The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Horse collar rule

Is the horse collar rule different in nfhs and college football? I have seen some plays in college football this year where I would of never called a horse collar like in the ohio state-penn state game, so I was thinking the rules must be different in both.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
Is the horse collar rule different in nfhs and college football? I have seen some plays in college football this year where I would of never called a horse collar like in the ohio state-penn state game, so I was thinking the rules must be different in both.
NCAA 9-1-15

All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down. This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside the tackle box (Rule 2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates when the ball leaves it.

NFHS 9-4-3-k

No player or non(-)player shall (g)rab the inside back or side collar of the shoulder pads or jersey of the runner and subsequently pull (backward or sideward) that opponent to the ground (Horse-collar), even if possession is lost. The horse-collar foul is enforced as a live-ball foul.

Yes. The rules are different.

Bonus

NFL 12-2-15

No player shall grab the inside collar of the back or the side of the shoulder pads or jersey pads or jersey, and pull the runner toward the ground. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

Note: It is not necessary for a player to pull the runner completely to the ground in order for the act to be illegal. If his knees are buckled by the action, it is a foul, even if the runner is not pulled completely to the ground.

Last edited by InsideTheStripe; Mon Oct 28, 2013 at 09:39pm. Reason: Added NFL reference
Old Mon Oct 28, 2013, 09:22pm
Chain of Fools

Yes there are differences in all 3 rule codes.
You can download the NCAA rulebook for free from the NCAA.org.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
I think the horse collar call in the Ohio State-Penn State game was just a miss by the covering official. He tackled him by the outside of the jersey between the shoulders rather than getting his hand in side the collar.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

I heard at a clinic in 2012 that at least the Big 10 guys are taught that its possible to grab the collar of the shoulder pads from outside the jersey...I.e. if the action causes the same effect, the "buckling of the knees," they aren't picking nits on whether the hand is inside or outside. Play the game lower.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I heard at a clinic in 2012 that at least the Big 10 guys are taught that its possible to grab the collar of the shoulder pads from outside the jersey...I.e. if the action causes the same effect, the "buckling of the knees," they aren't picking nits on whether the hand is inside or outside. Play the game lower.
That would explain the call. He did go down as if horse-collared, but the tackler had him in the name plate area.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 05:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
I've also heard from a training tape that this is a supported call (grabbing the back of the jersey and pulling down, creating the same effect as a HCT).
Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Is this the play in question?

Old Tue Oct 29, 2013, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

The slide made it look more like a horse collar than it really was but I don't have a huge problem with that call. Err on the side of safety.

Of course, it would have been nice to call the massive, blatant hold on the left tackle, but that's a different thread!
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

That's the play.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 08:25am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've also heard from a training tape that this is a supported call (grabbing the back of the jersey and pulling down, creating the same effect as a HCT).
I wonder if this is a Big 10 region thing. I can't say I've ever heard that here but it doesn't mean it wasn't said.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 08:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Semi-related:

We had it happen in a HS game. Both the wing and I (the R) clearly saw that the nameplate was grabbed. Same effect as a HCT. We didn't flag it.

Naturally, the other sideline thought the hand was inside. I told the coach what happened and he was fine with the explanation.

After the game, we had a philosophical discussion on whether we should've flagged that anyway. Appears we weren't the only ones to have that kind of discussion.

Question for TX HS officials: Do you exempt players in the tackle box from a HCT foul (pure NCAA rules)?
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 02:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

Yes, we go by strict NCAA rules for horse collars.
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 02:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

That is not a horse-collar IMO.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 30, 2013, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is not a horse-collar IMO.

Peace
I thought it was marginal, at best....but looking at it another time or two and seeing it at the end in freeze-frame, I think it's a good call....could've been a no call just the same I think. If you get the still frame....you'll see why the call was made against #2...he was playing superman for a second.

OSU sideline, so the bench emphatically trying to sell it to the Linesman wasn't the case.