Thread: why cant.......
View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 10, 2003, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by softballfreak
I need an answer to this why cant girls go out for football?
i really want to go out but everyone says that im not allowed to? i think that is wrong!
Katee
It is wrong Katee. If you really want to play , there's a way. But a little story first
My Daughter came to me a few years ago when she was in 8th grade and asked if she could try out for the football team. Despite my initial opposition and warnings, she insisted that this was what she wanted to do. So with my full support off she went and hit the “Grid -Iron”. Well all the bad things I told her would happen, happened. The guys gave her a hard time. She was getting the crap knocked out of her. She had brozes in places ladies shouldn’t. Two weeks into practice she came to me and said she wanted to quit. So we had a long talk about it and after lots of tears and laughs she decided to stick with it. She didn't get to play much during the season but by the last game she was starting on special teams. In that last game she saw lots of action including making an unassisted open field tackle on a running back who’d just broken into open field and had a clear shot all the way to the end zone. Her whole team including the coaches ran onto the field cheering and carried her back to the sideline. She told me on the way home that one play was worth the whole season. I swear it was weeks before she came down. What did she gain from playing? Well in the end she gained the respect of her teammates and coaches. And best of all she gained self-respect and the confidence to complete the hardest of tasks. So my advice young lady is to go for it! Don't expect it to be easy. It won't always be fun but you’ll find some fun and other good things if you stick with it.