The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   How do you chart your penalties? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/96140-how-do-you-chart-your-penalties.html)

w_sohl Fri Sep 20, 2013 06:36am

How do you chart your penalties?

I've wanted to do this and haven't really found an effcient, at least in my opinion, way to do this.

Welpe Fri Sep 20, 2013 07:40am

One of us (usually the B but I've done it from umpire) will record all of the fouls on a voice recorder and write them down on an NCAA form after the game. From there they get recorded in our assigning program and submitted to our secretary and the coaches.

Alternatively, have each official record their own fouls with maybe somebody else writing down the R's fouls. Combine notes at half time and after the game.

HLin NC Fri Sep 20, 2013 07:58am

BJ records on digital recorder then enters into the game notes on Arbiter. They can be a little hard to follow in that format

jTheUmp Fri Sep 20, 2013 08:16am

The one NCAA game where I was B, I wrote the fouls down for the entire crew. (Well, I did until the U overheated and I had to move to U... then I delegated that responsibility to F).

Depends on the crew. Some crews I've seen have each official record their own fouls, sometimes B records ALL fouls, sometimes B records fouls for B, R, and U only, sometimes B and F (or S) record all fouls.

It boils down to what your crew (or your R) wants to do.

bisonlj Fri Sep 20, 2013 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 905571)
One of us (usually the B but I've done it from umpire) will record all of the fouls on a voice recorder and write them down on an NCAA form after the game. From there they get recorded in our assigning program and submitted to our secretary and the coaches.

Alternatively, have each official record their own fouls with maybe somebody else writing down the R's fouls. Combine notes at half time and after the game.

You must be an amazing official to be able to enforce the penalty and still have time to record it.
:D

On our HS crew the BJ tries to record all penalties but mostly for quick review after the game. We don't have to report them anywhere.

On our college crew, each official documents their own fouls and the B covers the R and U as well. We also give a penalty card to the clip guy. The H/S help him by providing details. After the game we combine the penalty card with what everyone recorded to complete the official penalty report provided to the supervisor and coaches.

JRutledge Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:17am

I only chart them in college and we have to write them down individually. Then during halftime or at the end of the game we correspond them with the Crew Chief. In HS we do not go that far. Half the time we do not even get a tape.

Peace

InsideTheStripe Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:42am

We have our F record penalties. After the game, he runs them down with all of us to ensure none were missed.

Welpe Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 905579)
You must be an amazing official to be able to enforce the penalty and still have time to record it.
:D

Just the opposite, I was given the award last night for worst official ever by the home team in last night's JV game.

I'm just OK, it really isn't that hard to talk quickly. Walk off the penalty and then pull out the recorder and switch it on.

"2nd quarter 2:23 false start Umpire Acme Offense #72 Accepted"

Hit stop to save the file and put the recorder back in my pocket. :)

I will be giving this job to our B in the future but I know it can be done in a pinch.

OKREF Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:22pm

I'm the LJ, and I record all the fouls. Our state association requires us to report through Arbiter.