The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Need help with kicking rules and regs

Hello everyone, I have a question that I CAN NOT find the answers to, and im really hoping someone here can help.

My brother is in 7th grade going into 8th and has just started kicking/punting for the football team. Im trying to help him get better and i have been doing a lot of research. I bought him the 2'' kicking block and plan on buying him the 2'' kickoff tee also. My problem is his coach has him kicking field goals off the ground and from all my research it says he shouldnt be doing that till college. Long story short I can not find any rules about the kicking blocks and tees. I want to approach his coach about him using the block and bigger tee but i would like to have the rules. Does anyone know where i can find the rules on kicking tee and blocks? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 06:43pm
TODO: creative title here

Sadly, the NFHS (ie: high school) rulebook is not (legally, at least) available for free online, but if you search the darker corners of the internet you'll probably find it easily enough.

I've pasted the appropriate rules below
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFHS 1-3-4
Rule: 1-3-4
ART. 4 . . . A kicking tee shall be made of pliable material which elevates the lowest point of the ball no more than 2 inches above the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFHS 2-42-7
Rule: 2-24-7
ART. 7 . . . A place kick is a legal kick made while the ball is in a fixed position on the ground or on a kicking tee. No material or device may be placed on the ground to improve the kicker's footing. The ball also may be held in position on the ground or on a kicking tee by a place-kick holder who shall be a teammate of the kicker. A place kick may be used for a scrimmage kick, a kickoff, a free kick following a safety or for a free kick following a fair catch or awarded fair catch.
Of course, YMMV if for some strange reason your league doesn't use NFHS rules.
Old Tue May 28, 2013, 10:42pm
Chain of Fools

Under NFHS rules the tee MAY be used but it is not required. I'd be real careful how you present your thoughts to his coach. Coach may have a reason, not shared with a brother, as to why he doesn't want a tee used. Also, and not knowing your family dynamic, but shouldn't approaching the coach be a parent's role? If you are his legal guardian, that is one thing, but some coaches might not take your comments well if you come across the wrong way.

In my area, we rarely see this age group attempt a FG or PAT.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:19am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
In my area, we rarely see this age group attempt a FG or PAT.
Same here. But it does happen occasionally... some Jr High leagues actually modify the rules to give 2 points for a PAT, and 1 point for a "2-point conversion", specifically to encourage Jr High teams to try to develop placekickers.

Of course, I generally think they'd be better off plucking a kid off the soccer team, but that's neither here nor there.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 08:52pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
I generally think they'd be better off plucking a kid off the soccer team
My son's MS team tried that. Meh
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Under NCAA rules, used by Texas and Mass. HS and jr high, a tee may not be used except on place kicks. However, Texas high school rules have modified that and allow the tee on field goals. There is no restriction on using anything for a tee other than it can't elevate the ball higher than 2" off the ground. Size and shape are not covered by the rule.