The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Facemask on offense philosophy

I had a high school game last week where I had an inadvertent facemask (5 yards) on an A blocker. After the game, I got reamed up one side and down the other for the call.

I can understand the philosophy of not calling an inadvertant facemask on the runner, but the idea that an A blocker/lineman should be allowed to put their hands on an opponent's facemask and, "oops," grab it does not sit well with me.

Is there a prevailing philosophy on calling facemask fouls on the offense that I have not heard of? Should I just bite the bullet and call all facemask fouls on the offense a "personal foul facemask" to make this particular white hat happy? Or should I call "illegal use of hands," like he suggested?
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 04:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Jmo

A lot of people think that these calls should not be made on the defense or seem to be surprised when they happen.

Not sure there is a philsophy honestly other then most do not look at these fouls on offensive players. I have even called a couple of facemasks on a runner when they clearly grabbed the facemask only to get grief. I think officials either do not look for this or they do not have the heart to make a call even if the foul is mildly obvious to their eyes. And it does not help many of these are not going to easily show up on tape either.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
A lot of people think that these calls should not be made on the defense or seem to be surprised when they happen.

Not sure there is a philsophy honestly other then most do not look at these fouls on offensive players. I have even called a couple of facemasks on a runner when they clearly grabbed the facemask only to get grief. I think officials either do not look for this or they do not have the heart to make a call even if the foul is mildly obvious to their eyes. And it does not help many of these are not going to easily show up on tape either.

Peace
Coincidentally, last night a running back for the Steelers got called for it. And it was a good call, not just a stiff arm but a grasp and pull of the defenders' face mask. Al and Chris even agreed with the call!
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 08:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Coincidentally, last night a running back for the Steelers got called for it. And it was a good call, not just a stiff arm but a grasp and pull of the defenders' face mask. Al and Chris even agreed with the call!
It happens. I one time saw it several times in a season when it was a facemasking was a POE and mentioned in that POE was the runner doing this to defenders. All obvious as I remember them and I got crap for calling them. So it does happen. Never said it didn't, but you get crap for it when you call it.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Pete Morelli was thrilled when the foul was reported. I don't know if I've ever seen someone roll their eyes so hard on national television.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

When the runner throws somebody down by the facemask, it's a good call. I don't care what your philosophy is. But I was criticized for calling it on a blocker. What's the deal with that? I can't wrap my head around why it was a bad call.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 05:51am
Official & ***** Member

It happens. Pulling and twisting an opponent's facemask is dangerous regardless of offense or defense.

However, on the rare occasion when a crewmate has called this, I conveniently "forget" the facemask part of my PF signal.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_eldren View Post
I had a high school game last week where I had an inadvertent facemask (5 yards) on an A blocker. After the game, I got reamed up one side and down the other for the call.

I can understand the philosophy of not calling an inadvertant facemask on the runner, but the idea that an A blocker/lineman should be allowed to put their hands on an opponent's facemask and, "oops," grab it does not sit well with me.

Is there a prevailing philosophy on calling facemask fouls on the offense that I have not heard of? Should I just bite the bullet and call all facemask fouls on the offense a "personal foul facemask" to make this particular white hat happy? Or should I call "illegal use of hands," like he suggested?
I'd say illegal use of hands. If the hand touched the face itself, it'd be at least illegal use of hands, wouldn't it? So why should the bars across the front of his face "save" the blocker from an illegal use of hands call? Shouldn't the headgear count as part of the head?

Of course if it was an actual grab, then personal foul.

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Tue Sep 24, 2013 at 12:21pm.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
It happens. Pulling and twisting an opponent's facemask is dangerous regardless of offense or defense.
Or by a coach looking to get a player's att'n in practice, or even as a handle to lead him by. I hate when they do that.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to stevegarbs Send a message via AIM to stevegarbs Send a message via Yahoo to stevegarbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
Pete Morelli was thrilled when the foul was reported. I don't know if I've ever seen someone roll their eyes so hard on national television.
I saw this, too, and thought it was pretty rude and unprofessional of him to do that to another crew member.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegarbs View Post
I saw this, too, and thought it was pretty rude and unprofessional of him to do that to another crew member.
He kinda looks like that all the time, though....a serious case of sleepyface.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 04:11pm
NFHS Official

I called this twice in a game last year, once on each team. I've always wondered why coaches, players etc... think the offense should get a break on this when it is a PF.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Never see hands above the shoulders called on OL or DL players.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef: who said anything about a lineman? The flag was on a blocker downfield.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2013, 07:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Never see hands above the shoulders called on OL or DL players.
You haven't watched my crew work -- we've had 3 of those fouls in 5 weeks, 2 in varsity games. If the hands come off right away, fine...