The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   End of Wisconsin - Arizona State game (https://forum.officiating.com/football/96111-end-wisconsin-arizona-state-game.html)

hbk314 Sun Sep 15, 2013 01:18am

End of Wisconsin - Arizona State game

No video to post yet, but it should be the biggest story in college football from the weekend.

Someone explain to me how any official on that field ever gets work again.

JRutledge Sun Sep 15, 2013 01:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbk314 (Post 904978)
No video to post yet, but it should be the biggest story in college football from the weekend.

Someone explain to me how any official on that field ever gets work again.

Couple things at play. If you put the ball down, you are not down by rule.

Secondly, if the ball is downed, then you do not get to "clock" the ball with less then 3 seconds while the clock is running (New rule).

Either way, justice was done.

Full discloser, my mom went to Wisconsin and I am kind of a fan when they are not playing my first love (Michigan). The Wisconsin QB should be shot for stupidity.

Peace

hbk314 Sun Sep 15, 2013 01:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 904979)
Couple things at play. If you put the ball down, you are not down by rule.

Secondly, if the ball is downed, then you do not get to "clock" the ball with less then 3 seconds while the clock is running (New rule).

Either way, justice was done.

Full discloser, my mom went to Wisconsin and I am kind of a fan when they are not playing my first love (Michigan). The Wisconsin QB should be shot for stupidity.

Peace

So no answer then?

The play was over with 15 seconds left when it was blown dead. An Arizona State player laid on top of the ball with 12 seconds left for eight seconds followed by the official refusing to spot the ball.

Justify them ever working again.

hbk314 Sun Sep 15, 2013 01:45am

http://twitpic.com/ddk0v6

His knee also does appear to be down, supported by the play being blown dead at that point by the officials.

APG Sun Sep 15, 2013 01:51am

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a 26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJ nI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:9676858&thr uParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

APG Sun Sep 15, 2013 02:02am

As to your question, why is this a fireable offense in your opinion? If the conference deems they didn't follow the proper mechanics, there are other methods of punishment rather than outright firing, for one play.

hbk314 Sun Sep 15, 2013 02:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 904984)
As to your question, why is this a fireable offense in your opinion? If the conference deems they didn't follow the proper mechanics, there are other methods of punishment rather than outright firing, for one play.

Other than the infamous Oklahoma-Oregon onside kick game, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a more massive failure in game officiating.

They failed with an official standing on top of the ball to spot it in 14 seconds.

They failed to throw a delay of game flag when a defensive player laid on the ball for 8 seconds.

They just ran off the field as if nothing had happened.

They failed miserably in every aspect of their job. It's not like there was a split-second judgment involved. This involved failure on the entire crew's part.

There's nothing that can be said to defend any of it.

Obviously I'm not expecting them to actually be fired, but if ever an official was going to lose his/her job for on-field performance, this would be it.

hbk314 Sun Sep 15, 2013 02:44am

http://www.wissports.net/news_articl...rrer_id=939695

APG Sun Sep 15, 2013 02:49am

The defender was on top of the ball for that period of time because he, among with the entire defense, and I'm betting the umpire thought the QB fumbled the ball. The resulting confusion as to what happened on the play meant the defense wasn't going to get a DOG penalty on that play.

hbk314 Sun Sep 15, 2013 03:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 904987)
The defender was on top of the ball for that period of time because he, among with the entire defense, and I'm betting the umpire thought the QB fumbled the ball. The resulting confusion as to what happened on the play meant the defense wasn't going to get a DOG penalty on that play.

The play was blown dead with 15 seconds left on the clock. 10 seconds later the defender was finally letting go of the ball. That's way too long to be accepted as mere "confusion."

The very least they should have done would have been to review the play and spot the ball properly with the correct amount of time on the clock.

Wisconsin being denied a game-winning field goal opportunity, whether it from the 15 or the 10 after a DOG penalty, is 100% on the officials, and there's nothing that can be said to change that.

hbk314 Sun Sep 15, 2013 03:15am

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/9/15/47...te-officiating

Another good summary.

Adam Sun Sep 15, 2013 08:02am

Going to reserve judgment until I see video, but if your argument hinges on summaries from fan sites and an inconclusive still picture, you're not going to convince anyone here.

mplagrow Sun Sep 15, 2013 08:11am

My take on it

I went to bed confused, last night, as to why the QB would think that setting the ball on the ground constituted giving himself up. Not until I saw the rear angle of the play could I actually tell that he did, in fact, down the ball. Whether he did or not is really a moot point, because the ref blew the whistle. To me, the officiating crew seemed completely unaware of the time left, as there was no urgency to retrieve the ball and set it for play. Watch the umpire's actions and body language after the whistle. While casually asking for the ball, he stopped and chatted with another Arizona lineman. Then he raised his hand and made the offensive line wait. Is there any way that they could have stopped and conferred instead of dashing off the field, to make sure they got it right?

hbk314 Sun Sep 15, 2013 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 904991)
Going to reserve judgment until I see video, but if your argument hinges on summaries from fan sites and an inconclusive still picture, you're not going to convince anyone here.

I'll be interested to see what you have to say after you see it, because I don't think there's much room for interpretation.

Suudy Sun Sep 15, 2013 09:49am

Here's the video:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/JQmNYPOgx40?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/JQmNYPOgx40?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>