Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 04:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Come on, folks!

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN

>>>> Go back and read Neil's post. This is exactly what he said and it's water under the bridge. AND, if you don't care, why the heck are you commenting on it in the first place??

RUT, Get a clue, please!

I comment because this is a discussion board. That is what we do here, discuss things. This is also a place of entertainment, and passes the time when things are slow.

Looks like you need to get a clue. Because if you did not want my opinion, why address me at all. I am sure you have your reasons, so do I.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 12, 2003, 04:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink I am not her coach.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper
I think that is my point. Let her try out. If she is good enough to stay and compete, then she deserves to be there. If she is not good enough, then the situation will take care of itself and she will get cut like any other player that didn't have the ability to make the team. Her parent's decision is a seperate issue. I am glad I have boys, as I have no idea how I would handle this.
Last time I checked, not a single person here is preventing her from playing. I have absolutely no say if she is good enough or if she has the ability to make any team in the country. I also can assume that she deep down realizes this as well. If she does not understand that, well that is something she has to deal with.

All our discussion was going to do was help her get some answers. But it was not going to solve her problem if she was not allowed to play by the folks that "actually" make the decisions on this issue.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 12:44am
In Time Out

Angry

Before anyone suggests a girl can't or shouldn't play, consider last year there was a female player in a bowl game, and a few years ago, locally, we had a female kicker at a D III score the winning points, as I recall. So if "girls" can make an NCAA team, what business does anyone have suggesting this young lady should be denied the chance to try?
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Only her coaches if they deem her not good enough. Hopefully noone has talked her out of trying out for the team. At least she can say she gave it shot.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 04:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking That is not a real football player.

Quote:
Originally posted by Panda Bear
Before anyone suggests a girl can't or shouldn't play, consider last year there was a female player in a bowl game, and a few years ago, locally, we had a female kicker at a D III score the winning points, as I recall. So if "girls" can make an NCAA team, what business does anyone have suggesting this young lady should be denied the chance to try?
Have you seen the Madden 2004 commercial when Ray Lewis says, "Kickers will talk when spoken to."

I would not call a kicker a "real" football player. Especially considering the people that play football dismiss them on a regular basis. Ever heard of Mike Vanderjact (sp?) from the Colts. I think Payton Manning's words about him this past spring sums up the league's feelings on kickers.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

I rarely agree with Rut but I do here. A kicker (plce kicker at that) is such a specialty player, I would hardly call he or she a "football player." Does anyone here honestly think the gals at the NCAA level participate in blocking and tackling drills in practice?

It does not seem the kid who started all this is a kicker. They normally come off of soccer teams and this girl has never mentioned that she can really kick well. She said she can hang with her brother's friends (wonder how many of those geeks are EVEN in organized sports of any kind???) . That leads me to think she is other than a kicker since not much FG or EP kicking goes on on the sandlot.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

JRutledge and TXMike,
To me it sounds like you dont think i can compete with the guys. I have been competing with guys all my life cuz of my dad and i think I'm up to the challenge and just as good as any guy out on the field!
Katee
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Go get 'em

Katee,

Go for it!

Best of luck!

Let us know what you decide and how you do!

(let's close this post)
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Katee:

You may be able to compete with some geeky boys in sandlot football right now. You might be able to compete with boys in other sports. I guarantee you that by the time you and the boys are 15, you will NOT be able to compete with them on the organized football field.

Furthermore, your presence is going to be a distraction and can result in burdens for the team which you have not even considered. The world does not revolve around you or what you want to do. You are young now and don't see that. You will eventually, hopefully.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 02:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation KATEE, PLEASE GO OUT FOR THE TEAM!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by softballfreak
JRutledge and TXMike,
To me it sounds like you dont think i can compete with the guys. I have been competing with guys all my life cuz of my dad and i think I'm up to the challenge and just as good as any guy out on the field!
Katee
Katee,

You need to really read what I am saying to you and this board. I do not care one way or another if you compete at football. I would say the very same thing to you if you were a boy. The main difference is, you are coming to an officiating board (where many did not play the sport at the HS varsity level themselves I might add) to ask why you cannot play a game we only officiate for the most part right now. And the reality, other than maybe Pop Warner football, you do not see girls really wanting to play, nor excelling at the sport. I would assume it is the very same reason there is an NBA and a WNBA. If you are coming here looking for support to play, you have nothing but my support (like that is really going to mean anything). But if you are coming here for opinions on why it might be difficult, I am not the one to sugar-coat the situation. If you feel playing with your brothers in the back yard gives you the ability to compete in a sport where kids do not walk if they are hit correctly, the do that. Just understand that the playground is not the full contact practice field or 100 yard field variety. If it was, I would be in Canton for the Hall of Fame or on an NFL team myself.

So Katee, play and go out. But understand I have no say in your opportunity to make the team or not. Katee, I am only one opinion that really does not mean anything in your life or world.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

IÂ’m only posting this so Mike and Rut dont have the last word Go for it and have some fun !
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Like it really matters what any of us says. If she is like 95% of the teenagers I have raised and been around, she is gonna do what she wants, even more so if some adult is telling her no.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2003, 06:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Red face You really did not think..............

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
IÂ’m only posting this so Mike and Rut dont have the last word Go for it and have some fun !
If you feel you have to have the last word, then have the last word.

I agree, but do not be surprise if you get cut. It does happen.

Peace