The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Wouldn't this be considered hurdling? and be a flag!!

Louisiana High School Running Back Stacy McCray Hurdles Defender, Jukes Another | Bleacher Report

This was in a state championship game!
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 08:00am
Chain of Fools

Appears to be. While one can not 100% state that one or both feet of the opponent's are in contact with the ground, it appears that they are and the runners right foot is foremost so it would meet the parameters of the rule.

Considering the officials allowed an illegal hideout play in a Michigan game, this doesn't surprise me. Sadly, it happens.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

5 trained officials at the game did not call it hurdling, they are doing the state finals so they must be the BEST!! Must not have been hurdling! LOL!!!
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 11:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
5 trained officials at the game did not call it hurdling, they are doing the state finals so they must be the BEST!! Must not have been hurdling! LOL!!!
It must be hard on you being so perfect - surrounded with imperfect people.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I have hurdling on this play. If Louisiana is like other states, the best officials are not working in the state finals.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm certainly glad 5 trained officials did not call this hurdling, especially the opposite wing who was some 50 yards away from the play.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Knew that would draw fire! I mean really guys, how do they miss no brainer calls like this in the State Finals??
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did anyone on this site tell you that those officials working state finals around the nation are automatically the best? I don't think anyone with more than 2 years in the profession would believe that.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Knew that would draw fire! I mean really guys, how do they miss no brainer calls like this in the State Finals??
The same reason coaches make boneheaded decisions at every possible level. Because they're human.

And, BTW, you're a troll on this board. Are you really happy being seen that way?
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Coach, troll, what is the difference? Clearly you guys are going defend other officials that make terrible game changing calls.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coach, troll, what is the difference? Clearly you guys are going defend other officials that make terrible game changing calls.
And I'm sure you would defend your coaches if they made terrible game changing decisions. What's your point. This is a site whose purpose is to allow us to discuss situations and all try to improve. Your posts do nothing to further that purpose.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I would not defend a coach who did something wrong. I have called out many coaches for being unsportsmanlike, unethical and not protecting player.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The difference is one will allow you to keep posting without issue...the other will mandate a temporary vacation from posting.

And there hasn't been a single person in this thread that has defended the call.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would not defend a coach who did something wrong. I have called out many coaches for being unsportsmanlike, unethical and not protecting player.
Apples vs Eskimos.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure it met the technical requirement of hurdling, and if it did I'm not convinced penalizing it would be in the spirit of the rule. It looked like the ballcarrier more or less jumped in place (although I couldn't see his feet when he started to leave the ground), although he did extend his right foot forward while in the air. The attempted tackler may have had his feet on the ground, but was bent very low at the waist, and more went under the ballcarrier than the ballcarrier went over him. This is not the classic case of someone leaping forward crotchwise over the head of an opponent, and if there was a chance of contact with that opponent's head, it was caused more by the tackler than by the putative hurdler. The ballcarrier went mostly over the attempted tackler's back.

I'm not sure whether the rules definition of "hurdle" should be eliminated (and thus have people fall back on their general understanding of what it means) or made more detailed. The current definition captures some cases in line with most people's intuition, but not others, and I'm not sure whether the distinction could be easily set out in words. In the present case, although a different viewing angle might change my mind, I don't think the officials erred in not flagging this.

I'd also consider broadening the rule to encompass other efforts to go over erect opponents, including diving head first, inasmuch as there may be dangers there that are unjustified leaving in the game as distinct from those of hurdling per se.