 4th quarter.
I though that was a pretty bad call. Didn't even grab it.
Old Sun Sep 21, 2014, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I though that was a pretty bad call. Didn't even grab it.
The only thing that MATTERS is what the covering official SAW.
Old Sun Sep 21, 2014, 11:25am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
And he didn't see it correctly, in my opinion.
Old Sun Sep 21, 2014, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
And he didn't see it correctly, in my opinion.
Opinions are like anal orifices, everyone has one and it's a little different than everyone elses. On a football field, the covering official's "opinion" is the ONLY one that matters (in NFHS games).
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 03:18am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Not in college football.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On a football field, the covering official's "opinion" is the ONLY one that matters (in NFHS games).
Oklahoma and West Virginia are not playing in NFHS games, last I checked.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 22, 2014, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Opinions are like anal orifices, everyone has one and it's a little different than everyone elses. On a football field, the covering official's "opinion" is the ONLY one that matters (in NFHS games).
I guess I'm a little confused about what you're trying to convey here. If we have this attitude about discussing plays, we might as well shut down this forum or any discussion group.

Nothing wrong with discussing plays and even saying an official missed a play (which may have happened with the facemask play in question).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I guess I'm a little confused about what you're trying to convey here. If we have this attitude about discussing plays, we might as well shut down this forum or any discussion group.

Nothing wrong with discussing plays and even saying an official missed a play (which may have happened with the facemask play in question).
The intent is to suggest, as I presume most officials clearly understand, is that is that an officials judgment call is based on what is ACTUALLY seen, rather than what might be suspected, possible or even apparent.

An official judging he didn't see a hand grasping a facemask, or helmet openting, doesn't mean it didn't happen, only that the official didn't see it happen. As a n official we don't have the luxury of presuming. Absent any constructive suggestion (rule knowledge, mechanics and positioning advice or some material instruction that might benefit future calls) there doesn't seem to any real value in complaining about something someome else did, or didn't, actually see (without benefit of detailed review and assessment)
Old Tue Sep 23, 2014, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The intent is to suggest, as I presume most officials clearly understand, is that is that an officials judgment call is based on what is ACTUALLY seen, rather than what might be suspected, possible or even apparent.

An official judging he didn't see a hand grasping a facemask, or helmet openting, doesn't mean it didn't happen, only that the official didn't see it happen. As a n official we don't have the luxury of presuming. Absent any constructive suggestion (rule knowledge, mechanics and positioning advice or some material instruction that might benefit future calls) there doesn't seem to any real value in complaining about something someome else did, or didn't, actually see (without benefit of detailed review and assessment)
I think his point was, that if you have that attitude, you can dismiss every single thread with that logic.

West Houston Mike