The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 12, 2013, 02:10pm
Official & ***** Member

Far be it from me to pile on, BigJohn, but you're 100% wrong. The stiff-arm is legal & the QB did not lower his head to deliver a blow or punish the defender with his helmet.

Remember: Not all helmet-to-helmet contact is illegal.
Old Thu Sep 12, 2013, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Honestly at the HS level, it does not happened that often. Players are have been taught to not do these things. I cannot think of many times I have even seen a launch other then sometimes on a block. Then again, still rather rare. It has been called, but not every game or every other game. Usually a player misses.

Peace
I agree. Most HS games I work don't see the type of targeting/launching seen at the college and NFL level. There is some, but it won't be as hard to get out of the HS game.
Old Thu Sep 12, 2013, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed, the speed of the collegiate and pro game is so much greater than that of the HS game, creating more opportunities for launching/targeting.
Old Thu Sep 12, 2013, 03:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
it got down in the 40s by 4th quarter.
I need to move.
Old Thu Sep 12, 2013, 03:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
I agree. Most HS games I work don't see the type of targeting/launching seen at the college and NFL level. There is some, but it won't be as hard to get out of the HS game.
I've seen a few launch like targeting fouls in HS games here but they are few and far between compared to college.
Old Thu Sep 12, 2013, 03:23pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's an easy foul for the R. I find it sad that the wings couldn't keep up with kids that young, though.
I don't know if it was as much can't as won't. He was trailing fine for a while and then started mailing it in.
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I don't know if it was as much can't as won't. He was trailing fine for a while and then started mailing it in.
Many wing officials accept the challenge to cross the goal line WITH the runner, no matter how long the run. However, in a 3 or 4 man configuration there's often nobody following the wing official watching what's going on behind the runner.

On a long run, the Referee and Umpire can be delayed by action around the original scrimmage line, so once the runner appears in the clear, the wing official slows down to observe the trailing action, but often that area 15 yards, or more behind the runner and a long way from the original scrimmage line is likely an expanding "no man's land" to some extent, in 3 or 4 man coverage.

The solution, of course, is adding a 4th, 5th or 6th man, which is a game management decision.
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Many wing officials accept the challenge to cross the goal line WITH the runner, no matter how long the run. However, in a 3 or 4 man configuration there's often nobody following the wing official watching what's going on behind the runner.

On a long run, the Referee and Umpire can be delayed by action around the original scrimmage line, so once the runner appears in the clear, the wing official slows down to observe the trailing action, but often that area 15 yards, or more behind the runner and a long way from the original scrimmage line is likely an expanding "no man's land" to some extent, in 3 or 4 man coverage.

The solution, of course, is adding a 4th, 5th or 6th man, which is a game management decision.
I disagree, quite a bit actually. The linesman running with the runner needs to be there with or ahead of the runner. (Signalling a TD while running looks absurd), and should be looking at the trailing action from in FRONT (i.e. with the runner). The opposite linesman can and should trail the action to pick up what you're calling no-man's land. I do agree that R could be far behind the play, especially if there's no U, as he should not pass players to pick up the trail of the play --- he could just as easily miss transgressions behind him were he to do so.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 11:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I disagree, quite a bit actually. The linesman running with the runner needs to be there with or ahead of the runner. (Signalling a TD while running looks absurd), and should be looking at the trailing action from in FRONT (i.e. with the runner). The opposite linesman can and should trail the action to pick up what you're calling no-man's land. I do agree that R could be far behind the play, especially if there's no U, as he should not pass players to pick up the trail of the play --- he could just as easily miss transgressions behind him were he to do so.
In a 3-man or 4-man crew, I agree. There's nobody on the goal line. The wing has to try to get there.

In 5-man, I'd rather the wing trail the runner unless the pylon's threatened. The BJ has the goal line.

In 6-man and 7-man, there's a deep wing on the pylon already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I agree with the R hanging back. I won't pass opposing players if I'm the R. If there's just one player from one team, I'll pass him, but remember that he's there.
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 12:15pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Speaking from a practical standpoint:

Many youth leagues play multiple games back-to-back using the same 3 officials for all games. If we're working a three-game set in hot weather, and a player breaks for an obvious TD, I don't have a problem with my wings "saving steps".

Would I *prefer* that he lead the runner? Sure. But I don't have a hissy fit if he's a little ways behind as long as he can officiate what he needs to.
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Speaking from a practical standpoint:

Many youth leagues play multiple games back-to-back using the same 3 officials for all games. If we're working a three-game set in hot weather, and a player breaks for an obvious TD, I don't have a problem with my wings "saving steps".

Would I *prefer* that he lead the runner? Sure. But I don't have a hissy fit if he's a little ways behind as long as he can officiate what he needs to.
I would not want anyone leading the runner in any situation like that or any set of mechanics as a short wing. You are going to get in the middle of the play if you are leading the runner and be more in survival mode then officiating mode.

But you are certainly right about doing multiple games.

Peace