The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

No auto 1st down for DPI burns a team

So I've finally seen firsthand how a team can get burned by the new rule eliminating automatic first down from DPI.

Freshmen game yesterday, great back and forth. Team A drives to tie the game with just over a minute left but then promptly gives up a 65 yard run on the first play of scrimmage after the kickoff to allow B to go up by 6. A gets a relatively short kickoff and starts driving.

Anyway, with 12 seconds left, it's now 4th and 7 on the 12, clock stopped after A uses their last time out. A throws into the end zone in the corner away from me, it looks like the defender comes through the shoulder of the receiver from behind to bat away the pass, and sure enough the flag is thrown. 7 seconds on the clock, half the distance to the 6 but now 4th and 1, no timeouts. The expected "ISN'T THAT FIRST DOWN????" comes from the stands (not the sidelines, there was a similar but much less eventful DPI earlier in the game, so the coaches knew). Team A doesn't feel confident enough to risk a pass play since it's 4th down, so they run it to get the 1st down. Only 2 secs on the clock and it runs to 0 after the ready for play and spike. They're furious, home team B is celebrating, and we're running off.

I really hope that the AFD gets reinstated, at least in the red zone if not everywhere. Having 4th and 1 vs 1st and goal completely changes the play calling and strategy. But them's the rules this year.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 10:55pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
So I've finally seen firsthand how a team can get burned by the new rule eliminating automatic first down from DPI.

Freshmen game yesterday, great back and forth. Team A drives to tie the game with just over a minute left but then promptly gives up a 65 yard run on the first play of scrimmage after the kickoff to allow B to go up by 6. A gets a relatively short kickoff and starts driving.

Anyway, with 12 seconds left, it's now 4th and 7 on the 12, clock stopped after A uses their last time out. A throws into the end zone in the corner away from me, it looks like the defender comes through the shoulder of the receiver from behind to bat away the pass, and sure enough the flag is thrown. 7 seconds on the clock, half the distance to the 6 but now 4th and 1, no timeouts. The expected "ISN'T THAT FIRST DOWN????" comes from the stands (not the sidelines, there was a similar but much less eventful DPI earlier in the game, so the coaches knew). Team A doesn't feel confident enough to risk a pass play since it's 4th down, so they run it to get the 1st down. Only 2 secs on the clock and it runs to 0 after the ready for play and spike. They're furious, home team B is celebrating, and we're running off.

I really hope that the AFD gets reinstated, at least in the red zone if not everywhere. Having 4th and 1 vs 1st and goal completely changes the play calling and strategy. But them's the rules this year.
Seems like with two seconds only one play could be run regardless. No?
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 11:30pm
Small Business Owner

Post Not likely

Don't hold your breath.
The AFD for DPI is not likely to return in NFHS anytime soon.
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 11:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH View Post
Don't hold your breath.
The AFD for DPI is not likely to return in NFHS anytime soon.
Well that is not what I heard. Then again I am sure different people across the country have different perspectives how much support they have either way.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 07:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Seems like with two seconds only one play could be run regardless. No?
They had 7 seconds. Could have run two plays if the first had been a pass into the endzone.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
They had 7 seconds. Could have run two plays if the first had been a pass into the endzone.
Not on 4th and 1....unless they are hoping for another PI foul.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 09:21am
Chain of Fools

Our state super felt pretty confident that the AFD will re-enter next season.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Well, that's kind of the point though....if it was 1st down as it would have been last year, you can call two plays with throws into the EZ, or throw on 1st and leave a run/pass option on the last play or whatever. But having it be 4th down changes the calculus completely.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Um ... that's exactly his point.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 11:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Would have been 1st and goal last year. I think that was his point.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 11:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

I've given up having an opinion about the rules. Except, of course, that the other 48 states should adopt NCAA rules.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 12:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've given up having an opinion about the rules. Except, of course, that the other 48 states should adopt NCAA rules.
You think that HS officials (considering some college officials struggle with this too) fouls the determine BBW and the Tackle box? Better yet or have to get the "umpire rule" right on DPIs?

Peace
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You think that HS officials (considering some college officials struggle with this too) fouls the determine BBW and the Tackle box? Better yet or have to get the "umpire rule" right on DPIs?

Peace
OK...I'll bite...what is the "umpire rule"?

There could be some challenges to your typical HS official learning the NCAA rules but in general I think the NCAA rules are better. Low blocks is NOT one of them.
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 12:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

When you have DPI at the 17 or under, you go to the flag or the 2 yard line, which ever comes first.

I also agree that many NCAA rules might make sense, but they would not be appropriate for all the participants. Remember a lot of NF rules are for safety purposes and many NCAA rules would create more contact or more dangerous contact. And then you have to have officials that understand some basics and they don't. I see officials that do small college struggle with even simple interpretations from the NCAA. Now you want a first year guy trying to decide when you have encroachment that should be shut down or not shut down? And at least they have 7 officials at that level when some levels will have 2 in some cases where I live. No thank you!!!

Peace
Old Mon Sep 23, 2013, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Every high school official I work with would have no problem with this... then again, I'm in Texas.

West Houston Mike