Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 07:39am
Small Business Owner

Cool Hey Rut. Check out this site...

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

...But I do not know too many girls running or falling at the chance to play football.
Hey Rut, you might find this web site to be educational:

http://www.iwflsports.com

Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
I'm all for the girls trying out for a boys sport but Title IX is really unconstatutional (least it should be)if it does not apply both ways. If there is no men's volleyball team, then men should be allowed to play with no penelty. Should a football team be not allowed to play for a state championship because it has a girl on it?? I don't think so, So it should go both ways.
The simple fact is that boys are usually bigger and stronger than girls. A 6'6" athletic boy on a girls volleyball team would put an opposing girls only team at a tremendous disadvantage. Yes, there are exceptions but they are very, very rare.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Rut and KWH - here's another one to check out:

http://www.womensfootballcentral.com

Football is like life, it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
--Vince Lombardi
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, there are a FEW females involved in tackle football, some in their own leagues, some (very few) in high school and college, and some in youth leagues. What does that prove? Just because something is so, does not mean it should be so.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

For the record, I am all for a girl trying out for the football team. I do have a problem with saying or implying, as some on this thread are, that any girl should be able to try out for any boy's team.

In the early 90's my brother was on his grade school wrestling team. A third grade girl decided she wanted to be on the wresting team, and the school refused to allow her to participate, so her mother sent out letters to every parent who had a child in the school decrying the school's decision as "discriminatory" towards her daughter because they were not letting her participate "just because she's a girl." The fact is the school did not want her to participate because wrestling involves two participants in skin tight outfits grabbing each other, often times in the groin, and the school felt it was not appropriate for an 8 year old to be engaged in such an activity with the opposite sex and have the school sponsor it. They also felt that if the girl's parents perceived something sexually inappropiate was happening in a competition or in practice, then the school would be an easy target for a lawsuit.

While in general I am in favor of breaking down some gender barriers in sports, I think it is as dangerous to say "girls can't play on this team just because they are girls" as it is to say "any girl should be able to try out for any boy's team, no matter what the mitigating circumstances are."
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
For the record, I am all for a girl trying out for the football team. I do have a problem with saying or implying, as some on this thread are, that any girl should be able to try out for any boy's team.

In the early 90's my brother was on his grade school wrestling team. A third grade girl decided she wanted to be on the wresting team, and the school refused to allow her to participate, so her mother sent out letters to every parent who had a child in the school decrying the school's decision as "discriminatory" towards her daughter because they were not letting her participate "just because she's a girl." The fact is the school did not want her to participate because wrestling involves two participants in skin tight outfits grabbing each other, often times in the groin, and the school felt it was not appropriate for an 8 year old to be engaged in such an activity with the opposite sex and have the school sponsor it. They also felt that if the girl's parents perceived something sexually inappropiate was happening in a competition or in practice, then the school would be an easy target for a lawsuit.

While in general I am in favor of breaking down some gender barriers in sports, I think it is as dangerous to say "girls can't play on this team just because they are girls" as it is to say "any girl should be able to try out for any boy's team, no matter what the mitigating circumstances are."
That's about as stupid as anything I've read lately.

There are plenty of girls who are wrestling on the HIGH SCHOOL level.

Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

And once again..Just because something is so, does not mean it should be so.
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 02:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Already aware of this league.

Quote:
Originally posted by KWH
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

...But I do not know too many girls running or falling at the chance to play football.
Hey Rut, you might find this web site to be educational:

http://www.iwflsports.com

For the record, there was some playoff game from some Women's Football League about a month ago in Chicago. As a matter of fact, I recieved an email from someone to actually officiate the game. I passed and had no interests in doing football in the middle of June and July. And this is about a significant to me as the Semi-Pro Men's Football Leagues that they have around here. I would rather drink gasoline.

So I realize that Women play football and they should if there is a place for it. But that does not mean that everyone has to support it or think it is a great idea. If I am not watching the Semi-Pro football Men's Football, I really am not going to knock myself out to watch the Women on the same level.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

i really want to play and my parents totally support my decion but my brother says that the coach will tell the guys to go harder on me so that it will make me want to quit.
ive loved football since i was really little. im 13 now and ive play against my brothers friends( which are like 17) and i kept my nose up and thought to myself no pain no game and roughed it out cuz i hate people calling me a chicken!
Katee
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
And once again..Just because something is so, does not mean it should be so.
It doesn't mean it shouldn't be either.

Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 03:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by softballfreak
i really want to play and my parents totally support my decion but my brother says that the coach will tell the guys to go harder on me so that it will make me want to quit.
ive loved football since i was really little. im 13 now and ive play against my brothers friends( which are like 17) and i kept my nose up and thought to myself no pain no game and roughed it out cuz i hate people calling me a chicken!
Katee
Well go for it. Not much we can do to help you if you have that kind of desire. But understand that the world is not going to be supportive of you (for all kinds of reasons). Like my Mom used to say, "you have to be better to get the same opportunity."

Good Luck.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Katee:

Unless you are a kicker or are far above normal size and strength for a female, your football career in school is not going to last very long. Within a few years at most you are going to be outsized and muscled by most every boy.

Why don't you find a sport where you can continue to be competitive, i.e. hockey, soccer, volleyball, etc? They have all of those for girls in Wisconsin don't they?

Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

but i dont like any other sports! what if i work out just like the guys. girls should be treated the same. not every guy is stronger or faster or better built then gurls. im not gonna go making myself fat just to play football. i think im better fit then alot of the guys at my school and i will continue it.
Katee
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

And have you given any consideration at all to the complications that your participation will have, i.e. extra equipment, travelling considerations, locker room considerations, etc?

You still have not answered....are there boys on your softball team?
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

no the boys have their own softball team and why would that matter cuz they have an alternitive... baseball!
Katee