The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 10:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
So no answer then?

The play was over with 15 seconds left when it was blown dead. An Arizona State player laid on top of the ball with 12 seconds left for eight seconds followed by the official refusing to spot the ball.

Justify them ever working again.
I gave you an answer, but I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Fanboy rants often do not work here.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

The officials blew the play dead when A put the ball on the ground. A couple of seconds later, B jumps on the ball and covers it.

If the play had not ended so unusually, would you have allowed B to cover the ball and lay on it, especially given the game situation? Does the unusual end of the play give B more latitude to take advantage of the situation?
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 11:26am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I gave you an answer, but I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Fanboy rants often do not work here.

Peace
I've refuted every point you made. The officials correctly ruled that Stave took a knee. That happened with 15 seconds left. They then allowed a defensive player to lay on the ball for 7 seconds. They should have flagged him for delay of game, or at the very least stopped the clock to end the confusion. Wisconsin was at the line to spike the ball with 10+ seconds on the clock, so your three second rule doesn't apply either.

It's not a fan boy rant. It's what happened. The officials failed in every aspect of their job. They may as well have been out in the parking lot.

If you're not outraged, you're not understanding what took place.

They had ample opportunity to fix their errors, and instead they just jogged off the field.

Last edited by hbk314; Sun Sep 15, 2013 at 11:30am.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

This was not a good game for the crew all around. Missing a spot by four feet and a phantom USC somehow got trumped by the debacle of the last play.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 02:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Outraged by what? A player that does not know how to down the ball?

I have never seen a player do something so silly before. So what am I supposed to be upset by? I am sure the crew never saw such a silly player act as well.

Sorry it is just another Saturday from my point of view.

You keep talking about what the crew did not do but I have not heard what they should have done from your point of view.

Maybe then I might get outraged, but I doubt it.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 02:46pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
If you're not outraged, you're not understanding what took place.
Or some of us really don't give a rat's rear end. If it bothers you that badly, call the Big Whatever and fuss at them.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 03:58pm
In Time Out

Quote:

I have never seen a player do something so silly before. So what am I supposed to be upset by? I am sure the crew never saw such a silly player act as well.

Sorry it is just another Saturday from my point of view.

You keep talking about what the crew did not do but I have not heard what they should have done from your point of view.

Maybe then I might get outraged, but I doubt it.

Peace
How can I possibly be more clear?

Stave took the knee with 15 seconds left. The pay wad immediately whistled dead. Stave went back to the line to snap the ball to spike it to stop the clock, but was unable to do so because the officials let an ASU player lay on the ball for 7 seconds. The officials at that point should have either flagged ASU for delay of game or simply stopped the clock to properly spot it.

All of this could have been fixed, but the officials were in too big of a hurry to get off the field instead of doing their jobs.

No guarantee that Wisconsin makes the field goal, but it's nothing short of a total screwjob that they were denied the opportunity.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but it's nothing short of a total screwjob that they were denied the opportunity.
So, how much did you lose on this game?
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 05:09pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
So, how much did you lose on this game?
Nothing. It's just the worst bit of officiating I've seen in years.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can't see the video, but if he set the ball on the ground simultaneously with taking a knee, probably it was because he thought he'd get the officials to make the ball RFP sooner if he put it down for them.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 05:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
How can I possibly be more clear?

Stave took the knee with 15 seconds left. The pay wad immediately whistled dead. Stave went back to the line to snap the ball to spike it to stop the clock, but was unable to do so because the officials let an ASU player lay on the ball for 7 seconds. The officials at that point should have either flagged ASU for delay of game or simply stopped the clock to properly spot it.

All of this could have been fixed, but the officials were in too big of a hurry to get off the field instead of doing their jobs.

No guarantee that Wisconsin makes the field goal, but it's nothing short of a total screwjob that they were denied the opportunity.
I do not know what letting 15 seconds as you say has to do with getting off the field. If the time went off that much, then they should have stopped the clock. But when the next play is run you cannot go back and fix that, which is why I put this on the QB for his actions. He did something so unusual, it took everyone a few seconds to figure it out. And I did not say that the officials could not have handled it better, but they certainly had a player do something so silly. If anything it should have been a fumble and the game was over as ASU would have had the ball. But the officials blew the whistle so that ended that possiblity. If anything this is on Wisconsin IMO. And I do not find outrage in something they created or did not teach properly. At some point players have to know the rules and leave no doubt for the officials. Because the situation was so unusal, this put the officials in a spot where they would have made no one happy. Becaues if they stopped the clock like you say, then Wisconsin gets time to kick a FG which would have ended in controversy as well. Sorry, no sympathy for Wisconsin on this one.

I understand exactly what you are saying, I just do not agree with you. I do not see this as a travesty or something the officials are responsible for. Sorry, I saw the play and was like WTF is the QB doing?

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sun Sep 15, 2013 at 06:01pm.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 06:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I can't see the video, but if he set the ball on the ground simultaneously with taking a knee, probably it was because he thought he'd get the officials to make the ball RFP sooner if he put it down for them.
He did not take a knee, the QB just put the ball on the ground while standing up. ASU treated it like a fumble and rightfully jumped all the ball. But that was not necessarily on the officials, that was on the Wisconsin player.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 06:14pm
In Time Out

You missed the part where he took a knee. That was the point the play was blown dead. That's why I'm saying 7 seconds is way too long to let a "confused" player lay on the ball. The play was clearly and correctly called a kneel down.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

The sun has risen and set since this happened. I'm sure if the powers that be determine that sanctions are warranted, they will be administered.

In he end, if your kicker can't hit a 33 yard field goal from the right hash, your 20th ranked team has more issues than a QB screwing up.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, but I don't really see the problem (personally, I don't really like either team), other than the fact that the whistle blew prematurely. I would have called this a fumble. NOW, if they want to rule him down here based on intent to take a knee, that's fine, but the actions of the defense by getting on the ball are reasonable. I've been watching football my entire life - over 40 years and I've never, ever seen a QB do anything like that. There's no way in hell I'm flagging the D for jumping on the ball, and if I ruled it down we will get it ready as soon as possible. In this case, the QB doesn't know how to take a knee and that's their problem, not the officials'.

Had this happened when time was not a factor, no one would have even remembered it. I don't know why the U held the play up but if his explanation is even remotely reasonable, there's NO officiating problem here.

You can't do something strange and expect the officials to behave as if you did something everyone sees at every game.