The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Setting the ball

What is the procedure/Rule set for setting the ball after a play? We see some Hurry up offenses and I can not find the rule set as to how we set the ball back in play.

Some of the coaches are asking us to set the ball quicker.

Is there a time frame for putting the ball in play?

Can the offense request setting the ball quicker as long as it is in the timeframe?

Thanks for the help!
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

There is no rule about how long to take to mark the ball ready for play. However, most crews average between 12-15 seconds. This involves getting the players unpiled, the ball relayed to the U, and the U getting the ball down. Also involves moving the down box and chains (if needed). When you think of it, we're not talking a whole lot of time. A good crew will maintain their rythem through out the game, with the sole exception being during the last 2 minutes.

By speeding up at the request of a coach, you are really giving that coach an unfair advantage. They are running a hurry up offense so they can catch the defense with the wrong personnel or play call. By spotting the ball faster for one team, you are making it more likely the defense i will get caught in a wrong alignment. This will cause more trouble than its worth.

If a team is in a hurry up offense, does not mean we have adjust our tempo to them.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Stated very well. The Referee has absolute and individual control over when the ball is deemed ready fo play, and there is no reason for any inclination to alter the circumstance, or rythem to advantage, or disadvantage either team.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

A good crew will maintain their rythem through out the game, with the sole exception being during the last 2 minutes.

So, in the last two minutes of the half or game the crew should hustle to get the ball set and in play faster. Why at this point would you put the ball in play any faster when you stated earlier that it could lead to an unfair advantage to the offense. Shouldn't we call the game the same whether it be the beginning of the game or the end. Isn't it all about consistency.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 06:52am
Chain of Fools

The crew should always hustle. A good tempo at the beginning reduces the need to appear to be hurrying at the end.

We are not here to let one team gain an advantage over the other by adjusting our pace to suit them. Appearing to favor one team's pace will do nothing but insure it is going to be a long night for your crew.

A lot of coaches think they can run an Oregon style offense in HS. The fact we use a RFP in NF negates some of the advantages of that style. Don't fall into the trap of being influenced to modify that. Coaches sometimes fail to realize that being two officials shorter, less mobile/alert chain crew members, and 10 year old ball boys has an effect on pace. The referee should always insure that all crew members are in position and ready before blowing the RFP.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 07:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

I have a very fast pace, but it's consistently that way. My H tells the chain crew to be ready to move -- that I'm not going to wait for them.

I do wait -- I won't hit the RFP if the box isn't within 5 yards of the LOS.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

The NFHS Manual states the Ready should be 3 seconds (max) after the ball has been spotted. Unfortunately, I could not find a recommended interval between the end of the down and spotting the ball.

As previously stated, I think 12 seconds is good pace from the end of the down to the ready. And no matter what the pace, "Hustle but don't Hurry."
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
The crew should always hustle. A good tempo at the beginning reduces the need to appear to be hurrying at the end.
That's what I think, and this was discussed here a few yrs. ago. The officials should try for a pace such that no team will ever be waiting for them. If a team does have to wait for them, that influences the game and unfairly disadvantages them. But if you've always readied the ball fast, that prevents the appearance of the opposite, namely that the officials are waiting on one team, rather than the team waiting for the officials.