View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 22, 2013, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

No auto 1st down for DPI burns a team

So I've finally seen firsthand how a team can get burned by the new rule eliminating automatic first down from DPI.

Freshmen game yesterday, great back and forth. Team A drives to tie the game with just over a minute left but then promptly gives up a 65 yard run on the first play of scrimmage after the kickoff to allow B to go up by 6. A gets a relatively short kickoff and starts driving.

Anyway, with 12 seconds left, it's now 4th and 7 on the 12, clock stopped after A uses their last time out. A throws into the end zone in the corner away from me, it looks like the defender comes through the shoulder of the receiver from behind to bat away the pass, and sure enough the flag is thrown. 7 seconds on the clock, half the distance to the 6 but now 4th and 1, no timeouts. The expected "ISN'T THAT FIRST DOWN????" comes from the stands (not the sidelines, there was a similar but much less eventful DPI earlier in the game, so the coaches knew). Team A doesn't feel confident enough to risk a pass play since it's 4th down, so they run it to get the 1st down. Only 2 secs on the clock and it runs to 0 after the ready for play and spike. They're furious, home team B is celebrating, and we're running off.

I really hope that the AFD gets reinstated, at least in the red zone if not everywhere. Having 4th and 1 vs 1st and goal completely changes the play calling and strategy. But them's the rules this year.