The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 06:36am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
How do you chart your penalties?

I've wanted to do this and haven't really found an effcient, at least in my opinion, way to do this.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 07:40am
Archaic Power Monger

One of us (usually the B but I've done it from umpire) will record all of the fouls on a voice recorder and write them down on an NCAA form after the game. From there they get recorded in our assigning program and submitted to our secretary and the coaches.

Alternatively, have each official record their own fouls with maybe somebody else writing down the R's fouls. Combine notes at half time and after the game.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 07:58am
Chain of Fools

BJ records on digital recorder then enters into the game notes on Arbiter. They can be a little hard to follow in that format
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 08:16am
TODO: creative title here

The one NCAA game where I was B, I wrote the fouls down for the entire crew. (Well, I did until the U overheated and I had to move to U... then I delegated that responsibility to F).

Depends on the crew. Some crews I've seen have each official record their own fouls, sometimes B records ALL fouls, sometimes B records fouls for B, R, and U only, sometimes B and F (or S) record all fouls.

It boils down to what your crew (or your R) wants to do.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
One of us (usually the B but I've done it from umpire) will record all of the fouls on a voice recorder and write them down on an NCAA form after the game. From there they get recorded in our assigning program and submitted to our secretary and the coaches.

Alternatively, have each official record their own fouls with maybe somebody else writing down the R's fouls. Combine notes at half time and after the game.
You must be an amazing official to be able to enforce the penalty and still have time to record it.

On our HS crew the BJ tries to record all penalties but mostly for quick review after the game. We don't have to report them anywhere.

On our college crew, each official documents their own fouls and the B covers the R and U as well. We also give a penalty card to the clip guy. The H/S help him by providing details. After the game we combine the penalty card with what everyone recorded to complete the official penalty report provided to the supervisor and coaches.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 10:17am
Do not give a damn!!

I only chart them in college and we have to write them down individually. Then during halftime or at the end of the game we correspond them with the Crew Chief. In HS we do not go that far. Half the time we do not even get a tape.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

We have our F record penalties. After the game, he runs them down with all of us to ensure none were missed.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 10:59am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
You must be an amazing official to be able to enforce the penalty and still have time to record it.
Just the opposite, I was given the award last night for worst official ever by the home team in last night's JV game.

I'm just OK, it really isn't that hard to talk quickly. Walk off the penalty and then pull out the recorder and switch it on.

"2nd quarter 2:23 false start Umpire Acme Offense #72 Accepted"

Hit stop to save the file and put the recorder back in my pocket.

I will be giving this job to our B in the future but I know it can be done in a pinch.
Old Fri Sep 20, 2013, 12:22pm
NFHS Official

I'm the LJ, and I record all the fouls. Our state association requires us to report through Arbiter.