The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 02, 2013, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
I'm not sure that any of the subsequent commenters actually watched the latest video.
I can't watch streams at all, and I don't think YouTube has any way to download the videos, it just serves streams.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2013, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Honestly, you'll need to ask the coaches who make the rules. But my guess is it has a lot to do with the neck injuries sustained by players who attempt and fail to hurdle their opponents.
I just saw something in a coaching thread about a player jumping over a teammate that got me thinking: If the rule is primarily to protect the would-be hurdler, why did they apply it only to attempts to hurdle an opponent, rather than any person? (BTW, it would be hilarious to see an attempt to hurdle an official.)
Old Wed Oct 02, 2013, 11:48am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I can't watch streams at all, and I don't think YouTube has any way to download the videos, it just serves streams.
There are tricks to do it. Just requires some technical know-how.

And it's not legal.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2013, 01:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I just saw something in a coaching thread about a player jumping over a teammate that got me thinking: If the rule is primarily to protect the would-be hurdler, why did they apply it only to attempts to hurdle an opponent, rather than any person? (BTW, it would be hilarious to see an attempt to hurdle an official.)
My guess, because players typically don't try to hurdle teammates.. They just tell them to get out of the way. I doubt that much thought went into the wording of the rule.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2013, 01:23pm
Chain of Fools

Real Networks has the capability to download most any web based video.
There used to be a "YouTube downloader" program out there but the last time my laptop got serviced, the tech advised getting it off there along with limewire, P2P, and Sopcast (NFL) so I went with his suggestion.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2013, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
An opponent is going to try to tackle the hurdler. That puts him in a dangerous position. A teammate isn't going to react the same way an opponent is.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2013, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
An opponent is going to try to tackle the hurdler. That puts him in a dangerous position. A teammate isn't going to react the same way an opponent is.
I would imagine the teammate to be in even a more dangerous position, i.e. being approached from behind, where he can't see him coming. But it would seem the danger to the hurdler of being spilled on his head would be the same.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2013, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

You asked why the rules committee wrote the rule as it currently is and i gave you the answer. The potential for a serious neck injury is much greater from the front than from the rear.

Also, the next time I see a runner hurdle one of his teammates will be the first time I see that. I've seen hurdling a defender plenty of times.
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
You asked why the rules committee wrote the rule as it currently is and i gave you the answer. The potential for a serious neck injury is much greater from the front than from the rear.
Unless the player injured was trying to use the head as a weapon by presenting it top first, that's not true. The risk of serious neck injury is far greater from flexion than from dorsiflexion. Dorsiflexion is what results from the head's being bent back, i.e. a front hit, while flexion results from the head's being bent forward, i.e. a hit on the back of the head.
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

For the subject at hand, hurdling, the risk is greater from the front as that's where the contact will me made on the hurdle.
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 12:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Unless the player injured was trying to use the head as a weapon by presenting it top first, that's not true. The risk of serious neck injury is far greater from flexion than from dorsiflexion. Dorsiflexion is what results from the head's being bent back, i.e. a front hit, while flexion results from the head's being bent forward, i.e. a hit on the back of the head.
I think you're seriously overanalyzing a rule written by coaches who simply don't want runners hurdling defenders.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Oct 03, 2013 at 01:12pm. Reason: spelling
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Honestly not understanding why you're continuing to argue this... you're barking up the wrong tree.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 01:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I think you're seriously overanalyzing a rule writting by coaches who simply don't want runners hurdling defenders.
Exactly. The rule is for safety, that is clear. Coaches and administrators wrote this rule (a very long time ago and before YouTube) and have made it a POE to emphasize the rule.

And none of us here have much or anything to do with the rule possibly changing.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 03, 2013, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Honestly not understanding why you're continuing to argue this... you're barking up the wrong tree.
I read statements, I respond to them. Where I read them or who writes them, I don't care.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Why is the 'attempt' the foul? I've called two hurdles in my 36 years on the field, coincidentally in two consecutive weeks, and the fouls were almost identical: I was the R. QB rolls to his right, turns the corner and comes face to face with the corner coming up on run support. The corner is slightly broken down--something like you see a catcher do in an old baseball movie where he's more standiong than crouching. The QB attempts to hurdle him and succeeds only in planting his shoe and lower leg into the chest and facemask of the cornerback. That's why the 'attempt' is penalized.