The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 10:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

DPI - First time replaying the down

First experience with the horrible new enforcement of DPI.

3rd and 27. Deep pass to a wide open receiver. Defensive player goes right through the back of the receiver. After enforcement, it's 3rd and 12. Team ends up turning the ball over on downs.

Amazing thing is that nobody, NOBODY argued for an AFD. I mean, we still have people argue for those on garden variety personal fouls that have NEVER been AFD.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, haven't had my first yet. Sounds like the defender knew the rule change and decided to take advantage of it!
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Had first KCI on a free-kick (K kicks it high from left hash, K catches it at the K 49 opposite side of field). R coach was very happy to have the ball PLUS 15 yards. Still doesn't make up for what they did with DPI though
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:16pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn View Post
Had first KCI on a free-kick (K kicks it high from left hash, K catches it at the K 49 opposite side of field). R coach was very happy to have the ball PLUS 15 yards. Still doesn't make up for what they did with DPI though
I saw that type play in 2005. Made me glad I found this site the following summer. I blasted the officials saying K should have the ball since the ball went ten yards. My dad was listening online and called me when I got home, telling me to look up the rule. I did and publicly apologized on air the following game for getting the rule wrong.

Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:19pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg View Post
I did and publicly apologized on air the following game for getting the rule wrong.
Good for you!
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I can see the smart coaches teaching kids to interfere in the endzone. Small yardage and way better than a touchdown.

I don't think anyone thought of this when making the rule change.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 12:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
I can see the smart coaches teaching kids to interfere in the endzone. Small yardage and way better than a touchdown.

This is caused by the lack of officials on the committee or the people that represent states. If there were mostly officials, I think someone would have told them this was a problem. Instead people that do not enforce rules never think of the possibilities. And yes someone will give me one example of a guy that is an official or once was an official having a say, but it is obviously not enough voices to stop the NF from these stupid rulings.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 01:10pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is caused by the lack of officials on the committee or the people that represent states. If there were mostly officials, I think someone would have told them this was a problem. Instead people that do not enforce rules never think of the possibilities. And yes someone will give me one example of a guy that is an official or once was an official having a say, but it is obviously not enough voices to stop the NF from these stupid rulings.

Peace
Agree all around.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 03:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Yeah, haven't had my first yet. Sounds like the defender knew the rule change and decided to take advantage of it!
Nope. Guarantee he had no clue. Just worked out for them.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 03:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

That's funny you had it in your first game because I've heard more than a few people say it will almost never make a difference.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 03:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
That's funny you had it in your first game because I've heard more than a few people say it will almost never make a difference.
Not the first game. We're in Week 2 and it was my fourth or so game of the season.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 04:36pm
Archaic Power Monger

Oh yeah...we're in Zero week here so I guess I was thinking it was your first week.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That's why they need study committees who'll look thru archives not only of their own rules committee, but those of other governing bodies. Once in a while they actually do convene such committees, but not often enough. Not enough institutional memory.

In this case, if Fed looked back to near their rules committee's inception, they'd see that serious consideration was given to changing the rules to award a TD in such situations, even if the foul were not deliberate. They could at least benefit from looking at the discussion of proposals like that.

It's at least slightly amusing that over a long enough period of time, some rules provisions have gone back & forth more than once between two versions. Each way they had it had pluses & minuses, but they were always the same pluses & minuses, so you'd think they'd settle on one or the other, or something else. But it was always a long enough period of time that hardly anybody knew of the previous cycle.

JRutledge wrote:
Quote:
That would help, but I don't think it's their main problem. I think they get enough input that way, maybe could use a little more.

I've seen the result when they don't get input that way, though. It was the rule book written by the IWFL several years ago. It is perhaps the world's worst example of technical writing. Their head of officials was left out of the loop and saw the awful product too late.

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Fri Aug 30, 2013 at 05:29pm.
Old Sun Sep 01, 2013, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think in most situations where a defender is close enough to intentionally interfere like we are talking about is in position to play the ball instead. A coach would be crazy to teach it in this situation.

I still don't think it will happen that often. It will happen but I'd be surprised if any official sees it more than once or twice in a varsity season.
Old Mon Sep 02, 2013, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Does Fed have spot of the foul up to 15 yard enforcement like the NCAA?

No AFD is just NUTS! The other night in a JV game we had 2 DPIs inside the 5 -- one in the end zone -- and the offensive team STILL didn't score with about 9 plays. They were penalized themselves a couple of times and ended up committing grounding on 4th and goal from around the 15. I think we played like 4 consecutive first downs!