The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 04, 2014, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Numbering Rule

First play #76 is a tackle, On the 2nd down play he moves to the backfield, I know he can not go out for a pass but can a another player bring in a legal numbered shirt lets say 44 for the him?? I can not find anything in the rule book. Thanks for the help.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2014, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
First play #76 is a tackle, On the 2nd down play he moves to the backfield, I know he can not go out for a pass but can a another player bring in a legal numbered shirt lets say 44 for the him?? I can not find anything in the rule book. Thanks for the help.
Can players change jersey numbers? Yes, they can.

I would think it would be easier to change jerseys on the sideline.
Old Fri Sep 05, 2014, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

That is what I think also. Since they are bringing in the jersey between downs after the play, Let's say that RFP has already started - Can the player take his helmet off to put on the jersey? Can the jersey be modified to just slip over the helmet?
Old Fri Sep 05, 2014, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
That is what I think also. Since they are bringing in the jersey between downs after the play, Let's say that RFP has already started - Can the player take his helmet off to put on the jersey? Can the jersey be modified to just slip over the helmet?
If it's between plays, and he can accomplish that while the ball is dead, get himself equipped and dressed properly, I'd say have at it.

That said, outside of Clark Kent, I don't think there's a player that can get helmet off / jersey off / jersey on / helmet on / mouth guard in / lined up properly within the maybe 30 or so seconds you maybe have total between the ball being spotted and the 25 second play clock winding. Maybe I'm wrong, but most kids I see can barely get a helmet off for a split second to adjust a pad or whatever it is and get it back on and snapped upped in that time. Modifying a jersey is a risky venture in a lot of ways, and if you cut the neck opening to increase the size, that jersey will be a shredded rag after 4 or 5 times of this kid getting tackled, if I had to guess.

This sounds like WAY too much trouble than it's worth...I will just assume this team is VERY, VERY thin on numbers?

Last edited by Sturno; Fri Sep 05, 2014 at 09:40am.
Old Fri Sep 05, 2014, 10:00am
Chain of Fools

And remember a jersey is to be unaltered from the manufacturer's original design. Cutting it into a vest would definitely be altering. See 1-5-1.
Old Sun Sep 07, 2014, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
And remember a jersey is to be unaltered from the manufacturer's original design. Cutting it into a vest would definitely be altering. See 1-5-1.
I'm wondering what the opinion of the group would be if this kind of modification is made, in the spirit of the rules:
A couple of strips of velcro are sown onto the area around the first digit, so that, for example, "57" or "67" could be made "87" by attaching another strip of velcro the same color of the numbers.
It could be made to look almost natural with the right font, and if the loop side of the velcro is attached to the shirt, there's no hazard to other players.
Better yet, just do what one of my basketball coaches did when two #5's showed up to a game, and use tape to alter the number.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
I'm wondering what the opinion of the group would be if this kind of modification is made, in the spirit of the rules:
A couple of strips of velcro are sown onto the area around the first digit, so that, for example, "57" or "67" could be made "87" by attaching another strip of velcro the same color of the numbers.
It could be made to look almost natural with the right font, and if the loop side of the velcro is attached to the shirt, there's no hazard to other players.
Better yet, just do what one of my basketball coaches did when two #5's showed up to a game, and use tape to alter the number.
Then "87" becomes a runner.....breaks the tackle because the temp number tore off when B tried to tackle him.

Good idea in theory.... but I don't see that flying. That to me is altering as well.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Sometimes it's important to remember where we are, and what we're doing.

At a beautiful, sunny, fall Saturday afternoon Varsity game between local HS, the Umpire asked, after the opening KO, if the visiting QB could play, "like that". He came onto the field proudly wearing "00". Approaching the coach, and inquiring "what the...", he replied with the often used, "he's been playing with 00 all season...and by the way he's our only QB".

Of course, his response was complete BS, but it, unfortunately, was what it was. There were several choices available, all bad or uncomfortable. After determining there was no #88 on the visiting team, and reviwing the various options with the Home team coach and management, and receiving their concurrence, the visiting team applied tape around the chest of the QB, rendering the 00 into, what looked, somewhat, like 88, and the game was played without further consternation or incident.

No fuss, no bother a little initial head shaking but as far as I know, no complaints or reports by anyone, to anyone, just a HS Football game enjoyed by players and spectators on a nice fall Saturday afternoon.

We do what we do, and sometimes have to resist getting way out in front of ourselves.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
Way back in the stone ages when I played HS FB, we had jersey colored 'pullovers' that the special teams wore in order to have eligible receivers with eligible numbers.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Sep 08, 2014, 09:20pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Way back in the stone ages when I played HS FB, we had jersey colored 'pullovers' that the special teams wore in order to have eligible receivers with eligible numbers.
Which is a reason the numbering exception was brought forth to end.

We are going in a big circle here, aren't we?